Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI UTV. A while back I happened to notice that the electric cooling fan had kicked on and was running constantly. I checked my radiator, and it was low on anti-freeze. I topped it off and checked it again a few days later and it was low again. I have checked the radiator and hoses for leaks, and have found nothing. I checked the oil and it's showing some foam in the oil reservoir, but the oil does not seem to be milky. I can't figure this one out, and am wondering if any of you have an idea as to what the problem is.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mine did that once. I had been running through a CRP field looking for a deer my nephew had wounded and lost. The front of the radiator was full of Johnson Grass seeds. Cleaned it good with a pressure washer, problem solved.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mine did that once. I had been running through a CRP field looking for a deer my nephew had wounded and lost. The front of the radiator was full of Johnson Grass seeds. Cleaned it good with a pressure washer, problem solved.

Mine is clean. The problem is elsewhere. I believe it's engine related. Maybe the head gasket.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get out your manual and read up on how to bleed the cooling system. There'll be a little valve screw to turn. You have to get the front up on blocks. Mine's an 800 so it's not quite the same but it'll likely still have some air in it.
If that doesn't fix it, disconnect a fan wire and get it good and hot, maybe 220 or so. Then shut it off and start sniffing and listening for antifreeze leaks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How old?

I'd replace the rad cap as it may be allowing boil off? Otherwise with no obvious leak, headgasket would be my first thought as well.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
follow along all the hoses and look for dried antifreeze at each connection.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Get out your manual and read up on how to bleed the cooling system. There'll be a little valve screw to turn. You have to get the front up on blocks. Mine's an 800 so it's not quite the same but it'll likely still have some air in it.
If that doesn't fix it, disconnect a fan wire and get it good and hot, maybe 220 or so. Then shut it off and start sniffing and listening for antifreeze leaks.

Well, if he doesn't have a blown head gasket now, he probably will have after doing a test like that....................................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
220F isn't going to blow anything that's not in danger of blowing anyway. The fan on mine doesn't kick in until just under that, then it cycles between there and 195. You don't want it any hotter than that, though.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had the same issue on a Rhino...bad thermostat. Antifreeze was blowing out of an overflow tube. Trashed the fan before we figured it out.

Last edited by battue; 09/12/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 59 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.