Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Can somebody post a video of themselves getting stung while running away swatting and yelping, it would help this thread go over the top.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several years ago I was walking in the woods in N Wisconsin to check a deer stand with my Lab. He thinks he finds a large ball in the grass so he attempts to bring it to me but no it was a mud dauber Hornet nest which proceeds to attack him. I see him jumping up in the air and rolling to stop them, not knowing what he got into I call him and see the swarm of hornets on and chasing him. I take off running and the swarms comes after me fortunately I had a wool shirt jacket on and pulled it over my head. Those buggers chased us for 200 yards. I was stung 8 times and my lab maybe 15 or so, we both took some benedril. The next morning was cool to I made a torch (rag soaked in Gas) and returned the favor. I have also shot nests out of trees with my 12g, it works but they get pretty nasty if it isn't cool out

Last edited by raamw; 09/12/22.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Saw the rear tire run over it was in bail out position after I saw the swarm been diverting around it paper nest on the ground I’ve had 50/50 success with night time napalm runs on yellow jackets how would you proceed?

That could be sketchy. Does it seem to have a single entrance/exit hole? If so, the foaming spray stuff should be fine. If there are multiple entrances / exits, it could get sketchy. I haven't run into one of THEIR nests in or on the ground, "just" yellowjackets. I don't usually find the hornets to be quite as aggressive until riled but their sting is a lot worse and it doesn't seem to take a whole lot to rile 'em up.

Foaming spray is probably the safe / sane way to go, but there could be other options? smile

1) Tannerite.

2) Dispose of excess 2Fg and cannon fuse?

3) If there's no fire risk, soak an old towel in gas / diesel / kerosene, toss it over the nest, and light it.

4) If there is a fire risk, do almost the same, but after dropping the towel over the nest, put a 5 gallon bucket over that.

5) Maybe fipronyl (??) mixed into some raw meat placed near the hole.

Watch out for secondary / "back door" entrance / exits. I fought a yellowjacket ground nest one year that I couldn't seem to kill. Turns out there was a second hole 15 feet away .. connected. I didn't figure it out 'til a skunk dug out both holes. Lucky I didn't get stung. I hit 4 ground nests in that same 6 acre hay field mowing that year.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a nest of Yellow Jackets in a wood retaining wall I just couldn't
kill. Guess they were back in there, off to the side or something.

Finally soaked a rag with gas and put hi on a piece of all thread.
Shoved that against the hole and propped it there with firewood.

2 days later I moved it, haven't seen yellow jackets there since.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had fairly good results with a push mower sitting over a YJ nest last year.
Didn't want to gas it being dead center in our little front yard.
Right at dark-thirty I fired the mower up, tied the kill handle on and let is sit over the nest for about 20 minutes.
I believe the few that survived decided to go elsewhere and start over.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
While reroofing a house, I found that a foam cannon like this (https://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Chemical-Guys-Big-Mouth-Foam-Cannon08.jpg) filled with Dawn dish soap and attached to a 4 GPM / 4k PSI pressure is the perfect weapon for the little buggers. Unlimited cheap ammo supply, sprays a cone of fire 8 feet wide 30 feet out and the dish soap clogs their pores so they drop out of the air instantly like hit by lightning. Great practice for pigeon shoots!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe the dish soap allows the water to wet their breathing pores.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you can identify the entry hole to a ground nesting wasp nest the rest is easy. Mark the hole. After black dark head out with a funnel and a cup or so of gas. Stick the funnel in the hole and dump the gas in as a chaser. Done. Experience not conjecture.

Last edited by shootem; 09/12/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Awhile back I watched a youtube video of a guy using a drone to destroy a hornets nest with the blades of the drone. Kind of creepy how many hornets came out of that nest.......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 673
Can somebody post a video of themselves getting stung while running away swatting and yelping, it would help this thread go over the top.
Your from Canada's you must have a lumber jack video

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I ran into a small hornets nest about the size of a grapefruit and 6 feet off the ground. They
were small (3/4" or less) and solid black. Never seen these before. Mean buggers and one
nailed me on the ear and it took a week for swelling and pain to go away.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I became a little more tolerant of black hornets when I watched them hunting mosquitoes. They would fly slowly, just above the grass take and grab the mosquitoes as they flew up from the grass. Another interesting interaction was seeing a robber fly take a yellowjacket out of the air. GD

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
are we talking ground hornets are above ground nesting? when I was a kid we ran over a ground nest bailing hay. it was with a doors and windows open tractor. We got attacked and had to bail out of the tractor leaving it running at full throttle with the hay swather running as well. my dad got a leather jacket, gloves, 3 pairs of pants and rescued the tractor. We had to come back with the sealed cab tractor, ran the front tire over the ground nest back and forth, then soaked it with diesel.

for hard to reach hornet nests in trees etc. we used 12 gauge 8 shot and blasted them out of the trees.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 09/13/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hornets…big nest in a tree (usually) basketball size. Enclosed structure of gray looking newspaper type material

Yellow jackets….hole in the ground

Wasps….little clump of open paper comb, size of palm of hand- some bigger- some smaller

I’m not aware of what imaginary insect universe some of yall live in.

Bumble bees…different entity off topic

Carpenter bees…different entity off topic

Big giant yellow mfkers that fly at night and bounce off if your porch light…different entity

Honey bees…different entity

Cicada killers…different entity

Sweat bees…different entity

JFC…log off NATIONALFILE and ConservativeTreehouse.com
pick up a dayum book and go outside

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fipronil for yellowjackets is amazing.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We buy bee killer by the case here at work. There's a lot of pallets of flagstone and fieldstone out there. Most of this stuff is constantly getting moved, but if they hang around too long without getting moved or sold, the bees will make it their home.

I thought bee killer won't work on wasp\hornets nor vice versa?

Had bees in large numbers at my old lease. You would hear a swarm hum past you on breezy days. Had a tree I called the humming tree where I guess they made a home in a knotted out hole. Stayed clear of it.

The wasps would find refuge by the hundreds in the folds of your camper trailer awning poles in cold weather. Would tumble out in a baseball sized ball when extending the arms. You could kill so many the ground would stink in the morning.

Never seen a hornets nest- those pics give me the willies.

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/13/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hornets…big nest in a tree (usually) basketball size. Enclosed structure of gray looking newspaper type material

Yellow jackets….hole in the ground

Wasps….little clump of open paper comb, size of palm of hand- some bigger- some smaller

I’m not aware of what imaginary insect universe some of yall live in.

The European Hornet is the only true hornet in North America. The bald-faced hornet, yellow jacket, and paper wasp are all wasps.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Busch can is for size reference only don’t know where it came from [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
For the bee expert to figure out I already know what it is [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I saw some coming out yesterday, got to get them

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.