Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I've done it a few times. I've had good success. But, I've only ever pulled the trigger twice

That's sure iZ a lOt of success Denise....in 12 years my dog sat in on about 200 fall kills without the use of a sack or a the use of a blind.

Not sure I'm prouder of.......you or your dog. Which of you is it that doesn't have a sack ??

Now.............ask me how many times I've called gobblers or gobbler flocks into gun range in the fall and NOT pulled the trigger because it's a waste of a regal spring opponent. Called in a flock of 13 longbeards last fall and killed a nice double bearded tom. Then I was pizzed off at myself for weeks for having done it.

No. DON'T ask me. Because I don't feel the need to justify anything to you. I do know that the total number of fall turkeys I've killed is less than 200. But I have no idea WHAT the number is. I'm not a turkey counter. Turkey counters are the guys who have to have a number to toss out during a dick swinging contest in an attempt to legitimize their woods cred. Believe it or not.......no matter WHO you are.......I'll know in the first 2 minutes of talking turkey hunting what someone's skill level is. I don't need told. Quickest way for someone to lose my respect in a turkey hunting discussion (if I ever had any in the first place) is for someone to toss their kill numbers at me. That's where they get an "Oh........that's nice" and I'm done.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just when I start to think you MIGHT have a tiny bit of usefulness in this forum, Luther, you go and prove me wrong. grin grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d imagine that if one limited the hunt to mature gobblers, the challenge would be considerable. The few I’ve run into have been pretty dang wary, and were solo. Scattering a flock of hens and poults then calling one in doesn’t seem all that tough, but the one time I did it for my young son it was a lot of fun, and he sure enjoyed it. I woulda had one too if not for the balky magazine in my .22/45.

We have another few days in January when hunters using stick bows or sidelock MLs can shoot a turkey, a bear (good luck with THAT) or a deer, another mixed bag opportunity. I’ll be hoping for snow that week.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to hunt turkey exclusively with a big ol 10 bore SxS muzzleloading shotgun. I truly enjoyed that! On kind of a modern firearm kick at the moment...

But I can see getting back into that. Also used to load shorter black powder shells for a couple old Belgium 12 bore SxS hammer guns (Shrapnel, enjoyed your picture, roll crimp?). Was even published about some of it in the now defunct "BlackPowder Hunting" magazine out of I forget where Wyoming. But that and a couple bucks got me a cup of coffee this morning.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I kept up with it because I was proud of my dog....I stopped counting at close to 200.

I've let a few longbeards walk in the spring so I could keep hunting none in the fall with the exception of the winter season at Ft. Campbell....bearded birds were off limits in their winter season.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One thing I never did was count my kills (except to make sure I did not go over my limit) Same goes for deer.
Had a guy ask me a few years back how many turkeys I have killed, he could not believe that I did not know.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I first started I kept up with it I could tell you how many at some point you will loose count.

I've always notched the chalk boxes on my box calls and I used to notch my pot calls too.

I only have two boxes one I made in 1995 has about 75 or 80 notches the other box I made in 2007 has over a 100 notched. They only get a notch if they're involved in the kill....its nice to look back on.

Other than that I stopped counting years ago.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pullit
One thing I never did was count my kills (except to make sure I did not go over my limit) Same goes for deer.
Had a guy ask me a few years back how many turkeys I have killed, he could not believe that I did not know.

I've lnow a lot people that like to brag.....one guy in particular comes to mind I won't mention any names because most here would know of him.

He used liked to throw out these big numbers of turkeys he had killed.

Funny i met him a few years after his house burnt to the ground and story goes he lost everything he had.....when I met him a few years later he had about 60 to 80 beards on the wall in his new house.

Didn't take a Rocket scientist to figure out there was a bugger in the wood plie.

I've also known people that have hunted for decades and killed a lot of turkeys that really don't know much more than when they started out turkey hunting.

This might sound far fetched but ive hunted with a few.....

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
As much as I like spring turkey hunting I’m still more amazed by all the different sounds you hear turkeys make in the fall. I vividly remember busting a flock of 7 or 8 gobblers one December in KY in a snowstorm that deadened all the sound except those birds gobbling in every direction around us. I’m not sure I ever heard turkeys gobbling in the winter before that day and they must have gobbled over 100 times.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Buster and I ran into a December flock of close to 60 gobblers in Cheatam county Tn. on more than one occasion......gobbling, strutting, fighting turkeys gone wild.

One might ask how you could count 60 gobblers in big hardwoods....you can't but a fellow that lived up there told me about them.

The spring turkey hunter will never hear what a fall hunter will hear or have the conversations with turkeys that a fall hunter can occasionally have....

I learned more about how to call turkeys in my years fall hunting than I ever learned in the spring.

I've took people with my dog and have a turkey come in peeping....peep peep sometimes just one peep.

I look over there and the guy is playing on his cell phone. Later I asked him if he heard that turkey calling directly in from of him while he was playing on his phone he said "that wasn't a turkey that was just a bird".

It was a bird alright a hen turkey that had the hell scared out of it by Buster the Brown Bomber.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
.......i met him a few years after his house burnt to the ground and story goes he lost everything he had.....when I met him a few years later he had about 60 to 80 beards on the wall in his new house.

You don't suppose that fellow was shooting more turkeys than what the law allowed for, do you ??

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My dog hasn’t sniffed a turkey since the spring when I kept some wings and fans to put in the freezer. I got a wing out last night to drag across the back yard this morning before I let him out and without him knowing what I was up to. Normally when I let him out he makes a beeline for the back corner of the yard where I scatter bird seed to feed the doves. Within a few seconds of letting him out he hit the scent trail of the drag to a flower bed in the opposite corner of the yard where I’d hidden the wing. Hopefully we’ll make it to KY in October for a hunt. I figure with all the regulation changes going on this might one of last few opportunities to try to get him into some birds.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew my my tag for fall. There were close to a hundred out at the ranch Sunday afternoon when I took my camper out to the barn. I only saw two groups of gobblers. Will be a lot of fun.

Usually hunt them with my longbow, which makes a lot more challenging.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Turkey feather fletchings? Lol! That would be cool!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Usually hunt them with my longbow, which makes a lot more challenging.

Now THAT'S cool, right there !!!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do save wing feathers and fletch arrows with them. Long time ago I even split tail feathers and made flu flu arrows.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bringing back memories! Enjoy!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
I do save wing feathers and fletch arrows with them. Long time ago I even split tail feathers and made flu flu arrows.

I made some of those a few years ago with feathers I picked up while walking my dog. I just wrapped the split feather around the shaft in front of the regular fletching. Works fine.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I guess I never really understood the allure of finding a flock, not shooting one, breaking the flock up, then calling them back in, and then shooting one. I guess that has appeal if you just want to fall call. Hell, I've had flocks forage nearly up to my deer stand apparently unconcerned I was there. I've stood up or made a noise with my feet, scared them off a ways, only to have them work their way back to the same location 20 or 30 minutes later. Like they don't even remember I was there. I just don't see fall turkey hunting as hard as spring hunting. And taking a bird from a flock that forages up to your stand is certainly no less ethical than setting up a deer stand on a deer trail and waiting for a buck to head from where he's bedded to a field. One method is not more "ambushing" than the other.
Fall calling a bird up is an excellent way for beginners to learn to call and communicate.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I guess I never really understood the allure of finding a flock, not shooting one, breaking the flock up, then calling them back in, and then shooting one. I guess that has appeal if you just want to fall call. Hell, I've had flocks forage nearly up to my deer stand apparently unconcerned I was there. I've stood up or made a noise with my feet, scared them off a ways, only to have them work their way back to the same location 20 or 30 minutes later. Like they don't even remember I was there. I just don't see fall turkey hunting as hard as spring hunting. And taking a bird from a flock that forages up to your stand is certainly no less ethical than setting up a deer stand on a deer trail and waiting for a buck to head from where he's bedded to a field. One method is not more "ambushing" than the other.
Fall calling a bird up is an excellent way for beginners to learn to call and communicate.

Let me be perfectly clear, if I get in range of a flock of turkeys in the Fall, I’m gonna scatter ‘em by shooting the fattest one I see. I’ve heard of guys doing what 10Glocks mentioned, not shooting one, but I ain’t that much of a sport.

Shame on me, and pass the gravy…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.