Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently got back another retubed rifle from Shaen. Nothing ultra sexy. Just a nice working rifle in 7WSM.

The rifle started it’s life several years ago at GunWerks, before they went all stratospheric with their builds and prices.

It’s a slab sided Howa action that had some refinements made to it. The Bansner stock is stiff and light. Which, along with the original ‘Sporter’ tube, made it a light lady....The old barrel maker was unknown, at least to me, when I bought it in our classifieds a few years back.

The original barrel shot pretty good, but not great. I figured since Shaen made the Tikka CTR into a phenomenal piece of shooting precision with a Bartlein 2B. Maybe he could do the same with this older build, using the same barrel.

I’m about a week away from being able to shoot it. I’m pretty confident, since Shaen did the work, that I won’t be disappointed and feeling like I flushed some cash. Speaking of flushing cash. I put a Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14x40 on it to keep it slim and light....Oh, the horror. 🤦‍♀️

I’ll be back later with the results on how it does on the range.

🦫

PS

Anyone have an idea on how many rounds it takes to get a new barrel to the point where bullet speed is stable and consistent for a chronograph? If any of you asshats say, the first round will be the same speed as the 100th round, I’m done reading anything about barrel break-in. 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It must be in the air,as I just opened a parcel,from the same fella. Nice to get my Dick Davis box back. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Might be yet another 30-'06! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is how you show your respect to the 🫅?

Sheesh.

PS - good lookin’ snout!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Little Fhuqker is GOOD. Hint.

CRAZY GOOD. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
This is how you show your respect to the 🫅?

Sheesh.

PS - good lookin’ snout!

Laffin...I think it’s called a ‘threaded crown’. I’ve never seen one before, so I’ll just roll with it.

AKw...You buy anything new lately?🤷🏽‍♀️

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had to pay extra to Shaen to jump your build......JK

Nice pig tail flutes, Stick.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice iron! IME, velocity becomes pretty stable after about 100 rounds in many tubes. Some don't show much speed up, but others seem to.

And BTW, the 7WSM is pretty sexy, if you ask me. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I recently got back another retubed rifle from Shaen. Nothing ultra sexy. Just a nice working rifle in 7WSM.

The rifle started it’s life several years ago at GunWerks, before they went all stratospheric with their builds and prices.

It’s a slab sided Howa action that had some refinements made to it. The Bansner stock is stiff and light. Which, along with the original ‘Sporter’ tube, made it a light lady....The old barrel maker was unknown, at least to me, when I bought it in our classifieds a few years back.

The original barrel shot pretty good, but not great. I figured since Shaen made the Tikka CTR into a phenomenal piece of shooting precision with a Bartlein 2B. Maybe he could do the same with this older build, using the same barrel.

I’m about a week away from being able to shoot it. I’m pretty confident, since Shaen did the work, that I won’t be disappointed and feeling like I flushed some cash. Speaking of flushing cash. I put a Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14x40 on it to keep it slim and light....Oh, the horror. 🤦‍♀️

I’ll be back later with the results on how it does on the range.

🦫

PS

Anyone have an idea on how many rounds it takes to get a new barrel to the point where bullet speed is stable and consistent for a chronograph? If any of you asshats say, the first round will be the same speed as the 100th round, I’m done reading anything about barrel break-in. 😂

Heck ya dude....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Admittedly,I've never heard of said chambering,nor the scope's Make/Model. Hint.

Mebbe some day?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy cow...wicked rifles, you guys.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All new to me. Hint.............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice build Beav. Those are some cool rifles.

Always keep my eyes open for a 7 WSM Montana but that rebuilt Howa is pretty sweet.

What’re you planning to use in it?

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The S/A Howies with integral box,make nice donors for a 8" RPM 7-08 and the like. Hint.

Especially them,in OEM MacaMillion stocks. Hint.............

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Most of my custom barrels stabilized between 60-100 rounds. My 8 twist brux 243 took a bit longer. Somewhere over 100 rounds the groups went to crap about 1 moa. I chronied it and found it had sped up like 80-100 fps. I reduced the load a bit and matched to earlier speed and groups were back under 1/2 moa. Shot several rock chucks way out with 105 amaxes with that rifle. It still shoots. Jim See built it for me about 17 years ago. It was my first brux.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got my 6 creed back from Kali...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That ga hunter ruckus is flat sexy. Wish I could find one.

Any clearance issues with the handle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Intellesting. Just got done heating a few barrels up,including the 24" Gen 1 HAVAK 243 Speedmire. Hint.

Smooched 112's square and only shot a single powder charge and it was under 1/2" laying moly down,with pokes #3,4 and 5. Then shot DOPE to 1600yd steel,as I figured the Transonic Slip to be crowding 1700yds this AM. Fhuqking thing is a HAMMER. Sig brass seem fine and is suplizingly consistent. Hint.

Lotsa clearence,Clarence. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are crazy good numbers. I love the AI mag setup there too.

What's the barrel life like on the 6mm CM? Probs not a concern for you I know, just wondering lol.

SIG brass is treating me well in 6.5 CM, and whats more, it was cheep.

Last edited by Igloo; 09/10/22.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The MagPul AICS mag is a misnomer,as this throat Smooches 112's at 2.900" COAL,which exceeds their HILARIOUS "abilities". Hint.

They do nice thangs however,in a Retard Twist Rate 22-250 SALAMI with 50 'Max Smooches. Hint.

Them differences,being funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

I factored velocity at 3050fps and DOPE jived,as I don't even shoot through any of my chronographs anymore. Hint.

It's an easy rifle to LOVE. Hint.

I only have (5) 243 Speedmires and 2000rds of minimal maintenance,is a happy trade,for a new spout. Hint.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.