Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by eyedok
Zambia has alot of lions, are importable, we used hippo for bait, same for leopard, plus has alot of unique plainsgame not found elsewhere, Johnny Duplooy is excellent PH - Muchinga Safaris, contact his wife Laura, first class all the way, hoping to go back with them next year for the third time, just waiting for the tender process to sort out

Gotta agree with you that the DuPlooys are first class, they’re wonderful people. Very organized. Looking forward to another hunt with them someday.

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
One of the most exciting hunts I’ve ever been on, attempting a stalk, but being stalked by a BIG male Lion.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Lions remain importable, depending on where you hunt them. I know the lions from Bubye Valley Conservancy are importable.

Doc, just finished my third hunt with Johnlate July of this year. Did a double buffalo hunt and had a fantastic Safari. Saw lions multiple times. John just finished a 3 week hunt where they shot two lions, and also shot a leopard and multiple buffalo.

I too have the lion itch. If I could go right now, I would book with John. As I’m sure you know, he prefers to track them if conditions allow. It IS expensive and I’ve done the rough math in my head numerous times. High daily rates with minimum number of days, high trophy fees, and baits. My understanding is they are primarily using zebra and buffalo for baits. Fun to shoot a few extra buff for bait.

John will be at Dallas.

Regards

Only thing that would get me back at this stage of life is a tracking lion hunt with John.

And there is no way I am going to spend that kind of money....so I will live vicariously through someone else!

One of you needs to get on this! See you at DSC!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will be at DSC for first time.

Not sure I could ever spend their kind of money needed for trophy lion on BVC. Maybe one day a non-trophy hunt or maybe lioness.

Do or do not, there is no try.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Will be at DSC for first time.

Not sure I could ever spend their kind of money needed for trophy lion on BVC. Maybe one day a non-trophy hunt or maybe lioness.

Looking forward to meeting you at John's booth!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will be flying in Thursday afternoon. Planning on being at the show Friday and Sat. See you there!

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well written and well expressed in your OP DocRocket. I've always been a very voracious reader, even as a kid. While young my favorite readings were all of those books we all know about hunting Africa. Imagine my disappointment when I came to the realization that the cost, without sacrificing my future and that of my family, was beyond my means. It will never be for me. For those of you that are able, I will just have to settle for living vicariously through you. It's a good thing I enjoy reading so much.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ive been six times to Africa and have yet to see a lion.A couple hunting saw one on the hunt just before mine and it was filmed by Ray Buchanan.Ray uses the footage in his intro on his "Rustic hunter Production" videos.I came close to seeing one on my hunt in Makuti.When I was retiring in my tent for the night, one started calling from about 50yds from me.I was impressed with the power of the call.I was once booked to hunt Lioness but the outfitter switched my hunt for a leopard hunt instead because there were no lioness permits being issued that year.I had no complaints I got a nice leopard.I would like to hunt Lion but it is too expensive besides at this point in my life I would be just as happy with a single buff hunt and a couple of plains game.Besides, there is no guarantee it will be an awesome or challenging lion hunt.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/30/22.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You’ve got to REALLY want a lion to spend 75+k for a good free range hunt with a high success(although [bleep] can still happen) rate.

Last edited by jdollar; 12/30/22.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Something like this huh Doc?
https://imgur.com/JZjGS4X

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 12/30/22.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can afford it and it turns your crank why not?

I have bever seen a luggage rack on a Hearse, may as well spend it while you are vertical!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/30/22.

KB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
KillerBee
I think you mean vertical rather than horizontal.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
KillerBee
I think you mean vertical rather than horizontal.

Thank you for the correction RinB.

Happy New Year to you Sir!

KB

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had zero desire to kill a cat when while on a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe I did take a little cerval. A little over gunned with the 416 but Jerry Huffaker did a wonderful job mounting it. While on a hunt/fish/play trip in Namibia with my wife, a cat person, we glassed a cheetah. The neighboring farm owner had reported four kills on his sheep just a couple of days before. My PH asked if I was interested. As they are non-importable and carried a $7k trophy fee I replied in the negative. He replied that it needed to be killed and was mine for the taking gratis. A couple of hours of spot and stalk resulted in a 35 yard shot.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
I have had zero desire to kill a cat when while on a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe I did take a little cerval. A little over gunned with the 416 but Jerry Huffaker did a wonderful job mounting it. While on a hunt/fish/play trip in Namibia with my wife, a cat person, we glassed a cheetah. The neighboring farm owner had reported four kills on his sheep just a couple of days before. My PH asked if I was interested. As they are non-importable and carried a $7k trophy fee I replied in the negative. He replied that it needed to be killed and was mine for the taking gratis. A couple of hours of spot and stalk resulted in a 35 yard shot.

Too cool....and beautiful!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It is pretty much $100 all in, after all is said and done for a proper free range hunt. Remember, in Africa you get what you pay for. Did mine in '18. The importable free range hunts (Zim/Zambia/Tanzania) at the time ranged from $80-125. Those are reputable outfitters with quality lion areas. Yes it could have been/be done on the cheap(er) but reread the previous sentence.

The most magical hunt of my life. Having a lion so close that when he roars, the whole blind shakes is exciting enough, but multiply that by 3 lions surrounding your blind in the still of the night with all 3 roaring to each other is just as exciting as taking a buff with a bow or staring down a couple-three fake charges and then popping a frontal on an ele............ but for me, the magic of that lion hunt has never been surpassed.

Sango, Save Valley 2018.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 12/30/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
It is pretty much $100 all in, after all is said and done for a proper free range hunt. Remember, in Africa you get what you pay for. Did mine in '18. The importable free range hunts (Zim/Zambia/Tanzania) at the time ranged from $80-125. Those are reputable outfitters with quality lion areas. Yes it could have been/be done on the cheap(er) but reread the previous sentence.

The most magical hunt of my life. Having a lion so close that when he roars, the whole blind shakes is exciting enough, but multiply that by 3 lions surrounding your blind in the still of the night with all 3 roaring to each other is just as exciting as taking a buff with a bow or staring down a couple-three fake charges and then popping a frontal on an ele............ but for me, the magic of that lion hunt has never been surpassed.

Sango, Save Valley 2018.

Your lion Sir is the one of my dreams. A big, mature, dark maned lion like yours I’d trade every other African species for the stud of a lion like yours. Very nice job!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tony-

Great write up and photo! Thank you.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano

Sango, Save Valley 2018.

Beautiful cat, Tony! Thanks for the reply.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.