Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Had the guy send me a pick. Maybe this helps. Also how about that price? Reasonable?

Agree that's probably a flat top. Here's a good article on those revolvers and loading for them.

http://buffalobore.net/HandloaderDecJan2012.pdf

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Had the guy send me a pick. Maybe this helps. Also how about that price? Reasonable?

Looks to be a Flat Top. Tier II strength.

I wouldn't wait if you really want it, the price seems fair for the market, and the revolvers are only going up in price.

Here's a pic of my Blackhawk 45 convertible. Very versatile handgun,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Montana that’s a handsome Ruger. I’m picking mine up Monday. If I was carrying it in Grizz country what would be recommended in the Tier II options?

Moses Tucker,

I do not own any Tier II revolvers, and I'm honestly not well versed on the loads or factory ammo that are suitable for top performance in the Tier II revolver.

I believe the best option for you would be to talk with Mackay Sagebrush. I believe he loads ammo that would be just the ticket. You should be able to get the 270gr or 280gr Keith style SWC at 900-1000 fps, and that should cover a lot of ground for all things big and small.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The medium frame Flattop convertible is my personal favorite.

A 270 grain Keith Semi Wadcutter at 900 FPS is not only a tackdriver but there is not much it is not going to flatten, as Okie John was discussing in his post. It is a favorite of quite a few handgun hunters.

What is your preferred powder for that bullet?

Thanks.

There are a BUNCH of good powders for the .45 LC.

Tightgroup, W231, Unique, Longshot all will deliver excellent results.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They seem to be very versatile, especially if you handload. Was shooting mine yesterday with a 300 grain hard cast behind 21 grains of H110. This one has taken several black bears. Barrel chopped off, makes it pretty handy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fshaw
The medium frame Flattop convertible is my personal favorite.

A 270 grain Keith Semi Wadcutter at 900 FPS is not only a tackdriver but there is not much it is not going to flatten, as Okie John was discussing in his post. It is a favorite of quite a few handgun hunters.

What is your preferred powder for that bullet?

Thanks.

There are a BUNCH of good powders for the .45 LC.

Tightgroup, W231, Unique, Longshot all will deliver excellent results.

Herco also works good for 250 gr LBT WFN hard cast bullets and Keith type semi wadcutters at 850 to 1000 fps. It’s real close to Unique’s burn rate, if you can’t find any Unique. I’ve loaded from 8 to 10 grains with good results.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
They seem to be very versatile, especially if you handload. Was shooting mine yesterday with a 300 grain hard cast behind 21 grains of H110. This one has taken several black bears. Barrel chopped off, makes it pretty handy!
Is that engraving on the cylinder?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Is that engraving on the cylinder?

That's standard on the Bisley models. My 44Mag Bisley,

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes engraved on the Bisleys

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I removed the engraving and safety warning on my 45 Colt. I couldn't stand the look. The 5 1/2" Bisley is hard to beat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This may be a stupid question…

Is it possible to change the grips from my new model Blackhawk to a Bisley style grip?

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Moses,

Absolutely you can.

There are a couple different paths to get there. One , if you want to get the actual Bisley grips is to swap grip frames. You will want to swap hammers as well. The other is to retain the current grip frame and simply purchase oversize grip panels that are closer in size and shape to what you are looking for. I don't pretend to keep up with the plethora of variations that are available, but there are a fair number, from some makers and I am sure some of our guys can help. If not go over to the Single actions forum and they will give you all the info you could ever need.

The mid size frame that you have is really not uncomfortable for shooting loads that will stomp literally anything into the dirt. Any 270, 280, 300 grain SWC up to 1,000 FPS can be sent down the tube of that gun with ease.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is it possible to change the grips from my new model Blackhawk to a Bisley style grip?

Man, dude, yeah, you could. But that begs the question why ruin a perfectly good beautiful plow handle? wink

It seems Bisley grips are all the rage, and I have several, but I'm a pinkie under the grip guy and much prefer a plow handle. Better yet, my favorite is a dragoon style grip.

All things considered after parts cost and labor, whether yours or a gunsmith's, it's better to keep that one in its current configuration and just buy ya' a Bisley framed model too.

If you must change frames, Ronnie Wells is where your search should begin and end, in my opinion. https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by okie john
I've posted this before, and I'll post it again:

Any discussion of the 45 Colt should start with a reading from John Linebaugh’s epistle to the faithful (https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings):

“I have personally taken about 10 antelope and 1 mule deer with a .45 Colt. My boys have taken around 6 antelope and 5 mule deer with their .45 Colts. They use a 4 3/4" Colt SA and the handload is a 260 Keith cast at 900 fps. This load will shoot lengthwise of antelope and mule deer at 100 yards. In my estimation it kills as well as the .270, 30-06 class rifles if the shots are placed properly. If I were hunting heavier game I'd step up the velocity to 1200 fps and in extreme circumstances, (elk, hogs, bear) go to the 310 gr cast slug. This load, 310 at 1200 will go through elk like so much air.”

I’m not sure what’s heavier than mule deer and lighter than elk, hogs, or bear, but those are the words of the master.

The 45 Colt is good ballistically, but there are wrinkles on the logistical side. 45 Colt revolvers and ammo are classed in four tiers:

Tier I = Colt SAA and clones, which top out at 14,000 psi. It’s easy to handload a 250-grain SWC or LFN to 1,000 fps, which will meet 99% of your needs. Factory ammo is another story—you might find something like that handload, or you might only find a load with a pointy 180-grain bullet at 600 fps that will barely stay on a pie plate at 25 yards. Test and make careful notes if you have to rely on factory ammo.

Tier II = S&W Model 25 and Ruger Flat Tops, which top out around 23,000 psi. This is a 250-grain jacketed bullet at 1,100 fps, a 280-grain cast bullet at 1,150 fps, or a 318-grain cast bullet at 1,070 fps. Brian Pearce has written excellent articles about handloading to this level in Handloader magazine, most notably in April, 2007. You’ll need those articles, though, because no factory loads this ammo and loading manuals don’t cover it.

Tier III = Ruger New Model Blackhawks (NOT Flat Tops or New Vaqueros), Redhawks, Freedom Arms 97, and similar guns. These top out around 32,000 psi. You can buy this ammo over the counter. It’s expensive and recoil is fierce, but they match the hottest 44 Magnum loads with slightly less pressure. Most sources of loading data call this “45 Colt +P” or “Ruger/TC only.” These loads can destroy a Tier I or Tier II revolver, so many—but not all—of them are intentionally built too long to fit into the cylinder of an SAA or clone.

Tier IV = custom five-shot guns with longer than standard cylinders, which top out around 50,000 psi. These are a handload-only proposition. I had a couple of these guns built by David Clements, and they’ll move a 325-grain bullet an honest 1,400 fps.

The 45 Colt has a lot of romance but most of its advantages are theoretical and only pan out if you handload to Tier III or IV levels.

Okie John

TAG

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll echo many here and say you don't need to load to max.

Have a couple 45s and a Super Blackhawk I bought in the 80s as a kid.

Dad warned me shooting that 44 too much would have bad results later.
Ran thousands of rounds through it, medium and full power.
Enough that it was getting out of time and needed a new hand fitted.

Today, if I go to the range and run many hot loads through a 44 or 45,
my elbows and shoulder hurt for days. So, the 44 240s run around 1000fps,
The 45 250/255s go around 8-900. The weight, longer grip, and double barrel length make the 44 much more comfortable.

The 45s are 4 5/8", a nice gun to carry. Shooting them with warm loads
gives a really fast recoil impulse that climbs a lot. That gets old fast for me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a 5.5 bisley with a few basic mods (cylinder reamed and a Bowen sight and trigger job). Most has been covered before but I found it cheaper to sell my old standard grip 45 colt and buy the bisley I wanted then do a conversion.

A 255/260 at 1000 fps is plenty for deer and any reasonable black bear and doesn't use much powder and is at a recoil level I can shoot a good number of rounds without pain. Years ago I shot hot fast 44mags and I find the slower 45 colt much more pleasant to shoot. I have shot 4 deer with the 45 colt and a few with jacketed loads in a 44mag and the colt does just a good job as the more painful 44.

As an east coaster, with no Griz, I never played with heavy loads.

While I have played around with some more expensive WFN bullets the cheap bulk 255s shoot well in my gun and kill deer so I settled on those. There are a number of powders that will get you to 1000fps +/- .

A change in residency ended my handgun hunting, but I still take the 45 to range every now and them, its a great comfortable gun and more accurate than I am.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

That is a perfect old Bisley right down to the honest wear. Did you lop it off at five inches?

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you're interested in having a 45 Colt, (or Long Colt) buy the real thing. Colt was around for 100 years before Ruger. You deserve the original!!

"The older I get, the better I was"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I swapped mine over a lil while back. Stainless bisley hammer, trigger, and frame from midway was around $150 I believe. Had to fit the frame, but it wasn't bad.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I'll echo many here and say you don't need to load to max.

Have a couple 45s and a Super Blackhawk I bought in the 80s as a kid.

Dad warned me shooting that 44 too much would have bad results later.
Ran thousands of rounds through it, medium and full power.
Enough that it was getting out of time and needed a new hand fitted.

Today, if I go to the range and run many hot loads through a 44 or 45,
my elbows and shoulder hurt for days. So, the 44 240s run around 1000fps,
The 45 250/255s go around 8-900. The weight, longer grip, and double barrel length make the 44 much more comfortable.

The 45s are 4 5/8", a nice gun to carry. Shooting them with warm loads
gives a really fast recoil impulse that climbs a lot. That gets old fast for me.
Yes, shooting my Old Model Vaquero with full house .44 Magnum loads is no fun at all, despite being a heavy gun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sarge, barrel is 4 5/8". Original owner chopped it off to make it more handy for bear hunting. Killed several blacks (bears) with it, showed me some cool old pictures and mounts.
You guys would have a stroke if you knew what I payed for it ! Told him it was worth much more, but he insisted since it had been basterdized , that was the price he was asking.
Got the holster and belt and about 75 rounds of reloads also.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.