Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17584508 09/07/22
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
In the past couple years I've started seeing something that is weird to me .. right-handed people reeling with their left hand. We never did that. Traditional way was to have the rod in the right hand casting and fighting fish when we were using the left to manage loose line but switching the rod to the left hand if we were reeling in or fighting fish on the reel. The only people who had the handle on the left side were the crazy south paws. When did reeling from the left become a thing for right-handers?

Which "handed" are you, and what do you do? Just curious ...

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Been reeling with the left for over 50 years. I guess I should point out I am right-handed.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/07/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I,m LH but prefer to reel a Fly reel RH side

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reel with my left hand flyfishing.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Right handed, reel with my right hand. To do otherwise feels totally foreign.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’m right handed, cast with right and reel with right. My dad taught me how to fish and all his rods were set up that way. At some point in time my dad switched and now he casts right and reels left.

Went fishing with my brother in law and he brought all the gear. He thought I was right hand cast left hand retrieve so brought a rod rigged that way. Once I got a fish on the reel, I couldn’t make my left hand work the reel to save my as.

Last edited by Farming; 09/07/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im right handed

Cast right, reel left.

That goes for everything- fly fishing, spinning, bait caster

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Im right handed

Cast right, reel left.

That goes for everything- fly fishing, spinning, bait caster

This^^^^^^

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with the old timers. Cast with my right, manage line with my left, real with the right.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cast (sort of!) with my right, reel with my left. Right arm is stronger and I don't want to be switching hands when I am in the thick of it!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would you switch hands back and forth on the rod? That seems ass backward. i'm left handed, cast left reel right with everything.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by NMiller
Why would you switch hands back and forth on the rod? That seems ass backward. i'm left handed, cast left reel right with everything.

+1 I’m exactly the same.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most all saltwater fly guys I have been around reel with their dominant hand. The few trout guys I been around reel with nondominant hand.
Doesnt seem to be a steadfast rule. Im a saltwater guy. Every reel I have for salt is set up for my dominant hand. For tarpon and bonefish you can end up in your backing. If the fish turns and runs back at you. You need to reel a lot of line in quickly. Generally you get a long run at hook set so there is plenty of time to switch hands. Right or wrong after 25 years I doubt I will change up. PS my one trout set up is nondominant. The shop that set it up just asked if I was right or left hand. I commented that all my salt setups were dominant reel and the guy just looked at me and said “well that aint the way we do it for trout” since I was there to learn I just rolled with it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Right handed, reel with my right hand. To do otherwise feels totally foreign.

Left handed and I do it the same way. Leads to some confusion when you ask how to spool the line or set up a reel.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm anything but ambidextrous. The important stuff must be done right handed. Switching hands to wind a reel has become second nature, I do it without thinking. I've little background in spinning reels, it's been around 50 years since I last manipulated one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am left handed and use a right hand reel. I never change hand positions.

To me the reel is a line storage device not something that I use to reel in the fish.

I developed a way to deal with the line when I fished the Madison river for trout. I didn't use the handle on the reel. I would strip in line as I fought the fish then using the palm of the hand would spin the rim of the reel taking up the loose line far more quickly than reeling. Of course the reel has to be the style with a rim that revolves with the spool. Oh sure I would crank the handle at times but when the action is fast, IMO, it is just too slow to deal with slack line.

An alternative to reeling is the vivarelli reel. It is lightweight and a pumping action takes up the slack line.

https://francovivarelli.com/shop/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right handed, cast (sort of) right handed, reel with left hand.

Spinning gear is left hand retrieve.

Only have one baitcaster, and its right hand retrieve, but after using it a short while, I wish it were left hand retrieve, but it is fine as is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
laugh laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Farming
I’m right handed, cast with right and reel with right. .

Thats how I learned to fly fish..simple matter to transfer the rod to the left hand once a fish was on, and when I started all reels were set up for right hand reeling. Took some effort but most could be converted to left hand. I just never did.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.