Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just ran across an old 2002 catalog from Dangerous Dave and the OWS. He was a source for rare and oddball stuff. I see it is still around. Anybody every order from OWS?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Many years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Never ordered anything from them, but never heard anything bad about them either.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been a while, but yes.........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Like EdM and Muffin, ordered from OWS several times with good results, but quite a while ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Don't hold me to this, Dave had medical problems (cancer), moved to Reno from here, to be closer to good doctors, his son half heartedly ran the business, and I think it slowly faded away. Some outfit, maybe Navy Arms, bought the name and has a web page, but I haven't ordered anything since Dave operated it. There are still 2 old deactivated 16 inch naval shells along the highway where his home/warehouse was, the grandsons HAVE to stop every damn time we drive by there.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a blast from the past! In the 1980's, Bob Jensen wrote an article about how primers were the key to accuracy at 600 yards. In his article, he mentioned RWS primers as giving the smallest SD in his testing. Problem was they were unobtanium...except from Old Western Scrounger! Apparently the only one importing them at the time.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hatari just wanted to know about the OWS as a source. But let me tell youse guys a little anecdote about Dave Cumberland, the man. In one of the frequent economic crashes the lumber market causes around here I was taking any and all work I could find. Gravy was thin and watery around the Flint Estate. Dave calls, "you the guy with the shop truck that works on equipment ?"...."Yup". An appointment is made to get his little forklift going, work is done within an hour, normally I wouldn't charge but times are hard, so he offers cash or check. I gratefully accept the check and he says that doesn't seem like enough ( seems like it was 75 bucks), why don't you pick something out here in the warehouse. So I go browsing, unbelievable, piles of gun stuff, ammo, mil surplus, reloading gear from the old Hollywood gun shop...well, I made the mistake of picking up a Springfield 1898 Krag leaning in the corner. He looked at it, I forgot I had that...it's yours, take it with you. Even in those days a 400 buck rifle, easy. I protested weakly and took it. Got feeling guilty that winter and brought him a few loads of firewood, we remained friends until he moved away. A small man with a big heart.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Hatari just wanted to know about the OWS as a source. But let me tell youse guys a little anecdote about Dave Cumberland, the man. In one of the frequent economic crashes the lumber market causes around here I was taking any and all work I could find. Gravy was thin and watery around the Flint Estate. Dave calls, "you the guy with the shop truck that works on equipment ?"...."Yup". An appointment is made to get his little forklift going, work is done within an hour, normally I wouldn't charge but times are hard, so he offers cash or check. I gratefully accept the check and he says that doesn't seem like enough ( seems like it was 75 bucks), why don't you pick something out here in the warehouse. So I go browsing, unbelievable, piles of gun stuff, ammo, mil surplus, reloading gear from the old Hollywood gun shop...well, I made the mistake of picking up a Springfield 1898 Krag leaning in the corner. He looked at it, I forgot I had that...it's yours, take it with you. Even in those days a 400 buck rifle, easy. I protested weakly and took it. Got feeling guilty that winter and brought him a few loads of firewood, we remained friends until he moved away. A small man with a big heart.

Great story! Liked his catalog.

Retired cat herder.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great story!

I talked to him a number of times years ago at SCI conventions. He'd stand around wearing his old Pickle Helmet or whatever it was talking about the oddball military stuff he sourced out some forgotten warehouse somewhere. Fun guy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF
What a blast from the past! In the 1980's, Bob Jensen wrote an article about how primers were the key to accuracy at 600 yards. In his article, he mentioned RWS primers as giving the smallest SD in his testing. Problem was they were unobtanium...except from Old Western Scrounger! Apparently the only one importing them at the time.

I think he was the source of RWS H-Mantle bullets that I can't get anymore

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Got my first 6.5x54M-S brass (RWS) from him.
Awhile ago

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use too. I didn't know they were still around.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/13/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I had my shop I used him quite a bit. I also pointed countless customers his way. He always had some unusual and interesting stuff.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Who remembers Belknap Junquery which later became Superior Collectable Investments ? Kind of along the same lines as OWS.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My father and I met him at a gun show in Portland, OR back in the mid 80’s. Dad had bought a rifle of some rare caliber, and I was teasing him about finding ammo for it. Along came OWS at the same gun show, and supplied dad with what he needed. The Mannlicher-Schoenauer collectors held their annual meeting in Portland that year, and it was held at same time as this gun show, otherwise we would have never made it to Portland for a gun show.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5MM REM MAG and 25 Stevens ammo.

He had new Remington 37 grain HPPL that I hadn't seen for awhile and he had his own brand of 67 grain 25 Stevens.

'Glad that I bought 500 rounds ot the 25 Stevens, 'cause I haven't seen any shooting ammo anywhere since 200?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Haven't heard that name in a long time. back in the 60's and early 70's he owned the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito Calif. His daughter went to the same high school i did. Don't even know if the old shop is still down there. 1970 he did or his smith did some work on a 98 Mauser I had.
I do still have a case of Winchester 22WRF in the locker from him.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Was working in the early 70's at the Union oil refinery in Rodeo, and spent many hours in that shop in El Cerrito . Cool place !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to order stuff from him, talked on the phone a time or two. Never knew what would be in his catalog.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.