Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Specifically:
Athlon Optics Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 - BDC 600A SFP IR vs Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14X40 SIDE FOCUS CDS-ZL WIND-PLEX

I've got the Leupold currently setup on one of my hunting rifles and appreciate the quality of glass and the light weight.

How does the Athlon compare in terms of glass / image quality? I can get either for roughly the same price, so the decision boils down to overall fit, finish and quality. The rifle is a 7.5 lb 30-06 used for hunting everything from white tail to hogs.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Many will cry the Athlon is made in China as they type on their keyboard from the same land. I am currently using three Athlons and have been very impressed. I am more of a Duplex or 4A kinda person but I am liking the 600 reticle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I try to avoid deliberately supporting Chicom, sometimes there's just not much you can do. One thing I'll say for Athlon is that they are seemingly forthright about their sourcing. A lot of optics companies wrap themselves in an American flag with a bunch of marketing rhetoric about a few parts of the process that are done in the USA.

I don't run any Athlon, but people seem happy with them. For not a lot more you could get into a Bushie LRHS/LRTS or a DMR. They've been very good for me and they seem about the best value that I've used, unobtainable SWFA's notwithstanding.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't own either....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Many will cry the Athlon is made in China as they type on their keyboard from the same land. I am currently using three Athlons and have been very impressed. I am more of a Duplex or 4A kinda person but I am liking the 600 reticle.

Good for you, keep helping the Chicoms they are your friend.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have an Athlon Midas 6-24x50 and a number of older Leupold VX-III's and VX-3's, mostly 2.5-8x36 and 3.5x10x40. I think the Athlon is a better dialing scope, but the Leupolds are light and have served me well as hunting scopes. I haven't used the latest VX3 HD scopes, although I have a relatively new VX6 1-6x24 that I like.

I'd say the choice depends on what features are important to you. I'm not wild about buying scopes made in China, so I may not buy any more Athlons.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
No thanks on the Chinese scopes. There’s plenty of noncommunist options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What non-Chinese options are there for keyboards?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What's a keyboard?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
You use it to play piano.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Could we please keep this somewhat on topic? Looking for quality comparisons between the upper end Athlons and the Leupolds. Thanks guys.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got those exact scopes here.

To my eyes (excellent uncorrected vision with just a touch of rt. eye astigmatism), they're a push optically.

As an aside, I can't tell any significant optical differences between the Leupold HD and an earlier VX3 series.

I will add that both the HD and VX3 Leupolds have been excellent in tracking and holding their zeros.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Oh Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Let me clear up the plugging Computer to Optics comparison . All Computers are built in the Far East mainly China, the consumer has no choice.

Scopes are made in the US,Japan, Philippines, Korea and a number of other countries not named China.

Those that want to support CHICOMS buy their products.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let me clear up the plugging Computer to Optics comparison . All Computers are built in the Far East mainly China, the consumer has no choice.

Scopes are made in the US,Japan, Philippines, Korea and a number of other countries not named China.

Exactly

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just picked up a cheaper Athlon for my cousins’s old 22 semi-auto since he & wife want to shoot more - was shocked at how nice the image quality is for a less than $140 scope. Haven’t mounted it yet gunsmith adding a rail to the old gun.

I Like my Leupold VX3 4-14x50 quite a bit & would likely avoid Chinese if the options were anywhere close in cost/performance.

When I put a new scope on my do everything 7mm I went with the Zeiss Vx4 4-16x50 lighted hash marked reticle & dialing for about $100 more than the Leupold & am happy with the choice. Might be heavier than you like but the optics are great & mine dial very reliably.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I get what you're going after as far as availability and choice, but as far as optics go, it's not so clear cut. Scopes use componentry from all over. Just because a certain scope is assembled in a certain country doesn't mean whoever buys it isn't supporting Big Red China.

Very few scopes can legally have "Made in USA" stamped on them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What's a keyboard?

It's the thing that comes up on your phone when you respond to this thread.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

What's a keyboard?

It's the thing that comes up on your phone when you respond to this thread.

Oh that thingie grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Starbuck

I get what you're going after as far as availability and choice, but as far as optics go, it's not so clear cut. Scopes use componentry from all over. Just because a certain scope is assembled in a certain country doesn't mean whoever buys it isn't supporting Big Red China.

Very few scopes can legally have "Made in USA" stamped on them.

Athlon and a few others make their optics entirely in Wuhan land. They don't exist to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OldKchunt,

The magnitude of your Imagination and Pretend,is rather "impressive"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist,as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.