Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17591048 09/09/22
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
for getting your ass beat! Just in case you were trying to put it together and your wife's letting up on you these days. LOL

A featherweight Savage 7mm Remington magnum from the first year of production in 1966 and a 99EG in 358, both with metal buttplates. I swear my teeth hurt I got smacked so hard. Both shot an inch with hunting loads. With the 7mm I tried 145 gr Speer btsp since I have hundreds of them. Three shots to sight in then ringing steel at 325 yards every shot. But man, it is NO FUN to shoot. It'd be fine for cross canyon shooting. Close your eyes and jerk the trigger!

The 358 got three loads. 200 gr Hornady spire points, 180 Banres ttsx, and Winchester factory silvertips, no idea what weight bullet but assume 200 gr. The Barnes loads using TAC powder shoot fantastic in my other 358's and they did the same here, often going in the same hole. Scope is only a 3x so precision beyond an inch at 100 is not possible. The Barnes are manageable but the Hornady's and Winchesters kicked my ass. I was using a sandbag for a shoulder cushion by the end.

Anyway, I've never owned mules but I know exactly what they kick like. LOL Feels like I've been worked over with a metal pipe. Savage sure did make some good shooting rifles though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd put those 2 on your top 40 list.... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

Which one do you want? LOL

I don't understand why this 24" EG kicks so much harder than the 16" carbine. Does barrel length make a big difference in recoil?

LOL
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I find 99s punch way above thier weight class for recoil in general, that's why mine are all 300 or smaller. I've passed on a couple in 308 nicer than any of the ones I own because I don't enjoy getting the snot kicked out of me when I shoot. I've fired a couple in 308 and they both whooped my azz. 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I don't understand why this 24" EG kicks so much harder than the 16" carbine. Does barrel length make a big difference in recoil?

I don't know why a 24" barrel would kick more than a 16"? Are they both EGs?

I had 2 308 50s F's and just looking at them in the gun rack made my hair hurt.

I have a 308 DL that is a pussy cat. Different stock design which apparently fits me better.

As it regards which one I want, I'm waiting for the DLs to hit the market.

DL, DL, DL!!!!!!!!

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont think my 358EG is that bad. No harder than a 308F in my opinion. I think the worst gun i ever shot was My Savage 30-06 340. The sum bitch kicked my ass. Lol. It went down the road pretty quick!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a 340 in 30-30 that had ridiculous recoil, I had bought for my son when he was about 12. It went down the road at a loss, which was uncommon for me in those days.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
very nice rifles I shot my 358 for the first time yesterday I used a lead sled so wasn't bad next trip to the range I will man up Toughest shoulder breaker I own actually two guns one being a Husqvarna 30/06 bolt gun very light and whoops ur tail for certain. My nephew loved the gun and I said take it get it out of here. Also I had a New England single shot rifled barrel 12 gauge slug gun total ass whooper
I have the 358 that I shot but like a sissy and also haven't fired yet two 375 wins and a 308 after reading the comments im wondering how the recoil is going to be on them

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yep, my 99F 358 with metal butt plate kicks the snot out of me also with Hornady Custom 200gr factory ammo. Don’t see me reloading for it for some time. Got 6 boxes with the gun.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
375 is a wonderful recoil curve, you won't find it a problem at all.

Until shooting this 358, I've never seen a Savage that I thought kicked bad. Here's the 16" carbine in 358, and I shoot it just fine, with the same ammo.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I don't know why a 24" barrel would kick more than a 16"? Are they both EGs?

I had 2 308 50s F's and just looking at them in the gun rack made my hair hurt.

I have a 308 DL that is a pussy cat. Different stock design which apparently fits me better.

As it regards which one I want, I'm waiting for the DLs to hit the market.

DL, DL, DL!!!!!!!!

Now you've got me wondering if the 24" DL in 358 might have less perceived recoil due to the stock design. I've never fired it because it's in mint condition. My luck I'd hit it on the edge of a 1/4" steel plate walking through the shop to the truck with it and screw it up! Murphy's Law! LOL

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Savage that gave me a lickin' and is now tickin' in someone else's hands was a 1st year Model 1920 in .300. That thing was plumb vicious.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The Savage that gave me a lickin' and is now tickin' in someone else's hands was a 1st year Model 1920 in .300. That thing was plumb vicious.

I can agree with that. My 1920 kicks just as bad as the 358.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I notice the EG buttstock is a different color than the forearm and has a fluted comb. Is that an F buttstock? If so, lighter weight might contribute to more recoil than a standard EG.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jaaack
I notice the EG buttstock is a different color than the forearm and has a fluted comb. Is that an F buttstock? If so, lighter weight might contribute to more recoil than a standard EG.

I'll check when I get time.

The real murder weapon is the featherweight 7mm. I am at a loss for a description. I think by the time I finished with it and moved on to the 358 I was in shock.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/10/22.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
for getting your ass beat! Just in case you were trying to put it together and your wife's letting up on you these days. LOL

A featherweight Savage 7mm Remington magnum from the first year of production in 1966 and a 99EG in 358, both with metal buttplates. I swear my teeth hurt I got smacked so hard. Both shot an inch with hunting loads. With the 7mm I tried 145 gr Speer btsp since I have hundreds of them. Three shots to sight in then ringing steel at 325 yards every shot. But man, it is NO FUN to shoot. It'd be fine for cross canyon shooting. Close your eyes and jerk the trigger!

The 358 got three loads. 200 gr Hornady spire points, 180 Banres ttsx, and Winchester factory silvertips, no idea what weight bullet but assume 200 gr. The Barnes loads using TAC powder shoot fantastic in my other 358's and they did the same here, often going in the same hole. Scope is only a 3x so precision beyond an inch at 100 is not possible. The Barnes are manageable but the Hornady's and Winchesters kicked my ass. I was using a sandbag for a shoulder cushion by the end.

Anyway, I've never owned mules but I know exactly what they kick like. LOL Feels like I've been worked over with a metal pipe. Savage sure did make some good shooting rifles though.

Thanks Roy. I'm hoping to get the 444 Rimless to the smith this week, and you start off trying to scare me to death. You know my 250R is my heavy rifle, the 22HP is my medium, and the 1919 NRA my light gun.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Joe, it's going to be a real mule-killer at both ends! Might be time to learn the art of bullet casting and reduced load development.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Tinemaster
very nice rifles I shot my 358 for the first time yesterday I used a lead sled so wasn't bad next trip to the range I will man up Toughest shoulder breaker I own actually two guns one being a Husqvarna 30/06 bolt gun very light and whoops ur tail for certain. My nephew loved the gun and I said take it get it out of here. Also I had a New England single shot rifled barrel 12 gauge slug gun total ass whooper
I have the 358 that I shot but like a sissy and also haven't fired yet two 375 wins and a 308 after reading the comments im wondering how the recoil is going to be on them

I had one of those H&R Ultra Slug hunters a couple years too, and I concur 10000% Very accurate, but it was an absolute horror show to shoot. Remington quit making the sabots it liked, so I gladly traded it off on a new slug gun. That's one I don't miss one bit.

I had a little Mossberg 500 bantam rifled slug gun the first year or two I shotgun hunted deer, and that thing was a shoulder hammer, too.

I am so friggin glad Illinois joined the century and legalized some rifles for deer this year. 300 Blackout anrd 327 Federal from here on out for me. No more killing on one end of the shotgun and maiming on the other.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If needed to hunt with slugs, I wouldn't own anything but a Savage 220

https://www.savagearms.com/content?a=product_summary&p=firearms&s=57377

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My Dad and the guy I hunt with both use 220s. They kick as bad as most pump 20 gauges, and I've had a couple pumps shoot just as well. The 870 I've been using the past few years is a cloverleaf shooter at 50yds with Remington Premier 3" magnums. They discontinued those, but I have enough to last a few deer seasons. 3" or so is about the best I can do at 100 with the sights on it, though.

I knocked the front lens clear out of a Weaver one time, and have broken reticles loose on a solid handful+ scopes across about half a dozen slug guns. I don't even bother trying to mix shotguns and scopes anymore.

Last edited by zcm82; 09/10/22. Reason: addition
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.