Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
It being stainless & convertible has me thinking it might be a 5.5" Bisley. And if so, another win in my book. Linebaugh, Bowen, Taffin all agree that grip frame handles heavy recoil the best. I concur. But if it's the standard frame it will be OK as well.

But let's back up here a minute, The gun in question could be the flat top convertible. If so so, it's on the smaller New Vaquero sized frame but with the exception of having adjustable sites. This gun will not withstand some of the really heavy, or so called Ruger only loads. It also will not accept overly long bullets, like some in the upper limits of weight.
But otherwise, it's still plenty strong, versatile & should serve well.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Had the guy send me a pick. Maybe this helps. Also how about that price? Reasonable?

Attached Images
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
I heard the guy from buffalo bore ammo say there were newer model Rugers that couldn’t handle the heavier or hotter loads due to lighter/weaker frame. Is that a thing I need to pay attention to when it comes to purchasing a Ruger?

This is true. The New Model Blackhawks are among the strongest that Ruger makes and will handle Tier III loads. They have a hump on either side of the rear sight that gives them this stepped appearance like you can see here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/945364070

The Flat Top does not have those humps. It's somewhat weaker, but will handle the Tier II loads that I mentioned: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943251950

The Vaquero is a fixed-sight version of the Blackhawk and is safe with Tier III Loads. It's stamped "Vaquero" on the frame. The New Vaquero is a fixed-sight version of the Flat Top and is safe with Tier II loads. It's stamped "New Vaquero."

I got about halfway through the Linebaugh article and I’m going to go through the rest of it and then make sure I understand if he’s addressing the specific question or not.

Mr. Linebaugh wrote that article before the Flat Top and New Vaquero were introduced.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had the guy send me a pick. Maybe this helps. Also how about that price? Reasonable?

Yes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
one thing Ive found with my Colt/ACP Redhawk is that the warm 325 gr "bear" loads shoot way , way, high , with the rear sight down as far as it will go

In reality the 270/280 gr stuff is plenty for anything 99% of us will do

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i have a ruger blackhawk with both 45lc (yes, that’s long colt) and 45acp cylinders. it’s an an absolutely great piece. my soul loves 45lc but my wallet loves 45acp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed three whitetails and probably a dozen groundhogs with the 45 Colt. The deer were killed with a 255 SWC running about 1050 fps or Hodgdons book max Ruger/Contender load of W296 with Sierra's 240 grain JHC. Deer hit behind the front leg, with the Sierra load, were down in two strides tops and left a blood trail Stevie Wonder couldn't miss. SWCs into the spine at the shoulder anchors them PDQ.

Groundhogs hit longways with a SWC or Lee's 255RF, running 850-950 fps, just flatten out DRT.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Long Colt isn't incorrect. It's gone by both designations, even by ammo and gun makers. It was originally just .45 Colt, but the US Army started referring to it as Long Colt to distinguish it from .45 Schofield (which was the slightly shorter of the two), because at one time the US Military issued handguns in both chamberings. Those soldiers eventually left the military, entered civilian life, and continued to call them .45 Long Colt, so that nomenclature became popularized and generally adopted in the civilian world, too.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Looks to be a Flat Top. Tier II strength.

I wouldn't wait if you really want it, the price seems fair for the market, and the revolvers are only going up in price.

Here's a pic of my Blackhawk 45 convertible. Very versatile handgun,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Mackay_Sagebrush, 270 grain semi wadcutter at 900 FPS penetrated 41" of 20% ballistic gel. That is equivalent to 68.48" of 10% ballistic gel

Well if that does not do it, nothing will! Grin.. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Looks to be a Flat Top. Tier II strength.

I wouldn't wait if you really want it, the price seems fair for the market, and the revolvers are only going up in price.

Here's a pic of my Blackhawk 45 convertible. Very versatile handgun,

Montana that’s a handsome Ruger. I’m picking mine up Monday. If I was carrying it in Grizz country what would be recommended in the Tier II options?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The medium frame Flattop convertible is my personal favorite.

A 270 grain Keith Semi Wadcutter at 900 FPS is not only a tackdriver but there is not much it is not going to flatten, as Okie John was discussing in his post. It is a favorite of quite a few handgun hunters.

What is your preferred powder for that bullet?

Thanks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Tough to beat a Ruger 45 Colt for an all around handgun. I’ve carried this one a fair amount. More now since I sold my 500 LB. A 300-340 grain bullet, cast of a hard alloy, and sitting on a stout load of 4227 or H110 will make the .429 magnum go hide in the closet. And it doesn’t have to lie about its girth.

Turnbull edition with American Holly grips.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nostalgia is worth couple farts. I would buy .44 Magnum instead. That way you can shoot .44 Magnum and .44 Special through same cylinder. Ruger offers SA with handi 3,75" barrel in that caliber.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Slavek
Nostalgia is worth couple farts. I would buy .44 Magnum instead. That way you can shoot .44 Magnum and .44 Special through same cylinder. Ruger offers SA with handi 3,75" barrel in that caliber.
The advantage of the .45 Colt/.45 ACP option is the much more available and less expensive .45 ACP ammo. That cannot be said of .44 Special.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest problem with guns or trucks is that people can’t leave them alone. You buy a new diesel pickup with 900 foot pounds of torque and then take it to Maynard’s Off Road and tweek the computer and dick around with a bunch of other stuff and you end up with more horsepower and torque than the truck was designed to handle.

Or you buy a 45 Colt and dick with the ballistics and overload the gun to try and make it something it isn’t.

A 45 Colt with 250 grain bullets at 900 fps is more than adequate for what you will use it for. Buy the gun and enjoy what the 45 Colt has been doing for over 150 years. All the additional bullet weight and extra powder comes at a cost. Most of that cost is recoil that will make the hardiest man flinch.

Consider how much you will shoot it and you will realize that the standard 45 Colt load will be all you will need, then just shoot it…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Always regretted not picking up the 45LC Smith I had my hands on at a local shop about 10 yrs ago…… seeing todays prices just confirms that thought

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
“Tier III” should explicitly include the Ruger “old model” Vaqueros/Bisleys/Bird’s Heads, no?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alukban
“Tier III” should explicitly include the Ruger “old model” Vaqueros/Bisleys/Bird’s Heads, no?
Well, it certainly includes the Old Model Vaquero, since I have one in .44 Magnum. The thing is constructed like a Sherman tank.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alukban
Well, it certainly includes the Old Model Vaquero, since I have one in .44 Magnum. The thing is constructed like a Sherman tank.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 63 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.