Print Thread
Hop To
#17599 06/06/01
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just thought I'd try this...<BR>Went to the Deshka on monday last. Kinda a zoo, for a weekday. Don't these people have dayjobs? [Linked Image] Fished hard all day, finally put one in the boat about 8pm, about 20 lbs. Just a bit later, my dad hooked another, and handed the pole to my almost 9 year old daughter. I got a picture of her fighting it, and then the line broke! Maybe they'll still be running late next week.<P>My dad thinks he's got 'em figured out...He's fishing wiggle worts, right on bottom, presenting them from upstream. He limited out in a coupla hours tues., haven't heard from him today yet. Any other salmon fishermen out there?<P>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am devoted salmon fisherman. I live in Michigan, right on Lake Michigan. The spring run of Kings have been going on for about a little over a month now. The fish are in shallow now (20 feet or less) We fish off boats and troll for them. Depending on what time of year it is, we either run downriggers or dipsy divers and sometimes lead core line, or if it is early, we will run surface lines about 200to 300 feet benind the boat or we will run planer boards or yellow birds. Baits vary, Early year it is mostly body baits, summer and fall, it is mostly spoons. We fish salmon as well as steel head, coho, brown trout, and lake trout. Absolutely love it. <BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Keeb,<P>Fished Lake Mich. once, years ago, no fish in the boat though. Never did catch a salmon in Michigan, but did work one summer at the egg buying station in Grand Rapids across from the dam. Cleaned alot of them! Have yet to troll salt water for them in Alaska, perhaps later, if I have time.<P>Thanks for the memories!<BR>John

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Went to Lake Creek Sunday water high but fishable. Had quite an unplesent experince with German fisherman. We were fishing from <BR>shore and they motored right to where we were<BR>fishing, and anchored! I then proceded to <BR>put my lure as close to there boat as possible. A lot of tourists think that because of there expenses they have priority over others, lets see they spent 2K to get here and my friend only spent 100k for his float plane. End result is we were skunked!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
KK,<P>Sorry 'bout your trip...the rivers are really getting bad. Thats the main reason I haven't caught a King, 'till this year, in so many years. The guides really think they own the rivers, now. I know they are trying to make a living, but those fish belong to all of us. Being a long time resident (born here), I think, naturally, they are MINE first!<P>Been to the Deshka three times so far this season, looks like we're done. Yesterday was REALLY slow, saw just a few fish caught, caught a small jack (22"), went home. The water temp at the mouth was 65 deg! To many hot days (did I really say that about Alaska?!). A friend thinks the fish will be back if some cold water flushes through...but it's gonna take a heckuva rain to do enough, I think. Oh well, Dad says he's done with kings this year, and we're gonna catch halibut 'till the silvers come in, which is fine with me. I got three kings this year, two over 20lbs, and my daughter got her first, an aprox 10 lb., and thats more than I've got in the last TEN years.<P>Good luck, all, and on to HALIBUT! (but I guess that goes in the saltwater fishing!)<P>John

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.