Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally, after several years the Dr says I can do away with Warfarin every day and go to a 81mg/day aspirin regiment. This after having a 'trauma' provoked DVT several years ago. Dr also recommended compression socks. He said several of his patience were using, and he recommended the Copper Fit Compression socks.

For those that were them - compression socks - any recommendations as far as brand names, or are the 'generic' brands just as effective? Had given some thought to the Copper Fit Compression Sock, like the Dr suggested, but I see that there are also a myriad of knock-off, copper infused compression socks. What say ye . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The generic brands work fine for me, good for those 12 -14 hour plane flights.....Not sure how much the Copper fit cost, but am sure they are double what the generics cost.....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What was the "trauma' provoked DVT" from?

I used my shin to catch a falling/sliding 1"X16"X72" green slab of white oak a couple of years back[was heading for a french door-glass].
It scrubbed everything down about 4" leaving an indent then swollen looking section.
Showed it to my old country Doc last month and he was ehh about it.
have noticed that foot swells some when wearing T-shoes/low socks and doesn't when I wear tight calf high socks.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll know it.

Wife sprained her ankle descending the trail from Dead River falls. No medical attention needed. Four days later basically walking normal like nothing happened. 12 hour car ride back to Michigan with 2 stops and we get home and foot starts really hurting. Progressively worse over the next two weeks. 3 doctor visits later an ultrasound showed a DVT at the injury site. Didn't even know that was a thing until researching it.

Inflammation at the injury coupled with sitting so long was the culprit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They're great for curing varicose eczema too. A very high percentage of dry itchy flakey skin around ankles is varicose eczema and no amount of salves or creams will heal it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/182793

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford

Several years ago I was moving a piece of heavy machinery (Michigan 4-wheel loader). Climb in, moved it. Climbed out of it - last step was about 3ft off the ground off the ground - and jumped down. When I jumped down I twisted my knee (actually sprained the MCL) To add insult to injury, I had to move the same loader back a few minutes later. Basically a rinse and repeat of the previous exit from the loader - twisted the same knee, twice in less than 30 min. - slow learner . . . laugh A few days later my right knee and calf were so swollen, I could hardly walk on it. Ultrasound showed a DVT that ran from just above may ankle to halfway up the back of my thigh. To this day, my right calf is almost twice the size of my left, but no recurring DVT - I get it scanned about every 6 months.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ
The generic brands work fine for me, good for those 12 -14 hour plane flights.....Not sure how much the Copper fit cost, but am sure they are double what the generics cost.....

They are, hence my original question.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up some a few years back from REI to wear on long flights over sea's.

They work great.

I also picked up some from other locations and different thicknesses so they work well in colder weather.

I have started to wear them while driving distances over 200 miles and they work wonderful.

Different brands are sold at various stores and they all appear to work the same.

my suggestion is to go with the long version that go almost to your knee.

Also, when wearing them make sure you do not leave any wrinkles in the socks.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Copper Fit are thin junk. There are much better out there, none of it real cheap. You kind of have to get fitted ones for your calf size to be effective. Actually measured in mmHg. A quick check of Amazon has 3 pair for $13. They work.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Copper Fit are thin junk. There are much better out there, none of it real cheap. You kind of have to get fitted ones for your calf size to be effective. Actually measured in mmHg. A quick check of Amazon has 3 pair for $13. They work.

Got these on a wish list @ Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG2MXKR/?ref_=cm_wl_huc_item&th=1

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford

I used my shin to catch a falling/sliding 1"X16"X72" green slab of white oak a couple of years back[was heading for a french door-glass].
It scrubbed everything down about 4" leaving an indent then swollen looking section.
Showed it to my old country Doc last month and he was ehh about it.
have noticed that foot swells some when wearing T-shoes/low socks and doesn't when I wear tight calf high socks.

Cool birthday present

The beetus and a pair o’ socks

lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Finally, after several years the Dr says I can do away with Warfarin every day and go to a 81mg/day aspirin regiment. This after having a 'trauma' provoked DVT several years ago. Dr also recommended compression socks. He said several of his patience were using, and he recommended the Copper Fit Compression socks.

For those that were them - compression socks - any recommendations as far as brand names, or are the 'generic' brands just as effective? Had given some thought to the Copper Fit Compression Sock, like the Dr suggested, but I see that there are also a myriad of knock-off, copper infused compression socks. What say ye . . .

Don't really know what this all means but I infer it means your health is getting better? If so - good deal.

Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Don't really know what this all means but I infer it means your health is getting better? If so - good deal.

It does, and yes it is!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a fan of the copper fit either.

Couple of basic principles: they all are similar in materials, and they do NOT respond well to the clothes dryer. Line dry, only.

They are rated by mmHg pressure. The better ones have graduated pressure, with more pressure higher up on the calf. I wear 20-30, which is a mid grade. Pray you don't have to go to the tight compression grade, they are pretty tight.

I've tried several different kinds of the more inexpensive ones, and this is the one I've settled on. I wear them every day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024EFZK/

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ames Walker are ok. Sockwell are good but expensive and more so thanks to Biden.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could you guys tell me the advantage of wearing compression socks?

Guess I'm out of the loop..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

For the general population, it keeps your legs and feet from swelling (edema type swelling). For those of us with DVT's, it does the same, with the benefit of reducing the chance of blood pooling and creating clots. Lots of people like nurses who are on their feet all day report not having "tired legs" with compressions socks.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

For the general population, it keeps your legs and feet from swelling (edema type swelling). For those of us with DVT's, it does the same, with the benefit of reducing the chance of blood pooling and creating clots. Lots of people like nurses who are on their feet all day report not having "tired legs" with compressions socks.

Thank you!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
Not a fan of the copper fit either.

Couple of basic principles: they all are similar in materials, and they do NOT respond well to the clothes dryer. Line dry, only.

They are rated by mmHg pressure. The better ones have graduated pressure, with more pressure higher up on the calf. I wear 20-30, which is a mid grade. Pray you don't have to go to the tight compression grade, they are pretty tight.

I've tried several different kinds of the more inexpensive ones, and this is the one I've settled on. I wear them every day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024EFZK/

^^^^This^^^ I get them from Costco or on Amazon… none of them cost much, really… I only use them if I’m going to be sitting/driving a lot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 20mm knee-highs are routinely necessary for me after a big hematoma on my shin (cows can kick REALLY hard) and subsequent pulmonary emboli. I am on Coumadin/Warfarin orally and have to monitor my clotting factor (INR) regularly, so I have a major interest in the health of my legs, which means I buy the name-brand (Allegro) copper-soled socks that fit very close to the knee . They are about $17 per pair, although I get a buy-three, get-one-free deal online from <brightlifedirect.com> about twice a year. They haven't lost their elasticity in spite of many trips through the home washing machine, then air-dried.

I imagine that generic compression stockings might do OK, just didn't bother. It might save a few bucks.

My late mother-in-law got DVT in one calf following a hip replacement. It was before I became aware of the benefits of compression stockings for anything other than diabetes or lymphedema, but we can learn from the experience of others.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.