Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'm neither delusional nor in a state of denial. I'm just not afraid of snakes. I've grown up walking and fishing where cottonmouths were thick. Never had a problem. I've squatted over and nearly stepped on cottonmouths I didn't see till I was 6 inches from them. Never a strike. The only time I've seen them strike is when they're getting fugged with. And I've seen the consequences of removing cottonmouths where they were close to people. A local business park here eradicated them from a ditch system cuz people were ascared of them. Not a single bite to anyone. Once they were gone the muskrat population exploded. You couldn't walk in the gardens near the water without falling thru up to your knee in a God damn muskrat tunnel. In the 55 years I've lived near cottonmouths, only two people here have been bitten. A drunk retard that picked one up, and the curator of reptiles at a nature park that was inserting chips in them so he could determine where they were hibernating, as part of his environmental thesis.

Same with Timber/Canebrake Rattlesnakes. I regularly walk thru pocosin forests and grassy areas in low shoes and socks knowing rattlesnakes are around. I gave up snake boots years ago. If you don't screw with them, they aren't a problem. The one I moved yesterday didn't strike or act aggressively in any way.

I've been bitten hundreds of times by nonvenous snakes. 100% of the time because I picked then up. I had a nearly blind (due to shedding) Black Rat snake bite me on the face and inside my lip when I posed it for a picture. Had to use a credit card once to get a King Snake off my finger. I still pick them up when I come across them. Snakes just aren't scary to me.

You're a weird mf'er šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I've been told that.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Sisters dog was struck by a Rattlesnake 4 days ago. Two visits to 2 different vets and 1,050 in bills, she had me put it down as it had lost control of rear end. I kill all I see.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by poboy
East Texas granny said she could smell cotton-mouths in an
area and fish somewhere else.

That's the worst thing about a snake. They [bleep] on you as a defense. Damned effective. That stink is frigging hard to get off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I believe her, Mike. Iā€™ve smelt big Rattlesnakes in the barn before. Itā€™s a nasty ass smell you never forget.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I believe her, Mike. Iā€™ve smelt big Rattlesnakes in the barn before. Itā€™s a nasty ass smell you never forget.

That is a fact.

America, Our Country and weā€™re taking it back.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm neither delusional nor in a state of denial. I'm just not afraid of snakes. I've grown up walking and fishing where cottonmouths were thick. Never had a problem. I've squatted over and nearly stepped on cottonmouths I didn't see till I was 6 inches from them. Never a strike. The only time I've seen them strike is when they're getting fugged with. And I've seen the consequences of removing cottonmouths where they were close to people. A local business park here eradicated them from a ditch system cuz people were ascared of them. Not a single bite to anyone. Once they were gone the muskrat population exploded. You couldn't walk in the gardens near the water without falling thru up to your knee in a God damn muskrat tunnel. In the 55 years I've lived near cottonmouths, only two people here have been bitten. A drunk retard that picked one up, and the curator of reptiles at a nature park that was inserting chips in them so he could determine where they were hibernating, as part of his environmental thesis.

Same with Timber/Canebrake Rattlesnakes. I regularly walk thru pocosin forests and grassy areas in low shoes and socks knowing rattlesnakes are around. I gave up snake boots years ago. If you don't screw with them, they aren't a problem. The one I moved yesterday didn't strike or act aggressively in any way.

I've been bitten hundreds of times by nonvenous snakes. 100% of the time because I picked then up. I had a nearly blind (due to shedding) Black Rat snake bite me on the face and inside my lip when I posed it for a picture. Had to use a credit card once to get a King Snake off my finger. I still pick them up when I come across them. Snakes just aren't scary to me.

I've been told that.

^^^^^

Booshit.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WildWest
My Sisters dog was struck by a Rattlesnake 4 days ago. Two visits to 2 different vets and 1,050 in bills, she had me put it down as it had lost control of rear end. I kill all I see.
A neighbor guy had his big dog get bit by a rattler a couple of years ago. The snake got the dog twice. The snake would of gotten the neighbor guy but the dog took the bites. The neighbor guy is about 75% deaf and couldn't hear it rattle while he was opening a cattle gate. The dog went in after it and paid deerly for saving his owners life. The dog lived a couple of years after the bites but was never the same and died at a relatively young age.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I've been told that.

^^^^^

Booshit.

No, it's true. My neighbors call me with snake problems. My neighbors think all snakes are coppermouthed rattlemocassins. I pick them and show them its just their garden hose

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Pit vipers are born live, non-venomous species by egg.

Plenty of non venomous snakes give live birth too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And several non venomous snakes actually produce venom.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
And several non venomous snakes actually produce venom.

Care to clarify that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Care to clarify that

True. They just don't carry the delivery hardware (fangs). Have to almost chew one to death.

A party just recently lost a small dog to a rattler in a campground we frequent.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/11/22.

1Minute
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by 1minute
Care to clarify that

True. They just don't carry the delivery hardware (fangs). Have to almost chew one to death.

A party just recently lost a small dog to a rattler in a campground we frequent.

And which species are you referring to that produce venom but dont have fangs? Closest thing to that im aware of is some rear fanged snakes that arent really able to bite a person, but still have fangs and deliver venom to their prey.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, it's pretty clear on its face. But, yes, there are several snakes regarded as non venomous that actually produce venom. Hognose snakes, garter snakes, green snakes and some water snakes. It's hard to get a garter snake to bite. Nearly impossible to get a green snake to bite. Hognoses will bite. They produces a lot of bleeding and itching. They are toxic to their prey. Water snakes readily bite. I've bled like a stuck pig from water snake bites. Their venom will makes a frog or fish go limp very quickly. These snakes are usually considered non venomous, but in reality, they produce venom that can result in mild symptoms in humans, but are very effective on natural prey animals.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Weird. Just looked up the garter snake thing and am getting very little info on that, just a few hits saying they produce a mild venom harmless to humans. Wonder if its in their saliva or something like gila monsters

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The boogie man, lol...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That reminds me of the old Nicola Boot poster from many years ago!

America, Our Country and weā€™re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Only relocating I do with cottonmouths is to their final resting place.

As does any sane person, same for rattlers & copperheads too.

Vipers & humans do not co-habitat well together; anybody that thinks otherwise is delusional & in a state of serious denial.

MM

Absolutely!!!

They donā€™t get a pass ever on the Ranch.
Kill every stinking one of them I encounter.

I'm in this camp too. The only good rattler is a dead rattler (or copperhead, cottonmouth etc.).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gkt5450

nocona.....

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by gkt5450

nocona.....

Yep. That was my first thought as well. I just figured he meant Nocona, and that ā€œNicolaā€ mustā€™ve been a typo.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/11/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.