Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago my Yankee buddy came down and hunted with me.....

We went to several spots that morning with no luck so I took my buddy to a spot where I had called and killed several turkeys....
We were dealing with some turkeys that were quite a distance over the property line in a 6 or 80 hundred yard long crop field bottom with about a 100 yards of woods between where I could hunt and the field.....only tree on my side of the the fence this big loan oak tree on this pasture hill side. I don't normally build blinds but in this case I had drug a few logs and brush up around the tree. After some long calling sessions I had called and killed several turkeys there.

The turkeys responded after a while....after a time my buddy started whispering to me...."they're not coming" I said "be quiet and be still"....every time I told him this he either said "they can't see me" or "they can't hear me".

This was working on my nerves big time....

After a time I picked my calls up and whispered "let's go". When we got quite a distance from the spot I stopped turned a round and told him..."if you ever go hunting with me and you do that crap again I'm going to get up and one of us is going to get his azz whipped....If you don't think he's coming what are we doing out here"

He went home and I called and killed a gobbler at that spot the next day.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good friend of mine has neuropathy, an issue with the nerve ends. He has some trouble getting around and is always cold! I got him up in an area of another buddy's property that historically, I've had pretty good success in. I let out some calls and was rewarded with a gobble not very far away, so we "set up". The tom came around a rock point and was literally only a couple feet away from us, right in front of my friend's gun. The tom just stood there looking around for the hen and I waited for the boom. My buddy was in position, gun shouldered, finger on the trigger, but was just "frozen" in place! I whispered "shoot!", still no boom. The tom is just standing there not 5 feet from us! I say louder, "shoot!", still nothing! Lol! Finally I ask, in a normal voice, if he was going to pull the trigger or not. Finally the tom had enough, kinda walked around and finally walked away, didn't run or fly. My buddy looked at me like WOW! I started laughing! He said he tried to shoot, but nothing happened! Turns out his 870 wasn't in battery. I said we just had all the fun/excitement of turkey hunting and we still have our tags, we can continue to hunt. Later in the day, I could get that tom to reply and come part way in, but not like it did that morning. Not sure how to put into words the look on my buddy's face when he looked at me when the tom finally walked away, it was a Kodak moment for sure! One of many stories that I can bore you with, we have a very good time turkey hunting!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I saw that very thing in Mississippi one fall...I loaned a buddy my 870. This was the last year they allowed rifles /pistols in Mississippi I had a shot with my S&W model 48 .22 magnum pistol but could take it I would've been shooting a foot or two past my buddies head. We just watched him walk off.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Another time, different buddy, same area, new turkey hunter. I went over with him certain scenarios and what I would do depending on what the turkey did and what I hoped my buddy would then do. Went over how I would putt if a tom was in, in the hope of him sticking his head up to see what the putt was about. And that that was the time to pull the trigger.

Called a tom up out of the creek bottom that came on the run! My buddy was maybe 10 to 15 yards in front of me and was using my SP-10. We both heard, and saw, the tom and my buddy was ready. When I putted, the tom stuck his head up as we hoped and my buddy pulled the trigger. A branch right next to the turkey's head dissapeared and the turkey ducked down. I putted again, turkey stuck his head up again, my buddy fired again, another branch dissapeared! Lol! With that, the turkey flew off and my buddy shot a third time and missed again. I started laughing when my buddy turned around to look at me with a huge WTF expression on his face! I'm laughing again now as I'm writing this! I told him, as with my other buddy, that we just had all the fun of turkey hunting and we can continue hunting. His reply was "oh, leave me alone with my misery!" To which I replied "okay, but that was one of the biggest tom's I've ever seen up here!" Haha! I won't repeat what he said back to me! Turns out, a piece of cloth between the eye holes on his mask was blocking his vision. We cut that out and later in the day, he killed a nice tom.

Then there was the time I missed 3 different toms on 3 separate setups! I hit everything but the toms! My buddy's couldn't believe what was going on. Went back to the cabin, set up a target and saw that I was hitting about 3 feet high! Turns out that my new bifocals were the culprit and haven't hunted wearing bifocals since then.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can miss them more ways than you can dream of if you hunt them long enough...lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I used to tell folks if you call up a lot turkeys you'll miss a few....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The first year turkeys were fair game behind my house, I set up behind a deadfall as it was the only place I could set up in some shade. I had a tom replying but was on a slight hill above me and he wouldn't peek over. I started cutting real hard and fast with a box call trying to get him fired up and it seemed to be working as he was getting closer. I was looking up the hill when a hen jumped over part of the log and right into my lap! We both let out a squawk that frightened the tom let alone each other. That is the only year I was blanked out back.

Another time, same place except I was on top of the hill. It was about 10:30 and I was a little sleepy. I stretched out on a flat spot next to a tree. Suddenly, something woke me up. Somehow I didn't move anything but my eyelids. Standing next to me, so close all I could see were feet, a little bit of belly, and the tip of the beard, was a tom. I think he actually pecked me which what woke me up!

I didn't move a muscle until he turned and began to walk away. I slowly reached for my gun when I heard another tom begin to make alarm clucks. I grabbed my gun, rolled to a sitting position and too kind he first tom on the run. He had a 13 1/8" beard and took third place at the local turkey contest. He would have placed better but his spurs were broken and it was late in the season and he lost a little weight.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Turkey hunting can be exciting for sure.

My first fall hunt in Tennessee was a county by county draw hunt for one turkey either sex..
I put in for Hardeman county and was drawn. Then I literally knew nothing but what I had read about fall hunting....(written by a girl nAme Of Denise I think)

I got there early.....the farm consisted of about 300 acres. About 60/40 hilly hardwoods with crop field bottoms (4 fields) with a dry creek/ravine dividing the crop fields.

I just hunted slow like i was squirrel hunting....only real difference i was using the hilly terrain to try and stay hidden as i moved......occasionaly I would give out a few yelps on an acrylic trumpet call I had made. Just over the rise a turkey answered....yelp yelp. I immediately sat down and answered and got my shotgun ready. Next thing I knew a hen walked over the hill and bOOm she fell and turkey flew everywhere. I had shot my first fall turkey.
I was kinda excited I think....then hear a turkey yelping. I yelped back a few times they answered and the next thought I had was I better get the hell out of here before I shoot another one. . .limit was one.

The reason I told about this hunt was because really it was a pretty dull hunt compared to most fall hunts I had later.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back in the late 90's, I'd sprained my ankle really bad, and of course it was during the turkey season. I was determined not to let it bother me much, and I could hunt, but I just couldn't move at a fast pace. I was set up in one of my favorite places, along the edge of a ten acre field that was covered in broomsedge, with a farm road that went right through the middle of it. Turkeys really used this spot, and I'd had good luck hunting it.

It was mid-morning, and my ankle was hurting, so I was calling a little, when I spotted some movement at the far end of the field. I could see a gobbler coming towards me down the road. I was watching him make his way using my binoculars, when about halfway across the field I saw a commotion in a thick part of the broomsedge. At first I thought it was another turkey fighting with the one I was watching. But, what happened was that a coyote had ambushed my turkey, killed it, and started down the road going away from me, carrying the turkey.

This happened about 150 yards from me, and I was mad. I decided to go after the coyote and see if I could get a shot, the problem was that I couldn't walk fast, only hobble along. The coyote saw me, but it couldn't go very fast either, as the weight of the turkey was slowing it down. So, I'd cut the distance between us to about a 100 yards, but we were both going about the same speed, the coyote refusing to drop the turkey, and me hobbling as fast I could, just not fast enough.

I chased that coyote across two fields and a woods, before losing him in a heavily wooded area. I'm sure there was a den that it was headed to, and that's why it was hanging onto the turkey, and wouldn't drop it and run. I'm sure that was a sight with a crippled hunter chasing a coyote, hoping to cut the distance down close enough to shoot it because the stole the hunters turkey.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dang...not the ending I was hoping to hear.

I noticed you're from Kentucky.

Years back I had just gotten my turkey dog puppy name of Buster. A lady from Atlanta Georgia gave him to me fact she drove 500 miles and delivered him to me because she wanted a hunter to have him....I worked with him every day.

Truthfully I thought I was going to have to drive to Virginia to hunt him.

That year word got out that Kentucky was making turkey dogs legal.

By the time Kentucky season opened Buster was 8 months old...I had rode up and checked out several public land locations during late summer.
Clarks River Refuge was the closet one to me and I saw turkeys when I drove around and I checked it out.

Opening day I killed the first legal turkey using a turkey dog in the state of Kentucky on a spot and flush hunt....second day Buster found them on his own in the hardwood river bottoms and after a short time I killed his second turkey.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe GlockheAd will post his spring turkey hunting video it's a winner hands down as the funniest turkey hunting video ever....lol

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I was set up, in a dead fall, on the very edge of a very steep, deep, cut looking out at a field that always has good turkey activity. Call, listen, watch, repeat.... more than a few times. Sun started hitting on me, warmed me up nice and started checking my eyelids for pinholes! Lol! Thought I heard something and sat up for a look around... nothing. Suddenly, a tom let's out a gobble right behind me, literally only a couple feet away! It came up the steep bank. I jumped up like I'd been stung by a bee and almost swallowed my call! Haha!

Another time, a buddy and I were walking along a creek bottom headed to a known strutting area. Maybe we sounded like turkeys walking along as a tom lit up on a flat above the creek bottom. We quickly set up and I started scratching and making some soft calls. The tom thundered away but came no closer, staying up on the flat. After a bit, I told my buddy I was going to cross the creek and go up the hill to a dead fall that was close to where the tom was gobbling. When I got to the dead fall, the tom was still going at it and I let out a couple short yelps. I could hear the tom walking around right on the other side of the dead fall. I shouldered my shotgun, as I stood up, ready if needed. As I stood up, the tom started gobbling again. When the tom saw me, still gobbling, it actually made him stutter and he made the funniest, weirdest, sound. I started laughing and could hear my buddy laughing from the creek bottom. Didn't get that tom either, but that's okay too.

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
LFC, how's the electric bike working out? I keep looking at them...

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I got rid of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Maybe GlockheAd will post his spring turkey hunting video it's a winner hands down as the funniest turkey hunting video ever....lol

You noticed something about my video, did you? Mine had a turkey in it. None of yours do.

So, that's my story. 2nd or 3rd hunt of the spring season, called a tom in, it started towards me, then took to the air, only to be followed by a deer charging in from behind it. True. Caught on video and posted here.

Truth LFC. Not one of your imaginary tales.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Post the video.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why don't you? You posted it on the forum you had to create for youself because you had been banned everywhere else except here. You saw it. You decided to make fun of it not thinking I would see it.

Hey, I just thought of something. If you flipped your screen name around to CFL, that would match Camp Fire Liar.

By the way, Luthey. You've been challenging Yoder for months over who he worked for in the choke tube industry. But you've failed to provide the name of the "one guy" who had a "prostaff" you were on who sent you out one year, without pay, to kill 30 turkeys. (BTW, was that a year you were on disability and people who bought your calls had to send checks to your wife to pay for them?) So, who was the "one guy" that had you on his unpaid "prostaff?" Must have been a real go getter. Because all sorts of individuals have unpaid prostaffs, right?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You know this was a pretty good thread until you showed up with your bull chit and lies....

I baited you here.....and you took it hook line and sinker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You baited me here? Shyt, Luthey, you can't even help but destroy the threads you start. That's how eff'd up you are. No, talking [bleep] about people is your MO. That's why no one takes your seriously anymore, and you aren't welcome on any forums except this one, and the ridiculous forum you had to create for yourself when you got kicked off every other.

Tell us, who was that "one guy" whose "prostaff" you were on that sent you out to kill 30 turkeys one year "unpaid?" Do it. Tell us. You demand the same from Yoder. So you tell us, you hypocrite. And then we'll verify it.

You're a hypocrite. Just like you demanded an apology for being called a liar, but refused to apologize to another member here you called a liar when he proved what you called him a liar for was true.

And by the way, how many turkeys do you claim you've shot? It's like over a 1,000 now, right? 30 in one year, 200 fall birds in 12 years (17 fall birds a year, every year, for 12 years)? And hundreds of others?

You're so full of [bleep] your breathe stinks and your eyes are brown.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Stop by my shop....just get ready to loose an ear I'll put it up next to the bobcat tails.

You want another chance with me....then tell me who is feeding you the lies about me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.