Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think your idea of selling it at a 10% discount is hugely optimistic. At 4 months you’ve burned up a significant part of the factory warranty, and no one will implicitly trust that you maintained it properly, nor didn’t abuse it during break-in… I personally would not buy a machine from someone in your circumstances for just a 10% discount.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I agree, but that market is all over the map.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LoadClear
I think your idea of selling it at a 10% discount is hugely optimistic. At 4 months you’ve burned up a significant part of the factory warranty, and no one will implicitly trust that you maintained it properly, nor didn’t abuse it during break-in… I personally would not buy a machine from someone in your circumstances for just a 10% discount.

I'd go with this as well.

You'd get the 90% if it's hard to get an ATV and they're backordered forever and a day. That's been the market mostly recently. The problem is, that doesn't help the OP who wants to just pick one up for this winter - where's he going to get the super hard to get quad? Might get lucky - I don't count on being lucky in life.

Even on a 7k quad, I'd pay the extra 700 and get new/factory/warranty and be done - if I can. If I can't - it's unlikely that I'm going to find a used one, low miles/used 4 months total for sale anyway.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been hunting on and off 4 wheelers for almost 30 years and given my choice of suspension, it would be the IRS and it would also have power steering. The only disadvantage to having IRS are the rear axles, more stuff that can break but that still wouldn't stop me from buying a wheeler with IRS.

Just ordered a 2023 Yamaha Wolverine X2 XT-R yesterday, estimated date for arrival here is sometime in March but that date is tentative.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know little about ATV's except the ones I have available. I can turn a key, shift, and do basic maintainence (oil changes, etc). I have no interest in the esoteric stuff.....power ratios, suspensions, after-market "upgrades" , etc. If it works, I'm good! smile

2005 350 Honda Rancher, purchased used in 2011, low milage, had the heck used out of it for 7 years in Kotzebue, and since, on the local beaches, Caribou Hills, and hunting 40-mile caribou. Solid machine, and based on this, I'd go with a Honda, fairly new used, or new any model without hesitation. Mine has no power steering. PS is nice! No winch. Foot shift. Starts well, electric or pull. Mostly....

We are "keeping" a 2012? Kawasaki Brute 600 for a friend up north, and have used it on the 40-mile hunt the last 2 years. This one starts stubbornly electrically, especially after being parked awhile, and has no "park". Not sure if it has power steering or not. Has a winch. I like it the least of the 3. Don't know about later machines or models, but I wouldn't buy one based on current knowledge and preferences. Shift lever.

2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700, purchased used after moose season in 2019 from a 16 year old kid in Homer. It had been used pretty hard as a mudder/moose packer, taken care of, tho, fairly low milage, and is a damned nice machine. Power steering, winch (which came with it as add-on, and has come in handy a few times). I power washed about 50# of mud out of the underneaths after getting it, tho the top-sides were cleaned... My wife won't let me drive it much..... frown. Starts very well, electrically- can't recall ever having to pull start it..

I use it around home to move boat/atv trailers around mostly. Shift lever, with "park".

I'd recommend this, or another similar model Yamaha without hesitation, used if fairly new and taken care of, or new.

You would likely be best off buying a newer, used machine because of depreciation, as mentioned. Alaska List, Craig's List, etc . This is the time of year to get one, too, and spring to sell one.

Can-Ams- what little I know of them, appear to be rock-solid machines, but over-priced.

Last edited by las; 09/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks men, I appreciate the help.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Does POLARIS make a decent ATV or should they be avoided....???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are not a CanAm...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
They are not a CanAm...
I got about six weeks to solve my problem. Soon I will likely have to choose the cleanest dirty shirt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did you get something to get you through the winter?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Did you get something to get you through the winter?

Yes, my two legs, and it was hell with two hips bone on bone. Can't use snowshoes because of the hips. And "ALL" of my food and everything comes from Amazon.com. Which gets left 3/4 mile away, so I backpack or sled it up the mountain.

Not this winter, but last winter I kept telling my medical team (reference that winter), "I don't think I am going to make". That was a huge mistake they thought I was suicidal, they held a
formal "Inquisition" and wanted to put me in an institution. And of course, take the firearms.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used a Can-am to chase cow. Uncle had a yamaha.. The Can-am being a bigger machine did not do as well traction wise on the hills (3" wet snow).
My '06 polaris 6x6 has 5k hard miles on it and still running. Honda rubicon '06 has the great power to ground for towing but solid rear axle and non eps
are a minus.
Like has been said before - good suspension and EPS are a must if you have any age or infirmities.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.