24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody ever heard of one or seen one? I sure hadn't before today.

A Ruger serial number lookup shows this as their model 00181, would have been manufactured in 1993, but a further search of the web for "ruger model 00181" or "mark II model 00181" turns up nada. The seller description says a 5" barrel but it looks like it could be 4".

If anybody has any info or can point me to their catalog number - should be KMKsomething - I'd appreciate it.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Blue Book of Gun Values has some pretty good info. in it. (You can get it from the library, if you don't want to buy it). The gun value part is suspect with the volatile gun market's fluctuation, but good for information.
5 1/4 Tapered stainless steel barrel, (model KP514 DISCONTINUED 1994), is what I found.
Standard Mark 2.........Serial # started with, 18-00001 mfg. 1982-2004, thinking that serial numbers for what your talking about, is in that group.
I remember seeing several, back in the day at gun shows, and gun stores.
Hope this helps.

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Jim, that is a KMK514. 5.25 inch barrel. I have both a stainless and a blued version as well as the 22/45 version.
k2nd

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for those replies, they help a lot.

Have two Mk IV's and a Mk III in various configurations so don't need this at all but have been sorta kinda keeping my eye open for a deal on a decent 6 7/8" tapered barrel Mk II. But this one really strikes my fancy as a nicely balanced looking piece.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It looks shorter than 5" to me. Not what she said either..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pistol. Always liked the MkIIs.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I do, too. A lot of aficionados consider the Mk II the best of the breed without the needless lawyering up of the Mk III. I do like the easy takedown of the Mk IV's, that feature let me buy a new upper for $40 so I now have two different pistols which can be switched back and forth in about 20 seconds.

Got a Mk IV standard 6" blued which is very lightweight and balances all in the hand, then the 5 1/2" bull barrel replacement upper for a little more weight out front. The last one is a Mk III 6 7/8" slabsides with a lot more weight out front. Both frames have really great triggers thanks to Volquartsen.

This one would just split a very thin hair between a standard and 5.5" bull barrel as to weight and balance so trying hard to talk myself out of it. It would most likely have a red dot mounted so sight radius isn't a factor. The seller's price is on the top edge of what I'd hope to spend, then add sales tax and shipping and FFL fee to that plus maybe/probably another Volquartsen trigger kit and $$$$$.

Oh well, need/want/need/want - eeny meeny miney moe... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yes, I do, too. A lot of aficionados consider the Mk II the best of the breed without the needless lawyering up of the Mk III. I do like the easy takedown of the Mk IV's, that feature let me buy a new upper for $40 so I now have two different pistols which can be switched back and forth in about 20 seconds.

Got a Mk IV standard 6" blued which is very lightweight and balances all in the hand, then the 5 1/2" bull barrel replacement upper for a little more weight out front. The last one is a Mk III 6 7/8" slabsides with a lot more weight out front. Both frames have really great triggers thanks to Volquartsen.

This one would just split a very thin hair between a standard and 5.5" bull barrel as to weight and balance so trying hard to talk myself out of it. It would most likely have a red dot mounted so sight radius isn't a factor. The seller's price is on the top edge of what I'd hope to spend, then add sales tax and shipping and FFL fee to that plus maybe/probably another Volquartsen trigger kit and $$$$$.

Oh well, need/want/need/want - eeny meeny miney moe... wink

Its a nice pistol. Probably well balanced and very accurate. The MKII is my favorite.. I'm down to 2, but my 5.5" stainless bull barrel is my favorite. Probably shoots as well as my 6 7/8" slab side stainless, but lighter and quicker on target. I'll bet the pistol in your OP is more of the same. Great pistols..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
k2nd is correct it is a KMK514. My favorite barrel of all the MK series.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By Ruger's serial # lookup my MkII 5.25 Tapered Barrel shows as Model # 00158 built in 1992.

Regardless, it's a great pistol.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: I hope you came around and purchased that nifty MK-II!
Let me/us know if you did.
I currently own over two dozen Ruger MK pistols of many models (MK-I's, MK-II's, MK-III's and MK-IV's) and styles - most are heavier barrel versions.
I used to favor the MK-II's but now that I own several MK-IV's and have shot most of them at the range and at game and Varmints I fully prefer the MK-IV's over any other models.
This based on accuracy, reliability, triggers and looks.
Again I hope you acquire that MK-II.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks for those replies, they help a lot.

Have two Mk IV's and a Mk III in various configurations so don't need this at all but have been sorta kinda keeping my eye open for a deal on a decent 6 7/8" tapered barrel Mk II. But this one really strikes my fancy as a nicely balanced looking piece.

Sounds like a conundrum to me. Maybe wait until the right slab side comes along and let someone that doesn't have a MKII, buy this one. Just a suggestion. I'm also glad I haven't heard people complaining about how hard it is take down the MKII for cleaning. That is one of the funniest statements I hear about the MKII. It doesn't require tools and comes apart very easily. Some harder than others because some people never take them apart. I took mine out last week because I needed to dial in my new Burris fast fire 3 red dot with its new maddmac base. Afterwards, I took it apart to clean it. I made it a point to time it to see how quick it is to clean. 2 minutes and 45 seconds and no tools to disassemble. Take that for what it is worth. IF I had 1 complaint about the mkII pistol vs. the MK4 it would be the magazine release. The mkII is sort of unorthodox vs. your typical mag release. The mkII is slower and less efficient. In a shoot that requires a quick reload, the MKII is not my first choice. Thankfully the bowling pin shoots I attend do not require a second mag with my 22lr. 5 shots and its done..

BSA MAGA
Good luck finding more information on this model. I have a similar MKII with a bull barrel and it is very accurate. I also came upon a 4-digit Standard at the Tulsa gun show last year. It is well used but came with and awesome tooled holster. They are both keepers!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.