Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Disclaimer - I know nothing about them.

At Cabela's yesterday - they had a Browning 1885 in 45-70 Gov. Seemed to be in really great shape for "used".

I don't really need it but it does seem to be fairly priced and has pretty wood.

They a decent rifle for someone who'd shoot it a fair bit or more of a "nice to look at, run mild loads tho" type of thing?

Me

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very strong action that will tolerate .45-70 loads from mild to wild. Your shoulder will give out before the rifle, especially if it's equipped with a crescent steel buttplate.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Arguably one of the strongest actions you can stick a .45-70 into. Fear not for its strength. The crescent butt plate remark is so very true though. I think most Browning .45-70's came with shotgun butt plates, no? If not, mount the gun with the crescent plate outboard of your shoulder joint, up on top of the arm muscle with the elbow sticking straight out. That'll mitigate recoil pain with hot loads, and is how the old folks did it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a B78 for a bit, with the crescent butt. Firing it off the bench was like being beat with a crowbar.

One with the shotgun butt might tempt me to forget my No More Rifles pledge. Would prefer a .38/55 though.

What fresh Hell is this?
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Shotgun butt.

Thanks. I don't really need it but it's pretty and it's also not often to see something decent in the gun vault here. They have a lot of crap so it stood out.

Easy enough to rebarrel to something more interesting (to me)?

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got modern Winchester versions in .22 Hornet and 6.5 Swede. I think they're just cool guns all the way around. Brownings usually have nicer wood than the Winchester labeled ones.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
And when comparing the Brownings to vintage Winchester 1885's I hate to admit it but the Brownings have more of a "bank vault" feel for lack of a better term. (I still prefer an original one though because I guess I'm just an old soul, and the old ones are easier to disassemble/reassemble than a Browning/Winchester Miroku. But, you would have to take my Brownings away from me at gun point nonetheless.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/09/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hah! It’s more than your soul that’s old😜

Doubt I’ll ever own an original, but I’m with you on the Brownings. When I get old (!), my two might be the last ones they pry from my wrinkly old fingers as they cart me off to the boneyard.

Don’t think I have a single pic of my .44. Maybe I’ll dig it out tomorrow and take some up against my “gun tree”.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Browning 1885 most available in the secondary market is chambered in 45-70.
Most people don't enjoy the beating.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Browning 1885's, both 45-70

I don't particularly care for crescent butt plates, but the 1885's be they low wall or high wall and the B-78's that i've owned have been shooters. I shoot off a lead sled when doing load development and checking for zero. I don't recall thinking about the amount of recoil after perforating a critter.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 09/09/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The crescent steel buttplate is rough with heavy loads. The action is super strong, run as hot as you dare. I only have experience with one Browning 1885 .45-70, but it’s an excellent shooter.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got modern Winchester versions in .22 Hornet and 6.5 Swede. I think they're just cool guns all the way around. Brownings usually have nicer wood than the Winchester labeled ones.

I have a 22 hornet in the Winchester version. Agree that the Brownings usually have nicer wood, but my Win has quite nice wood, and it’s very accurate.

NRA Patron
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yup Brownings have better wood.

Last edited by UpThePole; 09/10/22.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Yup Brownings have better wood.

That has been my experience.

Winchester in 270 WSM top, Browning in 30-06 bottom.

B-78, 300 H&H

They are one of my fav's when it comes to refreshing the wood.

once ya' get the acryllic off....

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone must have wanted it more than I - sold. Cabela's is a 90 minute round trip for me and I wasn't in a hurry to go back. Didn't need it but it was neat and worth a though. Appreciate the replies, I'll remember for next time.

Me

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
that 78 is fantastic!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s one on gunbroker now $1,495 buy now price. Cheap looking wood in my opinion.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are super cool actions. I’m partial to the trim lines of the low wall, but would happily own either. High wall would be sweet in a big ol’ bpcr chamber.

Year or so back I picked up a newish 1885 LW in the Cabelas library for stupid cheap money. Wood is plain Jane but for the ask it was a no brainer.

Nice wood, GW.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have an 1885 in 30-06 and a B-78 in 25-05. They’re fine rifles that shoot well. I’m in love with the build quality. I stay away from the 45-70 b/c I’ve about ruined my shoulder shooting heavy recoiling guns but find both of mine to be easy to shoot well. I’ve thought about trading the 78 for a lighter 25-06 but can’t fine anything close to the quality and assured accuracy. If you can deal with the recoil go for it. I agree with those who recommend staying away from the curved butt and steel plate. Brutal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, they get your attention. But the attention is magnified if used improperly: those crescent butt plates should be mounted just outboard of the shoulder joint, up high on the bicep. That's how the old timers did it. It merely requires a slight change in stance, with the arm held more horizontally.

We moderns with our comfier butt plates tend to employ the crescent ones the same way, inboard of the shoulder joint, and that'll hurt.

Try it, it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,275
Posts18,467,528
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.