Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Which package (model) would be most sellable next July/August to a hunter....??? By sellable I mean would be desirable for hunters needs, and still at a price point to be purchased.

Here is the packages for OUTLANDER 570

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/shopping-tools/help-me-choose.html?ds_rl=1278056&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20%2F%2F%20Core%7CORV%7CNA%7CUS%7CNOTSET%7CPHD%7CALL%7CHL%7CEN%7CCPHL%7CBing&utm_term=can-am%20atv&utm_content=ATV%7CLOW%7CALL%7CBR%7CEXM&gclid=e072673ce4d817cd7694041dfb88bd63&gclsrc=3p.ds

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
BP-B2

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
OK......No responses. I am not stuck on it having to be a CAN-Am. Maybe members know more about HONDAS. Would appreciate any opinions-information.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might get more traction if you post your inquiry in "Horses & ATV's" under "Gear."

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/15/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another brand ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a pair of Outlander L 570 DPS models (brand new) in 2016, and the packages have changed since then, but the main features are pretty much the same. At the time, the L model was their cheaper/budget model with steel racks, instead of the plastic racks with Linq attachment points. I prefer the steel racks, anyway.

I did get the upgraded DPS models, with alloy wheels and power steering. These were the only two identical machines they had in stock, when I bought mine, so I paid the extra for the DPS models so I could have two machines that were the same. I thought DPS was a gimmick, when I bought them, but I have completely changed my mind since then. I think power steering is a "must have" item, and I would not considering buying a 'wheeler without power steering, moving forward.

All of the Outlander models (DPS and up) have the same main features and drivetrain, so the different packages are just accessories and cosmetics. The important features (4wd, auto front diff lock, hydraulic brakes, etc.) are the same. Personally, I think the Outlander DPS package is offers the most bang-for-the-buck. Use the money saved, over the more expensive models, and invest in aftermarket tires, if you'd like (the factory tires work pretty well, though). All of the other stuff (bumpers, wheels, tires, hand guards, heated grips, winch, skid plates, etc.) can all be added after the fact.

Some people prefer the longer wheelbase of the Max model, even if they don't ride with two people. They remove the 2-up seat for extra cargo room. This might come in handy for a hunting machine. Mine both have the shorter wheel-base, so I couldn't tell you the difference in handling or ride, between the two.

I am happy I went with Can-am, over other brands. I looked at them all, and I think Can-am makes a solid machine at a good price. Both of my machines have been flawless. They have a comfortable ride, and they go through WAY more soggy terrain than I thought they would. The 570 twin is a smooth and powerful engine. I have had no issues with reliability or starting, even in winter weather. I am impressed!

I only have two complaints with the Outlander. One is the seemingly low front end clearance; I seem to hit the front skid plate more often than I would expect. Not a deal breaker, just annoying. The other complaint is a tedious oil change. You need to remove plastic panels to access the oil filter. Thankfully, I don't have to change oil that often.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
IC B2

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
DanInAlaska, Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have developed mobility issues and need a way to get up and down from the cabin this winter. Then sell the machine next summer.
The reason I am not going to get a snowmachine is there is not enough snow some winters.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AGL4now
DanInAlaska, Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have developed mobility issues and need a way to get up and down from the cabin this winter. Then sell the machine next summer.
The reason I am not going to get a snowmachine is there is not enough snow some winters.
Wouldn’t a second hand 4 wheeler be more cost effective for 6 months?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Wouldn’t a second hand 4 wheeler be more cost effective for 6 months?

Maybe, but my apprehension is that most guys would shy away from a used machine for hunting. But I don't really know as I have never hunted with an ATV.

I would likely only put 120 miles on a new machine in 4 months and discounted 10% I think that would be attractive deal to an ATV hunter. I would think the "key" would be to purchase exactly what hunters need in a machine.

The other problem is I don't know anything about buying a used ATV. Clearly, I don't even know anything about buying a new machine.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
4wheeler? Used? Honda direct drive or the Suzuki Vinson manual shift. Reliable units.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have owned a CanAm Outlander 450 CC ATV for years and it works great. I put a 2 inch receiver adapter on mine and use a hitch hauler on it to load deer easier. You need to get a hauler that bends up a bit so you don't drag going up hills. Mine is the basic model and no power steering.

Mine has a front rack I didn't like the ones with the fan up front since I don't plan on going in deep water or mud. Still planning on putting a winch on mine someday, but currently I just carry a large ratchet strap.

Last edited by moreammoplz; 09/17/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't beat Honda when it comes to atv's, I've owned several different models over the years and they are solid performers. If I were to purchase another it would have to have IRS and EPS which limits it to certain models, the Rancher 420 and the Rubicon 500. Yamaha also makes a solid machine as well but they are belt driven like a snow machine but belts last a long time in this machines so I wouldn't be too concerned about belt life. If you're just using the machine to get back and forth from your cabin to the road then the Rancher would probably be your best bet, if you have to haul anything of significant weight then the Rubicon is what you'll need but like I said before, the Yamaha Grizzly/Kodiak will also get the job done.

I have zero experience with the Can Am's but know that BRP products are usually pretty solid machines as well.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
On an ATV for hunting would a Solid rear axle or Independent be preferred...??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What terrain are you riding on? I prefer an independent rear for comfort reasons. A solid rear axle is rough on my back since I have hardware in it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My neighbor bought one that he loves about 5-6 yrs. ago. He's a bigger guy and it fits him well! wish I could add more facts, but I just don't know anymore than that. I know that he rides a 100 miles a day at the Hatfield and Mcoy, trails in West Virginia, with others.

HS58

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 09/25/22.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hudge

What terrain are you riding on? I prefer an independent rear for comfort reasons. A solid rear axle is rough on my back since I have hardware in it.
I will be using it for 3 or 4 months this winter, to fetch the mail and haul supplies up the mountain, then sell it next summer to anyone who is looking for a ATV for hunting. So my goal is to figure out what appeals to those who hunt with an ATV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As someone who's hunted with an ATV in camp since the early 90's - IDGAF what axles are under it.

I care bout 1 thing first - does it start and run - every time. That's basically it.

Yamaha has never let me down. Were I to buy new tomorrow, it's the only brand I'll look at. Atv or Side by Side.

I wish this one had an hours meter or odometer. Bought new in 93. Run every weekend in fall in MI, 4 trips to Canada, multiple trips to MN, KY, MO, IL, IA hunting and hauling gear. Winters on the ice fishing and pleasure riding.

Happens to be solid axle. IIRC, on its 4th battery and 2nd set if handlebars. Routinely double the weight "limit" on the racks. No issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ditto on a Yamaha. I still have my 1988 Honda Fourtrax but since Honda went to electronic shifting I switched to Yamaha. Been hunting and working ATV’s since 1988 and it’s Yamaha.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I will be using it for 3 or 4 months this winter, to fetch the mail and haul supplies up the mountain, then sell it next summer to anyone who is looking for a ATV for hunting. So my goal is to figure out what appeals to those who hunt with an ATV.

Good luck getting one before spring. Mine is not here yet and has been on BO since early spring...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Good luck getting one before spring. Mine is not here yet and has been on BO since early spring...

I thought you were looking for a side by side.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am getting a sxs, 6x6. I do not believe the 4x4 is any more available.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think your idea of selling it at a 10% discount is hugely optimistic. At 4 months you’ve burned up a significant part of the factory warranty, and no one will implicitly trust that you maintained it properly, nor didn’t abuse it during break-in… I personally would not buy a machine from someone in your circumstances for just a 10% discount.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I agree, but that market is all over the map.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LoadClear
I think your idea of selling it at a 10% discount is hugely optimistic. At 4 months you’ve burned up a significant part of the factory warranty, and no one will implicitly trust that you maintained it properly, nor didn’t abuse it during break-in… I personally would not buy a machine from someone in your circumstances for just a 10% discount.

I'd go with this as well.

You'd get the 90% if it's hard to get an ATV and they're backordered forever and a day. That's been the market mostly recently. The problem is, that doesn't help the OP who wants to just pick one up for this winter - where's he going to get the super hard to get quad? Might get lucky - I don't count on being lucky in life.

Even on a 7k quad, I'd pay the extra 700 and get new/factory/warranty and be done - if I can. If I can't - it's unlikely that I'm going to find a used one, low miles/used 4 months total for sale anyway.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been hunting on and off 4 wheelers for almost 30 years and given my choice of suspension, it would be the IRS and it would also have power steering. The only disadvantage to having IRS are the rear axles, more stuff that can break but that still wouldn't stop me from buying a wheeler with IRS.

Just ordered a 2023 Yamaha Wolverine X2 XT-R yesterday, estimated date for arrival here is sometime in March but that date is tentative.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know little about ATV's except the ones I have available. I can turn a key, shift, and do basic maintainence (oil changes, etc). I have no interest in the esoteric stuff.....power ratios, suspensions, after-market "upgrades" , etc. If it works, I'm good! smile

2005 350 Honda Rancher, purchased used in 2011, low milage, had the heck used out of it for 7 years in Kotzebue, and since, on the local beaches, Caribou Hills, and hunting 40-mile caribou. Solid machine, and based on this, I'd go with a Honda, fairly new used, or new any model without hesitation. Mine has no power steering. PS is nice! No winch. Foot shift. Starts well, electric or pull. Mostly....

We are "keeping" a 2012? Kawasaki Brute 600 for a friend up north, and have used it on the 40-mile hunt the last 2 years. This one starts stubbornly electrically, especially after being parked awhile, and has no "park". Not sure if it has power steering or not. Has a winch. I like it the least of the 3. Don't know about later machines or models, but I wouldn't buy one based on current knowledge and preferences. Shift lever.

2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700, purchased used after moose season in 2019 from a 16 year old kid in Homer. It had been used pretty hard as a mudder/moose packer, taken care of, tho, fairly low milage, and is a damned nice machine. Power steering, winch (which came with it as add-on, and has come in handy a few times). I power washed about 50# of mud out of the underneaths after getting it, tho the top-sides were cleaned... My wife won't let me drive it much..... frown. Starts very well, electrically- can't recall ever having to pull start it..

I use it around home to move boat/atv trailers around mostly. Shift lever, with "park".

I'd recommend this, or another similar model Yamaha without hesitation, used if fairly new and taken care of, or new.

You would likely be best off buying a newer, used machine because of depreciation, as mentioned. Alaska List, Craig's List, etc . This is the time of year to get one, too, and spring to sell one.

Can-Ams- what little I know of them, appear to be rock-solid machines, but over-priced.

Last edited by las; 09/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks men, I appreciate the help.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Does POLARIS make a decent ATV or should they be avoided....???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are not a CanAm...

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
They are not a CanAm...
I got about six weeks to solve my problem. Soon I will likely have to choose the cleanest dirty shirt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did you get something to get you through the winter?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Did you get something to get you through the winter?

Yes, my two legs, and it was hell with two hips bone on bone. Can't use snowshoes because of the hips. And "ALL" of my food and everything comes from Amazon.com. Which gets left 3/4 mile away, so I backpack or sled it up the mountain.

Not this winter, but last winter I kept telling my medical team (reference that winter), "I don't think I am going to make". That was a huge mistake they thought I was suicidal, they held a
formal "Inquisition" and wanted to put me in an institution. And of course, take the firearms.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used a Can-am to chase cow. Uncle had a yamaha.. The Can-am being a bigger machine did not do as well traction wise on the hills (3" wet snow).
My '06 polaris 6x6 has 5k hard miles on it and still running. Honda rubicon '06 has the great power to ground for towing but solid rear axle and non eps
are a minus.
Like has been said before - good suspension and EPS are a must if you have any age or infirmities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.