-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What everyone else said. Great photos as usual. Your black Lab looks skeptical, the yellow looks downright pissed. They know.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton, our girls work our hearts pretty good & the local squirrel & rabbit populations.

We decided we wanted family dogs & companions, not necessarily hunting dogs.

We did look into training when we got Izzy, but decided against the discipline needed to do it properly.

Both of them point naturally, but won't stay locked up.

You know, they think it's way more fun to chase those birds & critters.

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They know. They knew when you left.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Our girls are taking notes Kamo-san !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great pics, Kamo.

Great Dogs, 99.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Leighton, our girls work our hearts pretty good & the local squirrel & rabbit populations.

We decided we wanted family dogs & companions, not necessarily hunting dogs.

We did look into training when we got Izzy, but decided against the discipline needed to do it properly.

Both of them point naturally, but won't stay locked up.

You know, they think it's way more fun to chase those birds & critters.

grin

I trained all my pointers, or should I say took them hunting. They all gradually got the idea that if they flushed the delicious smell went away and they just started pointing longer and longer as I walked in to them from the rear and side so they could see me coming as I firmly voiced Whoa. If the bids flushed, I shot.

The dogs learned the game. If they didn't bust them they would get to go retrieve one.

It Eventually got to the point I could get to the dog and gently try to push it forward from the rear and they became staunch on point, quivering all the while from acting as if fearing the bird would fly away if they got too close but wanting to be close enough to be hypnotized by their smell.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/13/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Jag, we'll take them for a walk on the property next weekend, as grouse opens on Thursday, here.

Deb will tote her 20ga & I'll try to look after the dogs.

I do have half a dozen grouse wings in the freezer.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck, but most of all have a GREAT time.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know it ain’t officially “fall” yet but you can practically smell the turn of the seasons in those photos.

Goldenrod? migrating Monarchs? Dead giveaway

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

And a couple of quick vids. Abe's a good boy!

Very nice pix and vids, Leighton! I think about your apology of the "crappy cell phone pics", and I recall the quality of the photos we got from the top-of-the-line digital cameras we were using in 1999-2000, and I think your apology is entirely unnecessary.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like fun; thanks for a great post.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
What everyone else said. Great photos as usual. Your black Lab looks skeptical, the yellow looks downright pissed. They know.

Thanks 43S, and of course they do. They hear a soft gun case get unzipped from the other side of the house and before I can stuff a shotgun in it, there are a pair of tails thumping away behind me with copious jumping and whining. I hate leaving them behind, but they get 4-6 walks a day in local woods, beaches and in fields year round, so they're never cooped up.

It's early goose now, but again, I don't really get excited about chasing birds until it starts cooling off considerably. Once the colors change (soon), the leaves are dropping and even better, later in the season when the snow starts flying, that's when it's game time in this bird hunter's heart and in our girls' hearts as well. These two would rather come hunt with me than eat, and for those who know labs know that's saying something!

Jag, I like your 'intoxicating' smells comment. I have a serious need to hunt more wild quail and a bunch of other species of grouse. I love hunting just about everything big and small, but if the world was coming to an end, I'd be out there chasing birds with Mrs. KG and the girls before the curtain fell.

N299s, I hear you loud and clear. Above all else, our girls are dear, beloved parts of our little family and we love on them hard. To the point of spoiling then rotten, truth be told. Even if they had no desire to hunt they'd still be incredibly loved, but the fact that they so love to hunt and are pretty good at it is a big bonus. Starting out green and silly, I used to literally swim after downed waterfowl, including in 30F water in the dead of winter, something I don't feel I have to do anymore. But they do and still sure do enjoy it greatly, so win-win!

Doc, good to 'hear' from you. I hear you, and you're right about quality of then vs. now, but when I see images out of focus or otherwise not what I was going for --such as the monarch pic-- the wee photobug in me gets a little pissed.

Thanks for chiming in folks, and for the other hunters of all stripes here, best of luck out there this season for whatever you're after. Hopefully we get a proper New England fall and winter, with some nice storms and cold to push the birds from up north down. I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty good one. But then, I always say that... wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.