Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is what happens when a 22 collector runs out of spots to fill in his 22 collection, I've been branching out....

I got this Model 1895 two weeks ago. I has a modern Chicopee Falls address barrel on it. This is one I need to get some opinions on, the number on the stock does not match the receiver and when fitting the new barrel the numbers were removed from the forearm (I think on these the number would have been on the bottom of the channel and not on the end?) The pattern on the stock matches the one pictured on page 20 of David's book but his has small pointed cheeks. That pattern didn't make much sense just looking at his rifle, but seeing it on one with full 1895 cheeks explains the design.
[Linked Image]
The tang sight is the early type with the elevation nut held on by a cross pin and not a crimped in ring.

The cheek edge looks soft in this picture but it's the angle of the light, look at the top view above.
[Linked Image]

The forearm has a Marlin No. B checkering pattern (call Grade "B" on the other page - check out the description of the No. G too) and the stock looks similar to the Marlin No. D, but without the inner diamond and made for a straight grip. The Marlin catalogs do not have any pictures of a checkered straight grip. There are several patterns that include curved fronts and rears but with added features in the middle - on the stocks, look at the Grade No 2 and No 5(2) rifles, they have a curved front and a pointed rear.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I did find a picture of a straight grip Marlin from an auction, it has the No. B checkering on the forearm. There were no top & bottom pictures -
[Linked Image from dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net]

They added a second mount hole for the barrel swap and removed a lot of wood in the rear, I need to unplug the original hole.
[Linked Image]
I have an early 1899 octagon barrel I thought I could put on it, which would be much better than the one on it! but found it much was to wide to fit the forearm, so I called a friend of mine and talked him out of an original 1895 barrel he's had laying around for years, you can see in the two pictures above that is fits, but it is a bit tight. The 'new' barrel was on a gun at one time, you can see marks from the rear sight and some wear at the muzzle. I was surprised to see that none of the dovetails are blued, has anyone found this on other barrels? The JM stamp is not on the bottom flat, I do not know what the stamps on the bottom might be for.

[Linked Image]
I measured some barrels at the rear and they all seem very close, 0.924" to 0.939", but when I tired to fit the forearm on them it made a lot of difference, I should have also measured at the rear sight dovetail and the front of the forearm, they must all taper different. The forearm gets tight on the 1899 half octagon about 2 3/8" to far forward.
[Linked Image]

This is from an reproduction 1895 catalog showing the costs of extra's, including checkering -
[Linked Image]
(I wonder if anyone ever ordered a 32" barrel on one?)

Gene
BP-B2

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After putting all the above together to post, I managed to get the modern 30-30 barrel off the gun and get the octagon one on.

I added some sights that could have been ordered on one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It still needs some work on the forearm; plug the extra hole in the bottom and fill in the gaps on the sides of the barrel at the rear.

Gene
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
👍👍👍👍👍

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeneB
This is one I need to get some opinions on, the number on the stock does not match the receiver and when fitting the new barrel the numbers were removed from the forearm (I think on these the number would have been on the bottom of the channel and not on the end?)
1895 forearms were not serialized. Newbie. whistle

"Every day above ground is a good day."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
^^^^ Smart azz 😂
I was worried you would crack that forearm when I was watching you with it on Saturday night.
Looks very nice!

Brian

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost all of the checkered 1895's we see have one checkering pattern, which isn't this one. The common pattern is the one below. A couple very high grade 1895's have a fancier pattern.

But with this buttstock checkering style now being found on two 1895's, David's and Gene's, and the front curve matching a Marlin practice.. I agree with Gene, it seems to be a Marlin style. David's forearm being so odd made his rifle seem likely to be aftermarket. Now one has to wonder about whether his odd forearm is original or changed. grin

I don't think this is the catalogued checkering in the 1895 catalog which adds $9.50/$10.50 (fancy wood costs more) to the price.
The 1897 catalog has the same checkering but $1 cheaper, for $8.50/$10 (fancy wood costs more). But the 1897 catalog also has an "Checking on ordinary stocks" for $6. Didn't remember this at the Fest, but I'd wondered at what it could be in the past.

I'm guessing this is the 1897 $6 "Checking on ordinary stocks". Talk about rare!

Nice find, Gene!

Here's the normal 1895 checkering that's seen on 1895's, the $10'ish one I'm guessing.
[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Nice find, Gene!
.... pretty good for a newbie.... wink and I am a 'newbie' with the lever guns, but I'm learning fast! The forearm had a rather thick black waxy build up in it, I removed that and it fit much better. The only reason I bought 1899's before was because I had scopes that needed a rifle to put them on.

Gene
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's looking much better than when you found it Gene. Nice sights. Just a WAG, but there could be stamps put on the underside of the barrel when it was partially finished and then after it was finished, depending on the inspection and proof procedure.

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad, the top barrel stamp was done before final polish and bluing, the other stamps were done after. The dovetail must have been done as a gun was ordered since there were options to leave out the rear sight dovetail or to change the position.

Here is the 1895 extra's page again and the 1897 & 1900 to show the changes -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
They also list an option for the wood of the stock, American or English walnut, I hope they meant 'Select' and you did get a stock on your gun without paying extra! what else would they have used? Note the maximum barrel length is now only 30", I bet a lot of people back then were kicking themselves in the rear for not ordering a 32" when they could!
[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the basic checkering from the 1900 catalog, the rear is like the 1895's and the front top appears to curve and wrap over the same way.
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeneB
They also list an option for the wood of the stock, American or English walnut, I hope they meant 'Select' and you did get a stock on your gun without paying extra!
I think "Select" stocks are fancy grain, never understood why they removed that from the 1897 catalog. In the 1900 Extras page they are listed as "Fancy American Walnut And Forearm".

English Walnut is another step up. 1895 & 1897 list 2 upgrades to stock - American and English. The 1900 catalog lists 3 Fancy grades of stocks under Extras - American, English, and Circassian. But 1900 also mentions an "Extra Fancy Circassian Walnut" on page 9 along with carved stocks for $50.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing this Gene. I always thought it likely that my rifle had after market checkering, cheekpiece reshaped and forearm slimmed. Now I'm thinking it may be factory work. My rifle is matching numbers on the buttstock and plastic buttplate.
I included it in the new book because it has a case hardened receiver, high grade wood and the optional plastic buttplate. I also said the checkering and reshaping of the cheekpiece and forearm were probably done after market. It is definitely too late to add any more pics (of your rifle) but I may be able to reword the text to incorporate this new info before the book is printed.
Here are some photos of my rifle.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
internet malfuction? Anyway here are the pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
note in the last pic that the top of the grip has a screw hole for the wood mounted tang sight. The other hole is covered by the tang sight. Most if not all of the engraved and high grade 1895's that I have observed have these holes.

Last edited by wyo1895; 09/15/22.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forearm checkering definitely matches the buttstock checkering style. That forearm shape though is just so odd.. but might be right! grin

Buttstock checkering is a definite match to Gene's.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is a stellar find and recovery Gene. You deserve a very special thanks for bringing all Your research and collections to out for everyone to see!!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jeff, a collection is more fun when it can be shared and discussed so we all can learn more. The gun was a 'buy it now' type deal or someone else would get it and I had no time time to research it before buying so I was not sure if I made a good decision or not. It took well over a week to ship and I did not see David's rifle until looking in his book a second time, I just looked in other sections before - seeing that made me more relaxed about the purchase!

Seeing the forearm on David's, it looks like the checkering pattern shown on the No5(2) engraved gun but without the feature in the center. From the Marlin catalog all the checkering is consistent with Marlin designs. I had collected Marlin pump 22's before getting into the Savage's after I had an almost complete collection of them, so I have several old Marlin catalogs for reference from that time and I got to know a lot of Marlin collectors, which is how I tracked down a barrel so fast. The Marlin collectors also say the checkering looks like Marlin.

Rick got some date ranges on the serial numbers - Stock was made around 4/1896 and rifle in the 12/1896 to 2/1897 range based on other examples. The gun is in the mid 4500's and the stock in the low 6200's. Not being familiar with these I am surprised to see the higher serial number being earlier.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For some odd reason Marlin started the serial numbers at about 5000 and continued to about 8200 and then started numbering the rifles backwards from about 5000 making the latest rifles in the low 3000's.

wyo1895
[email protected]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These are good and informative learning posts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In the 1895 vein.... while looking at rifle checking grades in Brophy's Marlin book, this Savage 1895 mention is pages further back.
E.M. Savage is Eros Marshall. One of the younger AWS children.

What Savage sporting rifles 1944-45 have Marlin barrels??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would it not have a Marlin proof stamp? We have not seen that on anything center or rimfire that I know of. What might Marlin have provided that would not required them to proof it?

The "1987" date is a typo, should be 1897.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think they mean Savage was still producing their lever action in 1987.

Very few of them that year, but still catalogued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.