Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We bagged our birds in clear plastic bags, first Ziplocks the first decade or so then vacuum packed the next decade with the feathered wing visible through the bag. It took a little jockeying around but we could get the speculum of the ducks visible for inspection before freezing them. The Border Patrol agents would check the first handful then glance at the remainder. It was pretty simple for them as all we would bring back were mallards, pintails, snow, speckle belly, and Canada geese and maybe some cranes. We would even go somewhat out of the way to drive through the entry at Hansboro, ND as we had a good relationship with the agents there.

Something to keep in mind is the larger entry points are often training sites too so you may be checked more thoroughly there than smaller entries. Often, one will see the same agent(s) on the way back which can make an easier transit if you made a good impression with them leaving the States. We would get the declaration forms on the way in to Canada and, if they weren't busy, ask for pointers on how to best fill out the forms. We would also ask if the agent would look over the firearm ownership form to see if any mistakes were made. Being polite and asking if they had the time to do this went a long way towards making re-entry to the States quick and painless. It's been 5 years since I hunted Canada but friends have been there since plus I traveled back and forth a few times a year for other reasons prior to the Wuhan flu and these are my observations. Good luck on the hunting.

BP-B2

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We're flying into Calgary as usual and the agents there are usually pretty good if they're not busy. The outfitter has always put them in a twist tie bag with the wing visible and then they go into a rubbermaid tub with some duct tape to keep it sealed up. The birds are still rock hard when we get home to Maryland. As long as that hasn't changed we're good.

Weather is looking good and will start packing this weekend. Always a fun group of us an an excellent outfitter https://www.waterfowlhuntingguides.net I think this is our 6th year and no desire to give up our slot.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Recently returned from our annual trip. We followed instructions and had no problems at the border. Customs guy looked only briefly at the birds. Still, I about shed a tear having to skin them. The skin and all that subcutaneous fat are keys to good cooking. A sad reminder of some bureaucrat’s arrogance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.