Print Thread
Hop To
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Brown Precision stock I've had for a while. I'm going to build a 250 Savage and when I tried another barreled action the lug hole would not accept it. I tried 2other actions and neither of them would would work either. I've never run into this problem before. I don't want
to go digging around in the hole w/ a dremel tool. Can I purchase a lug w/a thickness of .170?
powdr

Last edited by powdr; 09/15/22.
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be best to cut out the bedding and rebed it to your current action.
It could also be that the lug is crooked/misaligned on your current barreled action or the action that was in it before was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming this is a standard Remington lug, it is probably a little thicker than the .170 dimension you list. You can certainly have a lug ground to whatever thickness you want, but that will change the headspace by that same amount if the barrel has already been fitted. Some aftermarket lugs also have tapered sides, so if the stock was bedded for that, a standard would not seat properly.

Probably easier to rework the stock a little as 805 suggested.

FWIW I just had a thicker lug, a round recoil disk in this case, custom ground in order to swap a .284 Win prone rifle from a McMillan stock into an Eliseo stock without changing headspace. I think it cost $35.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 805
That.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's some food for thought. When you go changing one thing, my experience is that you can expect it to affect everything else. I had a rifle built with a thick "tombstone" type pinned lug as opposed to the Remington profile lug. It wouldn't fit in a chassis I wanted to use due to the profile of the "tombstone". I therefore asked the 'smith to replace with a Remington profile lug when he replaced the barrel. They did what I requested...However, the pin location of the two were in a different location. Therefore, they had to drill the face of the receiver again in a different spot. I would have thought that being both lugs were made by the same 'smith, the pins would be in the same location....NOPE.

Anytime you mess with with recoil lugs, pay attention to headspace, fitment of the stock, positioning of the lug (if no pins) and where the pins are drilled for the receiver.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr
I have a Brown Precision stock I've had for a while. I'm going to build a 250 Savage and when I tried another barreled action the lug hole would not accept it. I tried 2other actions and neither of them would would work either. I've never run into this problem before. I don't want
to go digging around in the hole w/ a dremel tool. Can I purchase a lug w/a thickness of .170?
powdr

Beware of this guy, he is operating way above his pay grade!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The thickness of the recoil lug is part of chambering on actions without an integral lug… so if you change the lug, you change the distance to the shoulder of the chamber..

I.E. Don’t change the lug as others indicated (assuming it’s not an integral lug -then you can’t change it anyway)

Relieve the FRONT of the recoil lug recess… in the stock - it shouldn’t touch anyway.

smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The thickness of the recoil lug is part of chambering on actions without an integral lug… so if you change the lug, you change the distance to the shoulder of the chamber..

I.E. Don’t change the lug as others indicated (assuming it’s not an integral lug -then you can’t change it anyway)

Relieve the FRONT of the recoil lug recess… in the stock - it shouldn’t touch anyway.

smile
Sheesh, I'm no gunsmythe, but why would anyone do it like that, you turn the barrel shoulder to accommodate the additional thickness of the new lug, to maintain headspace. I've installed several of those thicker lugs and never changed the headspace.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
It could also be that the lug is crooked/misaligned on your current barreled action or the action that was in it before was.

Yeppers.
Relieving the lug area of the stock (and bedding) is the easiest solution – by a long shot, in the equation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look Kobe, didn't think you were that stupid...but I guess you are. Be careful what you post. Danm you're stupid! powdr

IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks guys for the help. I don't have a barrel or a lug yet so I'll just take Shane's advice and put it together w/ a standard lug and rework the lug area. Thanks again guys. powdr

*I wrote last night that the gun has never been bedded and is original from factory so someone had a .170 recoil lug or had one ground. Post didn't go through. powdr

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Found a lug fellas...thanks for all the input. powdr

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is joke, correct?

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
This is joke, correct?

Like I said!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
HEADSPACE????????????????????????????????????????

Buy, rent or borrow BOTH Go and No GO gauges before you pull the trigger. And actually use them CORRECTLY.

If you don't, you're an idiot.

Ignorance has a cure, but STUPID is forever.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
JR, I don't know if you feel it's OK to call me stupid cause you're [bleep] buddy Kobe has a loose screw but I know the ins and outs of building a gun...I just ran across a problem I've never seen. By the way, you didn't think I was so stupid when I bought a pair of Mark X actions off of you so your boys could go fishing. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 09/19/22.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been putting together rifles for 40 years and all in my herd will shoot an inch as well as guns I've sold here on the fire. I have a good, basic understanding of how a rifle works...better than most here on the fire. I would like to thank:

Devnull
Mike S
Redneck
Spotshooter
Skane-who always gives sound advice

The other 3 or 4 of you SOB's can go give your advice and criticisms on other threads. I consider this thread closed. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 09/19/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by powdr
JR, I don't know if you feel it's OK to call me stupid .....

powdr

I didn't.. I said if you don't check headspace with go and no gauges after this "here's your sign"

You provided a limited amount of info almost like you were trolling.

Were you???

You want to do it right the first time. Don't you?

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I for one, apologize.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.