-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I posted this up in the Campfire, but it'll be buried in a few minutes. Figured some of you Canadians might find it to be an interesting trip to follow.

A retired MD out of Texas (Robert Youens), now turned adventurer, just took off today out of Tuktoyaktuk,NT and is going to navigate the NW passage in his jon boat. I think it's nuts, but people do crazy schit all the time and it works out. If you're on FB you can see his planning stages and boat mods. He also has a garmin tracker that you can follow him on.

Tracker

FB page

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What a great trip. He appears to be reasonably well prepared and capable. I clicked on his Garmin Tracker and was surprised to see that it gave an elevation of about 74 feet. I would have expected something a little lower. I expect the greatest challenge will be dealing with boredom but you never know. I expect conditions might be a little worse as he approaches the north Atlantic. A fascinating trip. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ptarmigan;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one up at Anchorage.

Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it.

When we did the run up to Dawson City and back a couple weeks ago we ran into a few folks on those sport adventure bikes who were headed to Tuktoyaktuk or coming back from there.

That's a wild and memorable trip he's taking for sure.

The technology we've got to be able to follow along really has changed the game too hasn't it?

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Ptarmigan;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one up at Anchorage.

Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it.

When we did the run up to Dawson City and back a couple weeks ago we ran into a few folks on those sport adventure bikes who were headed to Tuktoyaktuk or coming back from there.

That's a wild and memorable trip he's taking for sure.

The technology we've got to be able to follow along really has changed the game too hasn't it?

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

I think it's pretty cool to follow the guy. He's no greenhorn and has done a ton of planning, which includes permission from CA .gov to do it. Hopefully he doesn't have too many surprises. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Dwayne!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ptarmigan;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

For sure he seemed like he'd thought it out as well as possible. It's still beyond remote up there though as you know.

Hey we carried a full sized spare in the back of the wife's SUV on our trip because up the Cassiar Highway it's remote enough you know?

We're good thanks.

I mean it's fire season so there's a pretty good one burning just north and west of us filling the valley with smoke. So far only one house has burned, which is good all things considered.

When I put up some of the photos from our BC location on social media, folks from other more civilized parts of the world - well flatter parts for sure - wonder how we live out here. I tell 'em it's a trade off, just as everything in life tends to be so I've found.

On of our daughters is a high school teacher in one of the many cities that make up Greater Vancouver. They won't burn from a forest fire anytime soon, but I'll just make short visits out there thanks kindly... wink

Thanks again for the initial post and reply.

Dwayne

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for putting this up with the links. I will be following this. Having worked up in some of those regions he can be in for quite an adventure. Wind and weather can shut access down for days.

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the links, Ptarmigan. Surely will be interesting to follow the good doctor on his trip.

We know a few people up that way who tear around the passage all the time in freighter canoes, mostly 22 or 24 footers. His may be the first johnboat to make the trip.

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Good evening all, I hope wherever in the world this finds you tonight that it finds you and yours well.

It looks like he's reached Kugluktuk which used to be known as Coppermine, so that's a good sign.

Here's hoping all is going well for him.

Here's hoping all goes well for you all.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
All;
Good evening all, I hope wherever in the world this finds you tonight that it finds you and yours well.

It looks like he's reached Kugluktuk which used to be known as Coppermine, so that's a good sign.

Here's hoping all is going well for him.

Here's hoping all goes well for you all.

Dwayne

I’ve been following him on Zuckys Metabook. That video he took making his way through the ice, with all that fog around, didn’t seem like much fun to me! Ice, wind, cold water, cold air, and the potential for polar bears makes for a pretty interesting journey!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ptarmigan;
Morning sir, I hope the day's looking to be a decent one up in Anchorage and you're all well.

I'll have to take a look and see if I can locate that video, it sounds interesting.

After spending a fair bit of my life kicking around in remote areas - as I know you've done as well - it still gives me pause in the "really remote" places.

If nothing else it confirms my personal size and insignificance in the great expanse - perspective and all that. wink

It's wild what he's doing and I can respect it, but as someone who's said for my whole life that I'd rather ride a rough horse than a smooth boat... well Ptarmigan, the ocean commands my respect on a calm and clear day and scares me on the days it isn't.

All the best and thanks for the reminder to check his page.

Dwayne

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Freya Hoffmeister is completing her circumnavigation of North America by kayak and is crossing the NW passage now.
She's already circumnavigated South America, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland and Greenland.
If you enjoy reading adventure books you have to read Fearless. It's the story of her solo unsupported circumnavigation of Australia.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Freya Hoffmeister is completing her circumnavigation of North America by kayak and is crossing the NW passage now.
She's already circumnavigated South America, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland and Greenland.
If you enjoy reading adventure books you have to read Fearless. It's the story of her solo unsupported circumnavigation of Australia.

Outstanding, one awesome woman!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like he's not going to make it any further east. His boat has an 18" crack in the hull he's trying to get fixed while in Cambridge Bay. There's also a pretty extended bad weather forecast that will keep him on shore. I guess he's just hoping to make it back to Tuktoyaktuk now when he gets fixed up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ptarmigan;
Good morning, I hope the day's been kind to you thus far up in Anchorage.

Thanks for the update, that's too bad for sure, but hopefully he can get it repaired enough so it's safe to take him back to Tuk.

I wonder what caused the crack?

The hazards of aluminum and ice maybe?

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He may not have finished the entire planned trip, but 600 miles of the Northwest Passage is pretty amazing. Especially in some of the conditions he carried on through.

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

281 members (10gaugemag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.