Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never owned one but am always tempted to buy one,

However as time goes on, I’ve watched quite a few people at Public ranges struggle with them, There always picking up other peoples shots, Many have gone to the external trigger device because of that,

Then with the external trigger sensor the Labrador senses the bolt closing and throws an error.

You just clear the error and move on, but still seems like lots of room for improvement.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm watching this, waiting to see if it works before plunking down a bunch of money: https://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/shop/other-brands/bulletseeker-mach-4/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
that bullet seeker looks interesting ? maybe the price will come down some and they can make it just a little easier to use and not attached to the gun ? more veloity might be good too up TO 4500 FPS ? so a person can get a true 4,000 -4100 fps readings.

Last edited by pete53; 07/16/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had mine almost 4 years this Fall. I absolutely love mine. It does have limitations. LIke what Mule Deer said. I shoot a lot of NRL22 so need some pretty accurate velocities. Mine won't pick up a standard velocity 22 unless I use the air gun or archery trigger/microphone. Several guys I know have some how figured out how to get their LR to pick up 22 LR. I picked up the archery microphone right off the bat since I worked at a large archery shop. It worked great, indoors, for archery. It works quite well for 22 LR except on windy days where it picks up false readings from the wind as well as any "noisy" shooters several benches away. When trying to obtain speeds on a distant target I was shooting over a 25 yd target backer and it would scatter the radar before being able to pick up the bullet headed to the 100 or 200 yd backer. Moved over a bench and problem solved. Have, on several occasions when at the range on a Friday (I work four 10's) called LR CS and had awesome CS. I did use an after market battery pack, capable of starting a truck, and it somehow (LR CS said it was a 1 in a million odds) fried a circuit. I did it twice. LR fixed it for free. "Buy a battery like ours" they said. Haven't had an issue yet. I use it almost weekly.

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Alan,

Mine picks up .22LR just fine when set to handgun mode with “Doppler trigger”.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TwoCup
I absolutely love mine! Had it 2 years. I have it mounted behind a sliding door on the wall of my shooting shack. It gave me fits at first, but I purchased the optional air gun mic and clip it to the window near the muzzle of whatever I'm shooting. That eliminated the triggering problems I was having. Also bought a mount online to install an inexpensive red dot sight on top for more precise aiming alignment. So far, it's tracked every bullet from my 17 Hornet. I have a lot more load development work to do with the 17 Hornet and will post with my results. I like the ability to export the data in Excel format for storage on my laptop. Make sure you get a USB power pack (~$10) to operate it with as it's a battery hog. Use batteries for emergencies only.

Hope this mirrors my experience down the road. As I just ordered a sighting system and an external trigger. which points to the issue of more expensive due to the additional accessories required to achieve anything close to consistent results. So I want this to work though thus far results have been inconsistent at best.

I have went to a ball mount attached to a sheet of plywood, clamped to a shooting bench. this has bade the unit more convenient for me. like mentioned earlier my success has been spotty at best with 6mm & 6.5 mm projectiles flying at 2500 to 3400 fps thus far. I had thought my issue was primarily due to the sighting means being less than. Research was pointing to the advantages of the external trigger & I hope this proves true.

I am really encouraged that you are picking up 17 cal projectiles at all. May I enquire if these are flat base or boat tail offering?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Anyone here worked with the JKL external trigger that works off of recoil?

Or how about the PietRecoilTrigger Some say the founder of the IDEA for the JKL. Pete is now including the mounting accessories you will likely need as well. Sounds like a good reliable external trigger is quite a game changer for the Labrador. https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/shop

Last edited by Hunterapp; 09/11/22.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I use mine almost every weekend in the summer and it has worked great, I get a dropped shot once in awhile but for the most part it has been well worth the $$ and a battery pack is a must have!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ackleyfan: How long have you been using the Lab radar? or when did you purchase yours?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
deleted

Last edited by Charlie-NY; 09/12/22.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
any improvements yet on the Labradar yet ? like i posted when the Labradar can read 17 and 20 caliber bullets and up to 4500 FPS i would buy this unit.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pete53
any improvements yet on the Labradar yet ? like i posted when the Labradar can read 17 and 20 caliber bullets and up to 4500 FPS i would buy this unit.

Not that I have heard about, either on the website or elsewhere.

When that happens, I will buy another....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I found out that after 1.5 years I could 100% forget how to operate mine. I remember that I had it all figured out but not what was figured!

I have an external microphone and battery pack.

Fairly standard rifle rounds, suppressed or not.

I'll work on sighting. Ordered a little rail.
Ordered the JKL unit. If that works as described I'll be thrilled.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/12/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.