Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
1. Some of the places I hunt, when I get down to AZ, have no service.

2. I assume they believe no one's "device" will crap out on a hunt, for whatever reason (left the charger at home, fell on the pocket it was in, etc etc)

3. Flagging or tape? whistle

I'll not be "opting in" until it's mandatory.

Then again, if the red wave doesn't happen and fuel prices increase again, I won't be able to afford getting to AZ for any more hunts.

https://www.azgfd.com/arizona-e-tag-mobile-app-now-available/

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is now offering a mobile application to modernize the tagging process for hunters and provide them with additional technology options, streamlining the tagging and harvest reporting process.

The new “Arizona E-Tag” app is available for download in the Google Play and Apple app stores, providing hunters added flexibility to the current procedures for big game tag delivery and use. The mobile application will help strengthen the hunt data from which biologists make hunt recommendations and the Game and Fish Commission makes decisions.

Hunters who choose to download the app and receive their big game tags electronically will be able to:

Receive an electronic copy of big game tags on an electronic device, eliminating the need to keep paper copies.
Electronically tag harvested big game in the field and complete harvest reporting.
View hunting and fishing licenses.
View and manage licenses, as well as hunt permit-tags, for authorized dependent accounts.
Hunters can choose a material of their choice, such as flagging or tape, to attach a unique validation code (provided in the app during the tagging process) to their animal following a successful harvest.

Those who hunt in Arizona are encouraged to download the app to a mobile device and opt-in through their AZGFD portal account to receive electronic tags and licenses. After “opting-in,” an electronic tag for big game permits purchased at a department office or obtained through the draw will be automatically delivered to the mobile device. As a reminder, “opting-in” to receive an electronic tag is not required to participate in the draw.

Tags that were drawn or purchased before the app has been downloaded will not appear as an electronic tag.

Arizona E-Tag is a result of the department’s tag modernization efforts. “AZGFD is thrilled to deliver Arizona E-Tag to all who hunt and fish in Arizona as we continue to provide additional value, flexibility and options for our customers.” said Luke Thompson, the department’s habitat evaluation and lands branch chief.

The AZGFD mobile application is compatible with both Apple and android products. Visit www.azgfd.gov/hunting and click on the Arizona E-Tag link for more information.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Oregon tags are also on line although you can print out a paper tag I miss the old cut your tag.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been like that for a couple years here and I like it.. You don't need service to tag...Once you get the hang of it , easy peasy. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The potential failure of technology ain't why I'm sticking with paper.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My state went this route several years ago. I think most people like it. Saves rushing to the store to get a license and tag. It also did away with the game check stations, which were mostly all volunteer affairs at local gas stations or fire houses. Wardens can look your info up on their cellular device or look at a screen shot on yours. I’m a lifetime license holder so it doesn’t affect me as much, I have my card in my wallet and for the most part nothing else is required tag or license wise. We have 24 hours to Echeck them after a kill so you have time to get to an area with cell service.

IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm certainly not complaining about online purchasing of tags, that's worked really well for me over the years.

Santiam, not sure how that works, tagging an animal if you don't have service. I can see having the tag "downloaded" to your device, but if you kill in an area with no service, how do you "tag" the animal. And if one has to go to a spot with service, what if one is a ways off the beaten path and hunting with friends? Must one then go to an area with service to tag their animal?

Then there's the issue of the "device". What if one doesn't like using or bringing one on a hunt? Is the State now requiring a person obtain one ?(once they go all in on the program ans stop issuing real tags altogether)

Also, that thing I mentioned about a device failing for one of any number of reasons. Then what is a hunter to do? "Gee Mr Game warden, my phone is dead and I couldn't tag the critter before I left the field. No, I'm not trying to take more critters later with my unfilled tag"

I'm perplexed about the need to even have licenses/tags in the field in some cases. Had a warden I knew check our group, years ago. When I asked if he wanted to see my license and tag he told me " no need, I saw it on the computer list of who has tags in this unit". Other than my ID, why the hell do I need to carry a license and tag, paper or otherwise then?

Oh well, I'm still not convinced it's a good thing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Plus the state can charge extra dollar or two for the "convenience fee"

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wer have e-tag (e-notch) in Virginia. It works well. It still works if you are outside cell range. You still e-notch on your app and when you are in cell range it uploads to the DWR. Or you can do paper and call in and report your kill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In both states I hunt in they have a electronic game check. In Ohio as far as I know you still need to make a paper tag and put it on the animal until you use your device to check it. In Alabama you dont put a tag on the animal but you still have to check it. In both states you have a period of time to check it in. I buy online and print a paper copy of any license I buy. But I still have the Apps from each state that have my harvest records and licenses in there. I use the online checking as well. I dont know all the situations in each state but I have never had any issue using the APPs and I really like them. Printing my license and tags is just an easy insurance policy against unknown glitches.
In both cases you can create a e tag in your app. It will transmit it when you get in cell service.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 08/26/22.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E tag may be all well and good but you still have to get drawn first!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NM has an e-tag and it doesn’t require service. I stick with the paper tag cause you still have to cary paper, pen, tape/flagging etc to attach a handwritten “tag”.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad

2. I assume they believe no one's "device" will crap out on a hunt, for whatever reason (left the charger at home, fell on the pocket it was in, etc etc)

Then again, if the red wave doesn't happen and fuel prices increase again, I won't be able to afford getting to AZ for any more hunts.

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is now offering a mobile application to modernize the tagging process for hunters and provide them with additional technology options, streamlining the tagging and harvest reporting process.

The new “Arizona E-Tag” app is available for download in the Google Play and Apple app stores, providing hunters added flexibility to the current procedures for big game tag delivery and use. The mobile application will help strengthen the hunt data from which biologists make hunt recommendations and the Game and Fish Commission makes decisions.

Hunters who choose to download the app and receive their big game tags electronically will be able to:

Receive an electronic copy of big game tags on an electronic device, eliminating the need to keep paper copies.
Electronically tag harvested big game in the field and complete harvest reporting.
View and manage licenses, as well as hunt permit-tags, for authorized dependent accounts.
Hunters can choose a material of their choice, such as flagging or tape, to attach a unique validation code (provided in the app during the tagging process) to their animal following a successful harvest.

Those who hunt in Arizona are encouraged to download the app to a mobile device and opt-in through their AZGFD portal account to receive electronic tags and licenses. After “opting-in,” an electronic tag for big game permits purchased at a department office or obtained through the draw will be automatically delivered to the mobile device. As a reminder, “opting-in” to receive an electronic tag is not required to participate in the draw.

Tags that were drawn or purchased before the app has been downloaded will not appear as an electronic tag.

Arizona E-Tag is a result of the department’s tag modernization efforts. “AZGFD is thrilled to deliver Arizona E-Tag to all who hunt and fish in Arizona as we continue to provide additional value, flexibility and options for our customers.” said Luke Thompson, the department’s habitat evaluation and lands branch chief.

The AZGFD mobile application is compatible with both Apple and android products. Visit www.azgfd.gov/hunting and click on the Arizona E-Tag link for more information.

TFF

Its 2020 not 1975 and old fuggs are confused. Etags, self checkouts trip them up regularly. It would be bet if you all just stay home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon has optionally gone that route. For big game one still has to pack paper, write down all manner of data, secret codes, etc, and affix it to the animal. Not at all convenient.

LEO's hate it, as do the majority of users. If apps are downloaded and operate properly, no service is needed but one still has to have his phone aboard and power it up before dragging out his animal. We're supposed to tag at the kill site, and I'm not about to pack a phone around while hunting. That's my escape time.

It came out of the blue here with no public input. I suspect it was agency bean counters, as the argument was it would save the agency about $2 million for the printers and tear/waterproof paper. We are not allowed to downsize the documents to save paper or thin the wallet. One can still do purchases at agency offices, but those to are printed on copy paper.

We do near all of our licenses and permit online now, and all are printed on typical 8 1/2 by 11 paper if one wants to go the traditional route. Given rain/snow etc, the agency advice is to secure it in a zip lock bag, then bind it to the critter with tape.

My flip phone lives on our microwave, so I've stuck with the traditional route. Probably saves me $100 a month not needing a smart unit to tag my elk or halibut.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/26/22.

1Minute
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
NM has an e-tag and it doesn’t require service. I stick with the paper tag cause you still have to cary paper, pen, tape/flagging etc to attach a handwritten “tag”.
Sorta doesn't make much sense, eh?

I usually carry most of that stuff anyway, have for years, and now I have to purchase an "app" from google or some android "store". And carry a "device". Yeehaw!

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Oregon has optionally gone that route. For big game one still has to pack paper, write down all manner of data, secret codes, etc, and affix it to the animal. Not at all convenient.

LEO's hate it, as do the majority of users. If apps are downloaded and operate properly, no service is needed but one still has to have his phone aboard and power it up before dragging out his animal. We're supposed to tag at the kill site, and I'm not about to pack a phone around while hunting. That's my escape time.

It came out of the blue here with no public input. I suspect it was agency bean counters, as the argument was it would save the agency about $2 million for the printers and tear/waterproof paper. We are not allowed to downsize the documents to save paper or thin the wallet. One can still do purchases at agency offices, but those to are printed on copy paper.

We do near all of our licenses and permit online now, and all are printed on typical 8 1/2 by 11 paper if one wants to go the traditional route. Given rain/snow etc, the agency advice is to secure it in a zip lock bag, then bind it to the critter with tape.

My flip phone lives on our microwave, so I've stuck with the traditional route. Probably saves me $100 a month not needing a smart unit to tag my elk or halibut.

Better watch it neighbor to the north.

That "guy" posting right above you will call you a boomer and tell you to stop hunting.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by losttrail60

TFF

Its 2020 not 1975 and old fuggs are confused. Etags, self checkouts trip them up regularly. It would be bet if you all just stay home.

Nah, I prefer putting in for tags just so if I can get one I may prevent youngsters from getting out there with your "devices".

In it is contentment

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
In Oregon after you Etag the animal you still have to physically tag the animal with tape or paper. This kind of defeats the purpose of the Etag except for fact that you gave them a gps location of the kill. They claim that it’s not wrote into the program yet 😉 but will be soon.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SLM
Sorta doesn't make much sense, eh?

I usually carry most of that stuff anyway, have for years, and now I have to purchase an "app" from google or some android "store". And carry a "device". Yeehaw!

Is there a "convenience fee" attached also?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fugg them and their system.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Fugg them and their system.

Why is that?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.