-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to enjoy fall hunting. I won't buy a fall firearms tag, and I get two archery turkey tags with my archery deer permits, but I won't shoot a turkey even if I get a chance. Our population is so low now that I would feel guilty shooting a turkey. Especially so a hen.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I guess I never really understood the allure of finding a flock, not shooting one, breaking the flock up, then calling them back in, and then shooting one. I guess that has appeal if you just want to fall call. Hell, I've had flocks forage nearly up to my deer stand apparently unconcerned I was there. I've stood up or made a noise with my feet, scared them off a ways, only to have them work their way back to the same location 20 or 30 minutes later. Like they don't even remember I was there. I just don't see fall turkey hunting as hard as spring hunting. And taking a bird from a flock that forages up to your stand is certainly no less ethical than setting up a deer stand on a deer trail and waiting for a buck to head from where he's bedded to a field. One method is not more "ambushing" than the other.
Fall calling a bird up is an excellent way for beginners to learn to call and communicate.

Let me be perfectly clear, if I get in range of a flock of turkeys in the Fall, I’m gonna scatter ‘em by shooting the fattest one I see. I’ve heard of guys doing what 10Glocks mentioned, not shooting one, but I ain’t that much of a sport.

Shame on me, and pass the gravy…..

Yea we all know you eAt a lot of turkey grAvy.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Just when I start to think you MIGHT have a tiny bit of usefulness in this forum, Luther, you go and prove me wrong. grin grin

You have nothing to offer but bull chit proven time and time again.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
.......i met him a few years after his house burnt to the ground and story goes he lost everything he had.....when I met him a few years later he had about 60 to 80 beards on the wall in his new house.

You don't suppose that fellow was shooting more turkeys than what the law allowed for, do you ??

I know for a fact he wasn't.....I'm guessing the fire department rescued the beArds and spurs.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
I've done it a few times. I've had good success. But, I've only ever pulled the trigger twice

That's sure iZ a lOt of success Denise....in 12 years my dog sat in on about 200 fall kills without the use of a sack or a the use of a blind.

Not sure I'm prouder of.......you or your dog. Which of you is it that doesn't have a sack ??

Now.............ask me how many times I've called gobblers or gobbler flocks into gun range in the fall and NOT pulled the trigger because it's a waste of a regal spring opponent. Called in a flock of 13 longbeards last fall and killed a nice double bearded tom. Then I was pizzed off at myself for weeks for having done it.

No. DON'T ask me. Because I don't feel the need to justify anything to you. I do know that the total number of fall turkeys I've killed is less than 200. But I have no idea WHAT the number is. I'm not a turkey counter. Turkey counters are the guys who have to have a number to toss out during a dick swinging contest in an attempt to legitimize their woods cred. Believe it or not.......no matter WHO you are.......I'll know in the first 2 minutes of talking turkey hunting what someone's skill level is. I don't need told. Quickest way for someone to lose my respect in a turkey hunting discussion (if I ever had any in the first place) is for someone to toss their kill numbers at me. That's where they get an "Oh........that's nice" and I'm done.

Is that a promise Denise ?

Facrt s Denise skill level is acquired in the woods not behind a key boArd.

Just tell us who in "the turkey hunting and choke tube industry" in their right mindz would "pAy you for over twO decades "?

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Here we go again, different thread, same....

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm sorry Dean, I erased my post, but it gets tiring. LFC uses the CampFire to harass and bother legitimate users. LFC has been banned from just about every other forum he's been on for this same behavior. He's found a place that is essentially unmoderated and he can get away with his abusive behavior. You can't ignore the guy, his posts show when they are quoted or when you aren't logged in. And he has show ZERO sign of letting people post in peace without destroying threads.

So Dean, you take as you find it. The turkey forum on 24HrCampfire is haunted by LFC. Like the optics section and a few others is haunted by Big Stick. That's the way it is. Rick doesn't seem to have an intention to get rid of the thread destroying ass-clowns on this site. It's just the way it is.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No apology necessary, but thank you. And I'm not saying I disagree with you, not saying that at all. I'll admit, that at times, I'm drawn to these threads like a moth to a flame! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just an FYI..........

The Old Gobbler Forums are certified LFC-free. There's moderation over there and he was removed on several counts of being an azzhole (go figger).

If you're not already a member over there, you may wanna go check it out.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I guess I never really understood the allure of finding a flock, not shooting one, breaking the flock up, then calling them back in, and then shooting one. I guess that has appeal if you just want to fall call. Hell, I've had flocks forage nearly up to my deer stand apparently unconcerned I was there. I've stood up or made a noise with my feet, scared them off a ways, only to have them work their way back to the same location 20 or 30 minutes later. Like they don't even remember I was there. I just don't see fall turkey hunting as hard as spring hunting. And taking a bird from a flock that forages up to your stand is certainly no less ethical than setting up a deer stand on a deer trail and waiting for a buck to head from where he's bedded to a field. One method is not more "ambushing" than the other.
Fall calling a bird up is an excellent way for beginners to learn to call and communicate.

Let me be perfectly clear, if I get in range of a flock of turkeys in the Fall, I’m gonna scatter ‘em by shooting the fattest one I see. I’ve heard of guys doing what 10Glocks mentioned, not shooting one, but I ain’t that much of a sport.

Shame on me, and pass the gravy…..

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
A turkey should never be an opertunist target.

My tag. will hunt them however I choose.

Originally Posted by LFC
Any time someone tells you how easy it is to kill turkeys in the fall its evident they dont know chit from shinola....

Years back I've taken people fall hunting with my turkey dog Buster the Brown Bomber and when I was sure we had flushed a flock of Gobblers I remarked that when I get them talking you are going to hear turkey talk like you have never heard in your life.....

You need a dog to hunt turkeys??????
Originally Posted by LFC
I kept up with it because I was proud of my dog....I stopped counting at close to 200.

I've let a few longbeards walk in the spring so I could keep hunting none in the fall with the exception of the winter season at Ft. Campbell....bearded birds were off limits in their winter season.

A dog, really? Is that a thing?

Originally Posted by LFC
Buster and I ran into a December flock of close to 60 gobblers in Cheatam county Tn. on more than one occasion......gobbling, strutting, fighting turkeys gone wild.

By Nov 1, there will be 300 turkeys on our place give or take. 60? big deal.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've killed turkeys with every kind of gun imaginable. I don't do it for anyone but me. I have never used a dog and never will. Most of these guns are worth more than the purebreds that bird guys pay for their top bred hounds.

To each his own...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
More...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DANG, but I love them Merriam's !!!!!

Beautiful birds !!!! And that smoke phase is a real trophy.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel always has good stuff.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A Turkey dog wouldn't do you any good in the open terrain....it's a Southern thing.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What, do you think there's no trees or brush in Montana? laugh Maybe he just doesn't need a dog to successfully hunt turkeys.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You know nothing about nothing.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
You know nothing about nothing.

You're right. On the contrary, you know nothing about anything.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You don’t “need” a dog to hunt quail, ducks/geese, etc. but some people enjoy watching a dog you’ve trained work more than the other parts of the hunt. I’m one of those people just like Frank is and others like Marlin Watkins who is also an avid fall turkey dog hunter. Having said that I’ve never deer hunted with a dog and likely never will. I’ve never shot a turkey with a rifle, maybe some day I will. Like Shrapnel said, to each his own. To me hunting fall turkeys with a dog just adds to the experience.

10Glocks are familiar with John Byrne who lived up your way and was known for breeding a line of Appalachian turkey dogs? I’m not trying to pick on you just asking since that’s someone who was generally in your back yard. As far as I know Marlin and Pete Clare at Turkey Trot Acres in NY still hunt with dogs from the Byrne lineage.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

260 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,554
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.