Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

Always. Highly Recommend the Glock Model 20 10mm.
I carry mine with 16 rounds of Buffalo Boar 220 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman Load.
Funny you should mention the Glock 20, I was in a gun store last week and handled one in 10 mm. That one is the main one I am considering.

Hard to beat, IMO.

I'm quite partial to the G29 over the G20 as a carry gun. Not much to argue over for the G20 as a hunting gun.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

Funny you should mention the Glock 20, I was in a gun store last week and handled one in 10 mm. That one is the main one I am considering.

Hard to beat, IMO.

I'm quite partial to the G29 over the G20 as a carry gun. Not much to argue over for the G20 as a hunting gun.
I also handled a 29 as well as the 20. The grips on the 29 seemed small? Something about the way it handled did not feel as comfortable to me as the 20.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.marsupialgear.com/products/semi-auto-holster this set up with a Glock 20 and Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman. I use this pack https://www.marsupialgear.com/products/little-joey-pack with holster when not using binos, mainly for hiking in gear country. Made a last minute trip to Cody in November two years ago, hiked to the Yellowstone gate, didn't bring Glock as I didn't want to hassle with flying with it and figured bears would be in their dens. Saw fresh griz tracks on main road in snow, felt like a complete ass not having any sort of protection. Bought bear spray same day but don't have much faith in it, mostly so I can say I tried before pulling the 10mm.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
On it's best day a 10mm is nowhere close to a 44 Magnum.

Nothing beats a 329 stoked with 320 gr hardcasts over max of H-110.

One shot is all you'll usually get.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only time I carry is hunting for coyotes or javelina along the southern border NM, AZ. Heck I was hunting down there with my sxs shotgun, and the warden suggested I pack something with more rounds at my disposal. I don't bow hunt in grizz country. I do carry a large canister of bear spray when I don't have a rifle once I 100 miles north of the border.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, ever since shooting a cinnamon black bear in the left eye at less than 20 yards bowhunting elk out west 30 years ago, i never leave home without it, state laws be damned.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Hard to beat, IMO.

I also handled a 29 as well as the 20. The grips on the 29 seemed small? Something about the way it handled did not feel as comfortable to me as the 20.

Yep. I agree bought a Glock 29 at the same time I purchased my Glock 20. Never could grow fond of the 29. It soon went down the road. Still have the 20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a Glock guy, but I totally get the attraction of the 10mm version for those who may encounter a bad bear. Revolver simple, lots of bullets.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I always carry and always have when bowhunting. We have a few bears around and you never know when you might walk up on a rabid coyote or some other animal with rabies.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the time, but not always. We do not have to worry much about bears or wolves in SD.

When I went on an archery caribou float trip in AK, I carried my S&W Mountain gun in 44 mag. Stoked with Federal 300gr hard cast.

I have two glock 20's and a 29. I was pleasantly surprised when I first shot the 29. I am still getting to know them, but glad I have them.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i should always carry but i don`t maybe about 1/2 the time, i carry if i am at deer camp in the big woods / Tamarac swamp i always do then ,i have had wolves follow me in the dark i have seen their eyes flash when i shine i light at the sound . never have had any wolf ever try to do anything but it is still kinda creepy.

Last edited by pete53; 09/09/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In NY it is illegal to carry while bowhunting. Are we surprised...?

Having said that, I won't answer whether I do, or I don't.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
When the last time a Warden strip searched you ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you have to be strip searched to find your hand gun you have some serious problems because a simple pat down will find a handgun unless of course it is where the sun don't shine.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry almost all the time while in the outdoors.
What I carry depends on the weapon I'm hunting with at the time.

Archery or muzzleloader: I carry either a Taurus 709 9mm auto or my Ruger SP 101 .357.
Rifle: usually my Ruger SR22 or the S&W 63, both are .22LR.

I had a black bear raid my pop-up blind one year. It took everything out of it except the chair and chewed on it. I put it all back and set up to watch for game. He it comes! It stopped at the spring to grab a drink and then wandered over to the blind again. I sat with the 9mm in my hand and let it get to about ten feet from me before I told him he should go away....
He did.

Frankly I worry more about trespassers than animals - another good reason to open carry.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Always carry during bow season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry if I leave the house. Definitely during bow season.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
living in Minnesota hunting and fishing plenty , but to be honest the most dangerous place in Minnesota is the Twin Cities " chit hole " , because of my old age health i do visit there a couple times a year and i carry then .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pete53
living in Minnesota hunting and fishing plenty , but to be honest the most dangerous place in Minnesota is the Twin Cities " chit hole " , because of my old age health i do visit there a couple times a year and i carry then .

Same/same here Pete, i've already tested my theory, the same year Joplin had the tornado i found a really nice car in a very nice neighborhood right near downtown chitcago, the seller wanted cash LOL, i drove up there pulling a 28' enclosed trailer, packed a 7.62 LWRC REPR with five 20 round mags on the passenger seat, two G21's on my belt with a spare mag each, stopped south of there and met a couple old buds i've known from the area for over 30 years and had them tail me through this big city adventure.

I met the guy at his house, straight up mafia type LOL, he had a posse with him too, one of his garages was stacked with vettes on double decker lifts, beautiful place, car chacked out, i handed the cash over after we loaded the car and left, weird deal to say the least, had it went to chit and i lived guess the popo would have had some nice guns for the auction while i sorted the rest of the crap! grin

Far from a hunting story, but, a man can run into a chitstorm on the way to or from the woods just as easy.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gunner,
I agree with you and Pete, and also others here on the topic. We have the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Protecting ourselves from Scoundrels, who think that their above the Law, and Infringing Harm on others.
The old Saying that I'd rather have it and not need it, surely applies to US!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 68 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.