Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Going to run some paper patched 231 grain .358's today with 33 grains of IMR 4064 , they end up patched at .367 so they should work fine :>)
Cat
Well, today was pretty interesting to say the least!
My psper patched 358's performed pretty danged well at 50 yards , but I need to put more powder in them I think .
Group was about 5 inches. So the system has potential .:>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cat,

Were they printing high or low, and did you let the barrels cool for 20-30 minutes between shots?

I have a trick for cooling them that costs a bit, but it speeds up sighting in. I take the warmed barrels off and the forend off, then I spray them with starting fluid outside.

Warm/hot combo gun barrels tell you only to what extent they wander when warm, and it can be a lot.

I'm real interested in your patched bullet results and welcome more results. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Cat,

Were they printing high or low, and did you let the barrels cool for 20-30 minutes between shots?

I have a trick for cooling them that costs a bit, but it speeds up sighting in. I take the warmed barrels off and the forend off, then I spray them with starting fluid outside.

Warm/hot combo gun barrels tell you only to what extent they wander when warm, and it can be a lot.

I'm real interested in your patched bullet results and welcome more results. cool
Oh, this barrel is pretty thin so it heats up pretty quick but cools down really fast as well!
I did some testing with the warmer and colder shots with the heavier bullets and the difference on group size is about 2" at 50 yards, but shooting offhand I really didn't notice a point of impact shift because I was still having g some neck tension issues. That is straightened out now.
My paper patched bullet shooting today had a best group of 3 1/2 inches .
Loaded some more and going out tomorrow again :>)
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06/24/22.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, things are looking better again!
I went back to the big 293 grain,powder coated cast bullets, but changed up the load a bit.
I went back to 33.5 grains of powder, but used soome wasp nest as a filler!
Eniviromentlyy friendly and all that, it is light, and is easily inserted into the case.
Seems to work well for stopping the bloopers I was experiencing occasionally , and the accuracy seems better.
Velocity is down a bit again, so I will add another 1/2 grain and see whatt happens.
Hope springs Internal ! LOL
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 9.3x72R mostly had a pretty slow twist that worked well with lighter bullets. I made up a swaging die to bump 180 grain Speer 35 Remington bullets up to .366 and they shot great in my 9.3x72s. I also changed the point shape a bit . Shot a few deer & hogs with them. I Could hold under an inch at 50 with iron sights.

Last edited by brayhaven; 06/28/22.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, things are getting better. I went back to the cast and powder coated 293's, offhad accuracy is acceptable at 50 yards and 100 yards now.
I neck size the brass in the 9.3X74R dies, just a very slight bell, drop in 33 grains of IMR 4895 with a strip about 1 1/2"X1/2" of wasp nest rolled up and set just on top of the powder. I then thumb seat the bullet as far as I can , then push it into the chamber and close it up. This seats the bullet hard into the lands and smooths out the expanded case mouth. I can then take the cartridge out with my ginger and store in in the ammo box. Velocity is just under 1/700 FPS
Th two low shots in the group were shot with not a high enough front sight picture, I have taken the front sight down a bit and will try again.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06/30/22.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
just when I thought I was finished buying rifles a drilling popped up that I had to have!
16X16 over 9.3x72R, hammer gun made by Bohler Stahl with a box of Sellior &Bellot ammo .
Then a friend lucked into another 2 1/2booxes of RWS for me at a show this weekend!
I have shot pheasants and Sharptails and Ruffed grouse with the shotgun barrels but haven't had a chance to kill a deer with the 9.3 barrel yet. I have all of November to get that f]done though, and at 100 yards it is quite capable of that from what II have seen from my offhand targets.
Cat
[Linked Image]

been looking at a single shot 9.3, where to find ammo?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I’m jealous…..absolutely beautiful…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ready to rock the white tails and birds !
I ended up with a load of 33 grains of IMR4895, a 285 grain cast and clear powder coated bullet, with a piece of wasp nest between the powder and the bullet to keep it against the primer. Works very well.
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had my doubts that the big bullets would stabilize and am glad they did. If you can get some Buffalo .365 200gr bullets grab them. They worked GREAT in 4 different X72R guns I've had, two drillings and two cape guns.

That is one beautiful rig you have! I wish I owned it, and you had a nicer one.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had my doubts that the big bullets would stabilize and am glad they did. If you can get some Buffalo .365 200gr bullets grab them. They worked GREAT in 4 different X72R guns I've had, two drillings and two cape guns.

Well, I just bought another mold, this one is a 195 two cavity , so we will see what happens!
I would like to stay with the lighter bullets if they will group, for sure.
I agree, it is a pretty nice old gun!
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, I just bought another mold, this one is a 195 two cavity , so we will see what happens!
I would like to stay with the lighter bullets if they will group, for sure.
I agree, it is a pretty nice old gun!
Cat

Excellent!!

I'd stay away from the bigger bullets. They start to do their thing out about 120 yards in my experience. The 195s are about perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
353 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.