Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not talking about you guys who live where winter means you put on a long sleeve t-shirt, but freezing, blowing snow winter.

If you're wearing a zipped up parka or some other type of heavy coat that isn't going to let you just lift it quickly to get to your IWB holster what alternate means do you use? I used to carry the pistol loosely in the bellows pocket of my parka but that's not optimal for several reasons.

So - what solutions do you use?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like a Serpa paddle holster on strong side hip.

If I'm inside a store or something, I unzip/unbutton my coat so access is still reasonably fast.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little offbeat, but I often carry an IWB holster in the inside breast pocket of a jacket. A weakside holster has to be used (I'm a lefty so a righty IWB).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not talking about you guys who live where winter means you put on a long sleeve t-shirt, but freezing, blowing snow winter.

If you're wearing a zipped up parka or some other type of heavy coat that isn't going to let you just lift it quickly to get to your IWB holster what alternate means do you use? I used to carry the pistol loosely in the bellows pocket of my parka but that's not optimal for several reasons.

So - what solutions do you use?
On the rare nights when it gets down into the 30s or lower here in northern Florida, and I'm wearing a parka, I slip a J-Frame .38 in my outside coat pocket.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cross draw.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are going to wear a zipped up parka, and you are sure you won't be taking the parka off, one of the chest rigs like the Diamond D Guides Choice or Gunfighters Kenai Chest Rig would be excellent.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
inside carhartt vest pocket, whether a coat over the top, or not....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The few times I have to wear a heavy coat in the winter, I use a Galco Shoulder Holster that has a double mag pouch on the opposite side for a Commander Length 1911.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I carry in a Serpa under my jacket in the winter. I normally am unzipped so access isn’t an issue. If the weather is so bad I need to zip up my jacket I’m less concerned about encountering nefarious intentioned characters.

Often I have a sweater or a fleece vest covering my carry piece. It seems to be a good option and allows me easy access.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pictures just for reference,lol
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use Milt Sparks Holsters outside the waistband rigs. The 55BN, 1AT, the optics ready holster, etc. Just depends on the gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Their holsters will last a lifetime, and then some if properly taken care of.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's not "freezing, blowing snow winter" here but it gets cold enough to wear heavy coats. I usually carry the same way I do in summer, etc. OWB behind right hip. Difference is in the summer I leave the Tshirt untucked. Winter I tuck the tshirt and leave the second shirt untucked. Heavy coat or other layers need to be unzipped to access.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm surprised that I appear to be alone in my J-Frame .38 in the outside coat pocket solution. This has been a standard mode of carry in the cold since the J-Frame first appeared on the market.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I'm wearing a coat over a flannel or heavy flannel it almost never is zipped. I carry OWB with a flannel or flannel style jacket over. Simply sweep with the hand to gain access. 99.95% of the time tho - I am just in a flannel of some sort here in WI

If I'm outside long enough where I need it zipped to remain warm - I'm usually in the woods etc and unlikely to meet a 2 legged varmint so I'm not uber concerned but will occasionally simply place like Huntsman does - Carhartt jacket pocket.

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm surprised that I appear to be alone in my J-Frame .38 in the outside coat pocket solution. This has been a standard mode of carry in the cold since the J-Frame first appeared on the market.

Sometimes I'll carry an LCR in my front left jeans pocket. In winter I'll put it in my left front coat/jacket hand pocket if I carry it. I don't always have it though.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
PF9 in the front pants pocket pocket, PF9 in parka breast pocket, or M&P in a paddle on my 4 o'clock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That is one of the most practical ways to address original post. Most of the guys posting here will never need to draw a gun, therefore, manner of carry is not relevant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 61 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,788
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.