Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a Pre-64 M70. 264 Win Mag close to 20 years ago and have maybe shot it 20 times. I got it sighted in and never hunted with it. It's been in the back of my safe for years and I just don't have a use for it and have been thinking about selling it. The rifle is in excellent condition. What would be an asking price for this rifle?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have you run a bore scope through it? Got any pictures?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Check GunBroker for an idea

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it a Featherweight (22" bbl) or a standard weight (26" bbl)?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
It has a 26" barrel. I tried to post pics but the file is too large.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WinModel70
Try postimage; will resize for you.

https://postimages.org/

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A pity about the pictures as... not! There are simple programs under category of "reduce photo file size" Web search. I'd only go with Microsoft guidance for programs and be sure to elect "create copy" and save full pix file for future use.

Subjective thoughts centered on following factors. Regular or Stainless barrel. Stainless barrel typically evident by cruddy exterior appearance. Otherwise "Winchester Proof Steel" barrel marking. Barrel burnout on these rifle is notorious! The fact that the .264 Winchester was "good but not great", in popularity compared to Remington 7mm Mag chambering. Not to get too deep into 'techie' discussions, rather just the fact of cartridges expensive and in "varmint" context, less expensive rounds aplenty! In heavier game context, the 7mm Remington mag a better round for bullet selection as well as considerably better such in ammo availability/prices generally. The .264 came with recoil pad so its condition/or of f replacement and latter instance, as factory-style replacement material!

For rebuilding such a rifle reflecting very popular "short magnum" action. For collecting, really need to have pix for any realistic eval. The fact you're here seeking eval, suggestion of not happy with your own "hands on" estimate. Too many variables re condition & originality as 'dark matter', pending 'let there be light'!

These were quite nice rifles intro'd near the end of the "pre '64 Winchester" era. Recollection in 'about' 1960 with absolute irony of Remginton 7 Mag intro bit later. Your SN should clearly be within whatever limited era.

I have several of these rifles in .264 and bought each on the cheap with fair to good bores. My objective opinion, they are an "also ran" chambering.

Just my take!
Best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Imgur works better..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

That is the kind of info that should be in the OP. As well as DOM and originality. First 3 digits of serial # with XXXX. These threads are mostly the same. "How much is my Winchester model 70 30-06 worth"..... Then on and on with the unnecessary questions.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by southtexas

That is the kind of info that should be in the OP. As well as DOM and originality. First 3 digits of serial # with XXXX. These threads are mostly the same. "How much is my Winchester model 70 30-06 worth"..... Then on and on with the unnecessary questions.

And yet you continue replying.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Imgur works better..

I find postimage faster and easier.

They all work.
Use what you wish.
They are both better than noimage.com

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
$1200-$1700, depending on actual condition, without a scope.

Most were only made in the years Winchester struggled with quality (late ‘59-‘63.)

To unleash the real value of a 6.5 using high BC bullets, it needs a faster twist. These were made with the mindset of “no replacement for displacement”, resulting in an overbore cartridge - which then earned it the reputation as a barrel burner.

Although rarer, the FWT really suffered with respect to muzzle velocity decrease with the shorter barrel.

Last edited by Stammster; 09/27/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They were 1-9 twists so they’ll handle quite a decent bullet. If it’s in good to great condition it’s worth some decent money. Let us know if you need help with pictures. I’d be glad to you if you need it. The Westerner is a helluva good rifle and likely still has a lot of life in it. Most of us don't shoot enough to wear out our BG RIFLES very often.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Imgur works better..

They all work.
Use what you wish.

Sometimes I click on a postimage picture you guys post here and it says I need an account. Do you get that with my Imgur pictures? Just out of curiosity. Also someone mentions the 22" barrel losing a lot of speed vs the standard rifles. I'd imagine you will lose about 100 fps when you compare the 2. Personally, I like the fwt better. You guys can keep the std rifles. Last fall I saw a very nice fwt for $1,750.00 and it had a $400 Leupold on top. Also just for those interested, I've been seeing more and more pre 64 264's out there as well. Its harder to find a nice FWT than it is a standard rifle. I prefer the lighter weight and quicker handling characteristics of the fwt rifle as well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Imgur works better..

They all work.
Use what you wish.

Sometimes I click on a postimage picture you guys post here and it says I need an account. Do you get that with my Imgur pictures? Just out of curiosity. Also someone mentions the 22" barrel losing a lot of speed vs the standard rifles. I'd imagine you will lose about 100 fps when you compare the 2. Personally, I like the fwt better. You guys can keep the std rifles. Last fall I saw a very nice fwt for $1,750.00 and it had a $400 Leupold on top. Also just for those interested, I've been seeing more and more pre 64 264's out there as well. Its harder to find a nice FWT than it is a standard rifle. I prefer the lighter weight and quicker handling characteristics of the fwt rifle as well.

Myself, I don't mind a longer barrel on a 264. Mines a 26" barrel, but I'd be fine with a 24" as well, 22, well, I am not sure I'd like that as much since it is using fairly sizable charges of Retumbo and by the time you lop 4" off the 270 is really about the same thing with our powders we use today.

Grab up one of them Fwt's BSA, run it and let us know how you like it. I am sure it'll be plenty accurate and I know it'd still hunt well.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A 264 win mag with a 22" barrel would have an impressive fireball when fired near dusk! It would certainly be loud too!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I bought a Pre-64 M70. 264 Win Mag close to 20 years ago and have maybe shot it 20 times. I got it sighted in and never hunted with it. It's been in the back of my safe for years and I just don't have a use for it and have been thinking about selling it. The rifle is in excellent condition. What would be an asking price for this rifle?

Congrtulations, that's remarkable foresight! Wish I'd started conditioning myself to 'one shot per year'. Nowadays, I might even be able to balance my ammo budget for one of these Babies!
smile smile smile
Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.