Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once bought some 6.5x54MS ammo from them soon after I got a Model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer and they were the only source I could find. I did get dies and brass and have been handloading it ever since. That was my only experience with them.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve bought a few low dollar items from OWS, always a good experience. I like old school gun shops and gun parts catalogs/websites. OWS or Jack First is another good one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a lover of odd-ball sh*t, I bought a fair amount of stuff from him back in the '90s. Use to get DKT bullets from him. Remember those? They were one of the only "readily available", and I use that term loosely, source of .405 Win bullets back then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In 1992 I brought a .577 Snider carbine home from England, And OWS was the only place I knew of to get the components to shoot it. I bought some Bertram basic .577 cases. I also bought some from Dixie Gun Works, but they weren't drawn brass like the Bertram.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got the 1993 OWS catalog. Only one I have. Great stuff in this book.

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow…haven’t heard or seen one of those catalogs in a long time!!! Makes me remember the days when I had a Gun List subscription and impatiently waited for each issue, then engrossed myself in the ads like a little kid with a new comic book! A blast from the past for sure, and I didn’t know OWS was still around!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Once bought some 43 Egyptian from him.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We used to get 5mm Rem Mag and .22 WRF ammo from him occasionally

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never bought there but someone at work mentioned US Cavalry the other day - another old catalog blast from the past.

Me

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Bought some 40-82 ammunition from them about 25 - 30 yrs ago.
Very quick service then, but would imagine the people are not
the same ones now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Don't hold me to this, Dave had medical problems (cancer), moved to Reno from here, to be closer to good doctors, his son half heartedly ran the business, and I think it slowly faded away. Some outfit, maybe Navy Arms, bought the name and has a web page, but I haven't ordered anything since Dave operated it. There are still 2 old deactivated 16 inch naval shells along the highway where his home/warehouse was, the grandsons HAVE to stop every damn time we drive by there.

He ran it in Moundhouse near Carson City for a while after moving from Montague CA. It was close to the whore houses, and I got near there often. I hated to see it make the final move. He was my first source for .318 bullets for my "J" bores and for .364 193gr bullets for my 9,3X72R, and he often had ammo for both back when he was in Montague.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Way back in the late 90's, I had a 9.3x62 built. OWS was the only place I could find ammo! I scraped together some more Norma brass ( $$$) and the barrel was a Kreiger, special ordered. Now its much easier to get into the old thumper.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use to stop at his shop in Montague, when I was down in Siskiyou County on business back in the late 90s and early 2000s...
just south of us here in S. Oregon.

Definitely a nice guy, and very interesting shop....

Was down there the last time, evidently after he moved... shop was closed...

didn't know if he passed or just shut down the business...

haven't thought about it much since, until reading the thread here...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used to go over to the Old West Gun Room pretty often when I was in grad school. Had to walk a couple of miles because I couldn't afford both my gun addiction and wheels. Bought a lot of little parts to finish "parts guns" I'd acquired in garage sales (remember that?) and from "Shotgun News," the "newsprint internet" (remember that?).

Still have a .44-40 Colt Bisley that I'd bought in Mexico in the late 1950s in excellent shape except that some 'esmit had tried to covert it into a "Tejano" with incorrect SAA parts. Dave just happened to have a new condition backstrap and trigger guard that was about 200 numbers away from the ones on the frame. Quick trade plus a little boot, and I found near-new Bisley grips a couple of months later. Still shoot the old thing with Black Hills "Cowboy" lead ammo. Still deadly, made in 1909 just in time for the Revolution!

"Beesleys" were more popular in Mexico than in the US it seemed to me. Where I was they were called "abrebottelas" (bottle openers") because the lower hammer was so handy to pop beer bottle caps. I never saw one with a bent or broken hammer spur, tho.

Last edited by Mesa; 09/21/22.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading thru this, just did a deep dive into one of the unpacked boxes still in the basement & found a 1991 catalog. Some of the highlights...

A complete refurbished Starlight scope for $2750

Lee Loaders for $7.50

A 25mm Hotchkiss AT gun complete with 24 rds of AP ammo for $5600

20mm Solothurn primed brass for $6 each

Big Bang Cannons

Too bad back then I purged older catalogs when the new one arrived.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mesa
I used to go over to the Old West Gun Room pretty often when I was in grad school. Had to walk a couple of miles because I couldn't afford both my gun addiction and wheels. Bought a lot of little parts to finish "parts guns" I'd acquired in garage sales (remember that?) and from "Shotgun News," the "newsprint internet" (remember that?).

Still have a .44-40 Colt Bisley that I'd bought in Mexico in the late 1950s in excellent shape except that some 'esmit had tried to covert it into a "Tejano" with incorrect SAA parts. Dave just happened to have a new condition backstrap and trigger guard that was about 200 numbers away from the ones on the frame. Quick trade plus a little boot, and I found near-new Bisley grips a couple of months later. Still shoot the old thing with Black Hills "Cowboy" lead ammo. Still deadly, made in 1909 just in time for the Revolution!

"Beesleys" were more popular in Mexico than in the US it seemed to me. Where I was they were called "abrebottelas" (bottle openers") because the lower hammer was so handy to pop beer bottle caps. I never saw one with a bent or broken hammer spur, tho.

Brits pronounce the city Bisley “Beesley”.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
used to buy 8x56 MS ammo from him. Evidently he made the cases from something else. Stuff shot great. When I could no longer find that ammo, I had the rifle rechambered to 8x57 Mauser. Still shooting it.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always enjoyed stopping at his Shot Show table in early 2000's.

Murphy was a grunt.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
They still have a site. I didn’t try to order anything, though.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,867
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.