-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The name rings a bell, but only that. We have a lot of sporting dog breeders in eastern Va. People use dogs to hunt everything, here. Hound hunting for deer is a tradition in eastern Va. Lots of hound breeders and trainers here, along with waterfowl and upland bird dog breeders.

I don't have a problem using a dog to hunt turkeys. None whatsoever. To each his own. I do sometimes hate the deer hound hunters who run their dogs across public and private property, and who shoot whatever their dogs chase out of the woods, whether its a buck or an illegal doe, fawn, fox or whatever.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TD5427
Im one of those people just like Frank is and others like Marlin Watkins..........

With all due repect, sir, please don't put those two names in the same sentence. They are two individuals that could not be further apart in human qualities.

Marlin Watkins is one of the kindest, most sincerely decent individuals one could ever meet. His name should NEVER be defiled by using it in the same sentence as..........you know..........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And then they're are scum bags like Donnie....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TD5427
You don’t “need” a dog to hunt quail, ducks/geese, etc. but some people enjoy watching a dog you’ve trained work more than the other parts of the hunt. I’m one of those people just like Frank is and others like Marlin Watkins who is also an avid fall turkey dog hunter. Having said that I’ve never deer hunted with a dog and likely never will. I’ve never shot a turkey with a rifle, maybe some day I will. Like Shrapnel said, to each his own. To me hunting fall turkeys with a dog just adds to the experience.

10Glocks are familiar with John Byrne who lived up your way and was known for breeding a line of Appalachian turkey dogs? I’m not trying to pick on you just asking since that’s someone who was generally in your back yard. As far as I know Marlin and Pete Clare at Turkey Trot Acres in NY still hunt with dogs from the Byrne lineage.

Only thing GlockheAd is familiar with is showing the world how stupid he is.....he has no business commenting about turkey hunting.

By his own admission the only turkeys he's ever shot he shot while he was deer hunting in the fall.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
It was not my intent nor do I believe I defiled either man’s name by mentioning Frank and Marlin in the same sentence. My point is hunting with a turkey dog has a legacy and tradition enjoyed by contemporary hunters and those are two well recognized names that come to mind. For what it’s worth I’ve hunted and dealt with both men over the years. Both have treated me well so I’ve only got good things to say about both.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
By his own admission the only turkeys he's ever shot he shot while he was deer hunting in the fall.

I NEVER said the only turkeys I shot were in the fall while deer hunting, you dolt. I said I shot more turkeys in the fall while deer hunting than in the spring. Yet another lie on your part. You are just dishonest to the core, aren't you, CFL?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Post your hunting video....anyone thar watches it will know you are nuttz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone knows you're nuts. And full of [bleep].

Tell us, was it true what was written on Old Gobbler? That you were on disability but still selling your calls and asking people to send the payments to your wife? Why would people who bought your calls say you asked them to make their checks payable to your wife?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You want another chance with me....then tell me who is feeding you the lies about me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is it that I wrote that suggest to you "I want another chance with you?" God, you're screwed up.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's the bipolar side of you that suggests it....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
You really don't understand the hate and jealousy in the turkey call making world.

Bing fuggin' go. Saved for posterity. Hate and jealousy. No one has treated you the way you've treated them. And now we know why. Thanks for admitting it. May be the first time you've been honest since you've been on this site. You are driven by hate and jealousy.

Now that you admitted it, that's the first step to getting over it.

Thanks.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Who am I jealous of ?

You sure screwed up this thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
You really don't understand the hate and jealousy in the turkey call making world.

Explains everything.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I've killed turkeys with every kind of weapon imaginable. I don't do it for anyone but me. I have never used a dog and never will.

To each his own...

Here is my line of thinking, with some changes, but I am a little more pedestrian with my weapons.

Would someone please explain the dog method of turkey hunting. Had never heard of it.

The Black Hills are pretty thick terrain. The prairie not so much.

BTW Grew up shooting lots or pheasants, ducks, geese, and grouse without a dog. Allergic to dogs, so have not owned one. Have hunted with a few, but am more a big game guy myself.

I have a friend that brings his dog turkey hunting with us every spring, but just to come along. Does not actively "hunt" the
turkeys.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Would someone please explain the dog method of turkey hunting. Had never heard of it.

The short course on it is that it's much like hunting with any other flushing dog.......say, for pheasant..........except it's for turkeys. The dogs generally quarter fast and fairly far out. Most bark during the flush. And rather than shooting off the flush........which can occur totally out of sight of the hunter........the dog returns to the hunter and lays totally still and quiet beside him (maybe backed into a camo sack with just his head sticking out or maybe just low on the ground) as the calling starts. A lot of turkey dogs will locate downed birds and some, even retrieve.

The dogs can be about anything if you train them right. But the Appalachian Turkey Dog (somebody previously mentioned the late John Byrne of Virginia) is a specially bred line.......a mix of a Plott hound, setter and pointer.

I'm no authority on it. But I know some.

LFC could probably fill in the blanks I missed.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[/quote]

The Black Hills are pretty thick terrain. The prairie not so much.
[/quote]

If you grew up hunting pheasants and grouse without a dog then you know how much walking and blindly kicking the bushes is involved in hopes of getting the occasional bird to flush. Searching for a roaming flock of turkeys in the woods can be just as challenging but using a dogs nose and ability to cover ground greatly improves your chances to state the obvious. A dogs speed and barking also improve the chances of scattering the flock in as many directions as possible. The birds from a scattered flock are typically very vocal and eager to reassemble which makes it easier to call them back to the area from which they were flushed. A person trying to flush a flock of turkeys more often than not only succeeds in pushing the flock in one direction away from the approaching hunter where they quickly reassemble and the odds of calling either larger groups or the entire flock back toward you is much slimmer than a lone “lost” bird. In the thick Black Hills terrain you mentioned, a dog would work well. In the open prairie not so much if the turkeys can see the dog approaching from a distance since they’re going to all take off together in the opposite direction like I mentioned above.

If you have a dog that likes to range quite a distance or you hunt in areas where your line of sight is limited it helps to have a GPS tracking collar on the dog. When you hear the dog barking on the flush you can mark the spot to know where you need to go set up and call.

That’s the basic gist of it along with what Yoder said. LFC definitely has far more knowledge and experience on this topic than I do so I welcome any corrections he may have if if I misspoke about anything.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the Hills I hunt known turkey areas and call as I go. Not spring time hen yelping, but flock turkey talk. Have been successful getting turkeys to respond. Then the hunt is on!

Sometimes the flock is already heading my direction. Then it is fairly easy to get them to come check me out.

Sometimes I have to make adjustments to get in proper position. Sometimes it is simply a stalk/sneak that ends up with an opportunity.

Sometimes a deer would get in the way, and an archery deer hunt would ensue. Sometimes a ruffed grouse would be spotted and added to the pot.

Our fall Black Hills turkey season has really been limited the past few years for a multitude of reasons. Have not had a tag for quite a few years.

So I am limited to our fall prairie season on our property, but would much rather be hunting in the Black Hills.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I used to enjoy fall hunting. I won't buy a fall firearms tag, and I get two archery turkey tags with my archery deer permits, but I won't shoot a turkey even if I get a chance. Our population is so low now that I would feel guilty shooting a turkey. Especially so a hen.
Why won't you shoot a gobbler in the fall but would in the Spring?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 09/18/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A gobbler is in his prime in the spring.....turkeys killed in the fall that are feeding heavily on acorns will have darker stronger tasting meat.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.