Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Until you have gone into a real alder thicket with a 24" barrel you have no idea how ridiculously long it is...
Isn’t that the damn truth!

I couldn’t agree more! One of my first moose hunts I was toting my .300 WM through an alder thicket with lots of brown bear sign. I haven’t hunted that particular area since then, but a 20” 9.3x62 would be about perfect for it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading Walter Bell's "Small bores versus big bores", I think I would take good 308 and become proficient with it as he was with his rifles, the man killed 1011 elephants and countless lions and buffalo's and other game with 7mm Mauser. He also used 256 Gibbs with which he killed all sorts of game for over 100 natives to eat daily.

Last edited by duke61; 09/24/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Back for resupply. Been too warm. Fking blackflies everywhere, low moose population.

Lotta gibberish in this here thread so pay attention:
375 h&h is a piss-poor do-all for Alaska.

Most are too long and heavy for hunting in the mountains. Winter caribou by dog team, too bulky. Too much recoil for extended shooting sessions, sharpening your skills for the longish, treeless alaska shots. Not ideal hoofing mountains.

A 9.3x62 would be much better "all-rounder". But very limited choices for lighter bullets for extended range practice. Still too heavy for the Mountains. In light guns, too much recoil. Still too much bullet for 30 mph winds/treeless alaska winter caribou.

.338 calibers:
About ideal one-gun. Scores of high bc 225 grainers that buck winds very well. Low enough recoil that you can get decent practice in light-weight guns.

Anchoring shots on moose, where the big bulls need to be on the dry bank, not seconds later in a muskeg swamp or in the river, to be blasted into a wood pile up, lots of good 250 grainers. I run the 275 grain a-frames, which are a great moose bullet for big bulls called to the river.

308/30-06. Very few available 220 grainers like the .338's. At 225 grains, the 338's are just getting warmed up.

For anchoring big bulls on the dry bank and bear protection in spring/summer:

I have a massive pile of 30 caliber 220 grain partitions, and those fkn things costed more than 300 grain 9.3 a-frames, or 250 grain a-frames, or 275 grain a-frames. Currently, there are none in stock, anywhere.

180 grainers: good for extended range practice with tolerable recoil, great for mountains, winter caribou, spring bear, calling in wolves etc.

For youth guns and mountain rifles, the 308 winchester edges out the 30-06.

With lever revolution powder, the 308 winchester gives an easy 2700 fps with 180 grainers, 2600 fps with 200 grainers, and 2480 fps from 220 grain partitions. All with minimal recoil from a 6 lb. mountain rifle.

Below 308 winchester/30-06: no fkn thank you. Not really an "all-rounder"

Lightweight 338 win mag, 338-06, 338 rcm or 338 rpm (that new weatherby), about the most ideal Alaskan calibers ever made.

What's usually kicking round my dog sled or canoe as general purpose stuff:

308 winchester/220 grain partition, 338 rcm 225 grain interbond/225 grain fusion, 338 rcm 275 grain a-frame, 9.3x62 300 grain a-frames

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don't know about an 375h&h in that part of the world but indo have an nice handy 375 Ruger but again it's not exactly light.

Your aware I also have the Ruger compact 338RCM and it is perhaps the best hunting rifle I have had. It's just about perfect in size and weight, has iron sights and mine has an optic and and now an Aimpoint 9000 in QD mounts. It's like an tiny express rifle. Like you mentioned it's fast enough for longer shots yet can throw fairly heavy lead and the package is not oversized. Mine gets used for elk and carry in grizzly areas in the northern rockies. Ironically the most dangerous or formidable thing I've used in Alaska is an chainsaw. My time there was for work only and no other pursuits.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Olepine,
You, gunner500 and beretz know your sht. I've always been impressed with the three of you.

Yah, for a lefty, you should be on cloud 9 to be toting that 338 rcm "micro-dangerous game" gun. Ruger treated you good! Left handed shooters only ever got meat n taters, common deer hunting cartridges.

Man thats cool you did some saw work up here. Dang are there some impressive chainsaw scars up here on some old fellers n woodsman back before good chain brakes and safety chain.

But don't worry, these new-age no-torque beta-male stihl-born saws couldn't cut their way out of a brown paper bag.

Im Selling one now, going back to pre-chain brake muscle saw for milling:

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/tls/d/fort-wainwright-stihl-ms-881-magnum/7537628321.html

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/24/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Until you have gone into a real alder thicket with a 24" barrel you have no idea how ridiculously long it is...
Isn’t that the damn truth!

I couldn’t agree more! One of my first moose hunts I was toting my .300 WM through an alder thicket with lots of brown bear sign. I haven’t hunted that particular area since then, but a 20” 9.3x62 would be about perfect for it.

The Original post:

If you were to have just one caliber ?
To cover most of the bigger animals in alaska what caliber would you choose?

So now my question to you fellas…… Are Alder Thickets the only place that game is found in Alaska? So….do your sheep, mt. goats, and caribou reside there as well? 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/24/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by memtb
So now my question to you fellas…… Are Alder Thickets the only place that game is found in Alaska? So….do your sheep, mt. goats, and caribou reside there as well? 😉 memtb

Well … sometimes (oftentimes?) you need to go through said alders to get up to where the sheep/goats/‘bou reside.
😉

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During my 3yr stint in AK in the early 90s, I carried a Ruger 77 Tanger in 338WM that I purchased at Long Drug on C St. Never felt under gunned. I did however wish I had stainless/synthetic rifle, but at the time stainless/synthetic rifles were pretty much unheard of, and certainly not seen in the gun shops I visited in Anchorage or the valley.

After the first season of hunting I sent the barrel action to the lower 48 and had it Teflon coated - Cerakote and Dura-cote weren't heard of at the time. Even finding a place to Teflon coat was a little trying.

During the same off-season I but a Brown Precision stock on it - my first synthetic stock. It was a lot of work finishing up the Brown blank with the mold lines still showing. Bedding it was easy by comparison!

Got plenty of strange looks when carrying that gun with the 'plastic stock'. But look at where we're at today!

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

No there’s also Devilsclub thickets as well. 😁

It’s not so much as everything lives in the alder thickets as much as WHAT lives in the alder thickets. You usually gotta go through the thickets at the lower elevations to get to the sheep and goats at higher elevations. In many places in Alaska alder thickets and devilsclub are just a fact of life that you have to deal with.

It’s better to plan around the worst conditions you know for a fact you’ll face then it is to plan around the best conditions hoped for.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Well … sometimes (oftentimes?) you need to go through said alders to get up to where the sheep/goats/‘bou reside.
😉

Missed this reply but it’s the TRUTH!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Back for resupply. Been too warm. Fking blackflies everywhere, low moose population.

Lotta gibberish in this here thread so pay attention:
375 h&h is a piss-poor do-all for Alaska.

Most are too long and heavy for hunting in the mountains. Winter caribou by dog team, too bulky. Too much recoil for extended shooting sessions, sharpening your skills for the longish, treeless alaska shots. Not ideal hoofing mountains.

A 9.3x62 would be much better "all-rounder". But very limited choices for lighter bullets for extended range practice. Still too heavy for the Mountains. In light guns, too much recoil. Still too much bullet for 30 mph winds/treeless alaska winter caribou.

.338 calibers:
About ideal one-gun. Scores of high bc 225 grainers that buck winds very well. Low enough recoil that you can get decent practice in light-weight guns.

Anchoring shots on moose, where the big bulls need to be on the dry bank, not seconds later in a muskeg swamp or in the river, to be blasted into a wood pile up, lots of good 250 grainers. I run the 275 grain a-frames, which are a great moose bullet for big bulls called to the river.

308/30-06. Very few available 220 grainers like the .338's. At 225 grains, the 338's are just getting warmed up.

For anchoring big bulls on the dry bank and bear protection in spring/summer:

I have a massive pile of 30 caliber 220 grain partitions, and those fkn things costed more than 300 grain 9.3 a-frames, or 250 grain a-frames, or 275 grain a-frames. Currently, there are none in stock, anywhere.

180 grainers: good for extended range practice with tolerable recoil, great for mountains, winter caribou, spring bear, calling in wolves etc.

For youth guns and mountain rifles, the 308 winchester edges out the 30-06.

With lever revolution powder, the 308 winchester gives an easy 2700 fps with 180 grainers, 2600 fps with 200 grainers, and 2480 fps from 220 grain partitions. All with minimal recoil from a 6 lb. mountain rifle.

Below 308 winchester/30-06: no fkn thank you. Not really an "all-rounder"

Lightweight 338 win mag, 338-06, 338 rcm or 338 rpm (that new weatherby), about the most ideal Alaskan calibers ever made.

What's usually kicking round my dog sled or canoe as general purpose stuff:

308 winchester/220 grain partition, 338 rcm 225 grain interbond/225 grain fusion, 338 rcm 275 grain a-frame, 9.3x62 300 grain a-frames

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes

😉

I carried a longbow through some alder thickets on two caribou hunts, and trudged around the SE AK rainforests with a 23" rifle. You really need to experience it to understand.

Originally Posted by duke61
After reading Walter Bell's "Small bores versus big bores", I think I would take good 308 and become proficient with it as he was with his rifles, the man killed 1011 elephants and countless lions and buffalo's and other game with 7mm Mauser. He also used 256 Gibbs with which he killed all sorts of game for over 100 natives to eat daily.

Apples and oranges, Heavy for caliber solids vs modern expanding bullets. Now if had said 338 Federal..... grin

For my original post, I went with what I had in my safe.

A 338RCM would be good too. I was already deep into 338-06's before it came out. Sourcing ammo is the same trouble as a 338-06 at this point. From a truly practical standpoint a 338WM would get the nod.

I would prefer a lightweight 375 H&H to an 06, but that is just me. Have never been enamored with 30 caliber anything. But then I do not have a lot of experience with the 30's either. The experience I do have, they worked, but nothing earth shattering.

Last edited by CRS; 09/24/22.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don’t currently own one, but if limited to one cartridge it would be a.308.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Phil (.458Win) writes that his daughter uses her .416 Rem for everything, including caribou. Works for her and doubt she ever comes up short. Of course, she can shoot it.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Phil (.458Win) writes that his daughter uses her .416 Rem for everything, including caribou. Works for her and doubt she ever comes up short. Of course, she can shoot it.

DF

Yep, but she also has to sort things out when a client screws up.

I am more than a little enamored with my 416 at the moment. Trying to figure out a way back to Africa for some buffalo as a matter of fact. Would work as a one gun do it all in AK, but mine is longer and heavier package. Me thinks my 338-06 is a better all rounder from gun safes.

Your 375 would fit the bill too. In fact, should ever decide to part ways with that one.... Do not advertise it, just PM me. Dead serious cool

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS

DF

I am more than a little enamored with my 416 at the moment. Trying to figure out a way back to Africa for some buffalo as a matter of fact. Would work as a one gun do it all in AK, but mine is longer and heavier package. Me thinks my 338-06 is a better all rounder from gun safes.

Your 375 would fit the bill too. In fact, should ever decide to part ways with that one.... Do not advertise it, just PM me. Dead serious cool
That .375 has more than a few followers. So, you’d have to take a number. wink

It’s not hard to set one up like that.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.30-06

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

DF

That .375 has more than a few followers. So, you’d have to take a number. wink

It’s not hard to set one up like that.

DF

That is probably best.... I had one and was going to give it the same treatment. Decided to sell it and go 416 Remington for my biggest rifle. Yours would just be too easy of a button to push..

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oh man... I didn't read the whole thread but I'm guessing you got ridiculed on your cartridge choices and was given suggestions for about every other round out there. Probably was even told to buy better gear instead of a new rifle...

"We hear from guides on here that the worst outcome is a client showing up with a newly purchased ubermag"

I ended up going with the 300RUM and the moose don't seem to like it grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
350 remington Magnum

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread - only been to Alaska twice flyfishing so can’t comment personally on what I’d personally use & what works for others.

If I’m tossing out an under-informed opinion - a versatile .30 with good bullets doesn’t sound like a bad starting point after being across a river from grizzlies several times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The .30-06 is never a mistake".........Townsend Whelen

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.