Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Beans slowing down, but tomatoes coming home strong !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Beans slowing down, but tomatoes coming home strong !!

Might need you to ship some of those tomatoes to me. Ours are just about finished. I just have a few more Beefsteaks on the vines and that will be it.

Wife is looking for a reason to pick the last of the peppers. Kale is coming on strong.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Winding down here, still a few cucumbers, sweet onions, tomatoes (brought in to ripen), boysenberries (just about done) and some cabbage. Already have big plans for next year including some more fruit tree grafting!
Late and cool spring slowed things down this year, and a couple rabbits created some issues too!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These 2 goofballs, found the mater patch & destroyed a bunch.

Decided to pick the rest green, before we lost them !

crazy

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The nearly everyday rain is backing off, was finally able to do some transplanting today did zucchini, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and 2-tomato plants. Also thinking about rutabaga, turnip, carrot and radish may plant something tomorrow if I get time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My garden is pretty much done. I do have some cabbage and broccoli planted in the high tunnel, and they'll last on into late fall and early winter. I planted some greens, but I guess that either the dry weather or low seed germination caused a poor stand, and I have some late green beans that are ready. Also, still getting tomatoes and will until frost.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well today we planted rutabaga, turnip, carrots and green onion. Will most likely plant radish Friday.
Weather has sure been nice this week low humidity mid 80's hardly broke a sweat feels much better working outdoors.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gardening is becoming fun again with cooler temperatures. My fall garden is coming alive cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, turnip, radish and rutabaga looking good. Won't be long we'll be making zucchini bread & muffins yummy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some cabbage, broccoli, and some mustard greens growing. Also, we're still picking the butterpeas, which are like a baby lima.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Starting to prep the garden and get the greenhouse ready. Plan to plant some turnip & Radish mid Feb. buy some seeds, cups & planting soil for cucumber, zucchini, tomato, peppers, okra, watermelon and whatever wife wants, will transplant some first week of April & May. Can't wait to get some fresh vegetables from the garden getting tired buying from the grocery stores pricey and not very fresh. Anybody else thinking about a spring & summer garden?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to think about it with the weather being what it is here. But........I have planted peas, potatoes, and cabbage in late February. I have a high tunnel, and could plant some early things in there, but I'm having problems with getting most vegetables to grow right in there. Probably because the soil changes after a few years under cover.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Gonna be time to plant before long

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Going to plant my Yucon Gold as soon as it dries out a bit. Corn and snap beans next month.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have at least 3months before we can plant here at 7650 feet elevation. Except for a few things, anything planted before Memorial day will be frozen out.

We are in a hail zone and get a lot of it. My garden has shrunk considerably in size. I get crop about once every three years. One year it gets hailed on, one year deer get it, and one year I might get to harvest.

With the drought we have been having for several years, the cost to pump water for it makes it unprofitable to grow.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/10/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It finally dried up enough to work a section of garden. Planted carrot, turnip & radish. In a couple weeks (weather permitting) will work the main section of garden we have plants growing and looking good in greenhouse, going to a plant show in the morning will most likely buy some, spring is almost here the trees are getting green and grass cutting has begun. Just dread what's coming soon summer too damn hot down here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I plowed my garden spot last fall, and was able to work a little of it up a few days ago. I planted some green peas, beets, and a few red potatoes. I don't expect the potatoes to do much, because the didn't have time to scab over properly after I cut them up and planted them. But, I couldn't help it, it was just too pretty not to try and plant some garden.

I have a 30X96 foot high tunnel that I usually plant, but it's been in production too long, and it's getting hard to get things to grow in it. I'll go buy some cabbage and broccoli plants in a few days and put them in there, as they'll be okay.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been Enjoying Asparagus for about a good month now. Planted the root about 7-12 yrs ago and it comes up early spring every year. In the fall I put about a foot of chopped up leaves on top to keep the winters snow damage to a minimum and it helps in the Spring as they pop up through the leaves. Here in Northern Ohio we're in zone 6 but not far from the bottom of zone 5 which I found to be important information if your into Gardening in this Area. Memorial Day is our Rule of thumb for planting in our area as we did have a heavy frost last week and the asparagus doesn't seem to mind it as it's hardy enough to withstand it. My neighbor started a bunch of plants indoors over the winter a couple months ago as did my wife and we get together and share with each other and make it a fun time! So he came over yesterday with his four wheeler and his flat bed bed snowmobile trailer with a mix of composted soil and sand ans some home made topsoil from the woods as we live in what's categorized as "Country Living" yet close to two major cities in Ohio between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio as we have enjoyed this place for well over the past 40 years finding some acreage and building our own place the way we liked it and I mean pounding almost every nail ourselves! Getting close to retirement with a year left to go and always enjoying the time spent outdoors I do feel myself slowing down. I put some heavy black plastic down in the garden about a month ago as the weeds we're starting to get out of control and yesterday started to plant on the already made hilly rows from the past several years. The soil is ready to go as last fall I did add some more leaf compost to the soil and mix it in. Been doing it this way for the past several years and it really produces some nice produce. The old Farmer around the Corner taught me years ago to lay the tomato plants sideways in the planting hole and cover with fresh soil gently bending the plant upwards slightly and covering with fresh planting soil. I mix some fresh compost, sand, Epsom salts, and food grade,(Harris),Diatomaceous Earth,(crawling bugs hate this), and this is what I use as my planting soil and it really works well as I try to keep it as all natural as I can. In the past we've had 8-9 foot tall tomato plants with a ton of fruit on each plant and always trimming as much as possible to keep from getting too tall as this really isn't the goal. Watering with the home made watering sprinkler hose about a foot under the plants helps during the hot summers. The soil is dark and rich as even my friend always notices as I only disturb a small cut in the plastic to make a planting hole in the coffee ground like soil.The leaf compost from the woods works wonders with all the right natural ingredients. As I get older the weeds kick me and my Wife's butt so I'm always trying to improve and slowly downsize our surroundings including the Garden. Gonna head out and possibly finish planting or at least get close to the end of it planted.
HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with your garden HunterShooter5.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks River!
Got all the peppers in yesterday and the rest of the Garden prepped for the additional Tomato plants,(my Favorite), and some Eggplant my Buddy dropped of. I like to call it a Community Garden as We do Share a lot because we do share a lot between Family, Friends and Neighbors. That Harris Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Really works out well. Seams to have eliminated the small Ant problem that was taking advantage of optimal Conditions.
Happy Memorial Day to ALL!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Picked over the weekend[img]http://[img]https://i.postimg.cc/1nNGLLZx/beans.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by kenacp; 05/29/23.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.