Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Today, I'm going to try and fire 40 shots to see how I can do. I still can't take a deep breath, can't sleep well, and have trouble even getting up out of the chair. One wouldn't think ribs would hurt this bad. I see guys on TV get blown across a parking lot and bounce off a car then sprint a quarter mile. I can only conclude that I am a candy ass. For me, even the 250 yard walk to the range will be a struggle. GD

BP-B2

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
Right now, I'm having trouble holding the old Model 52.

Which 52 are you using? I have a 52A Sporter, that was produced in 1929 after the A mod but before they marked them as As, that I am sorely tempted to put a decent scope on. It's every bit as accurate as my Anschutz but the stock fit may be funky once I put a modern scope on it and as was mentioned, offhand fit is almost as important as accuracy. I've also gotten used to a 2-stage trigger and while this trigger is spectacular, it's single stage.

The period correct 2.5 Zeiss is neat but not a help.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Originally Posted by Big Stick
DumbDog,
Pardon my pixels bing so fhuqking AWESOME
A fhuqking SUBJECTIVE statement.
Being subjective don’t make it untrue.

Hint…..

😁😁

Kind of, but it's more complex than that.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought a much-used Model 52C. It shot well but the throat was burnt pretty good and the original stock was, of course, designed for prone, more than offhand, shooting. So, I set the barrel back an inch and rechambered it. Then I recontoured it to lose some weight. I had a piece of myrtle which had been drying in the rafters for about twenty years and I carved out an off hand (left handed) stock from that. The stock approaches the design limits but easily fits within. I even checkered the grip! It worked out real well. The latest mod was to cut the trigger off and weld in a spacer to move it back about 3/16 inch. This to compensate for some arthritis in my trigger finger which was messing up my mechanics a bit.
Another rifle is an old Model 75 Winchester. It is also restocked and is re-barreled with a Gaillard barrel.
The Model 52 is very accurate and shoots better than any 22 I have had. Standard Plus stays under a minute most of the time but the truth is, I shoot the 75 a little better. Dimensionally, the stocks are similar but the 75 holds a little better. It is 1/2 pound lighter.
I made the stock on the 52 so it feels as much as possible like the Pharr pattern stock (from Steve Wooster) I have on my primary high power rifle.
I didn't start shooting silhouette until I was 67 and I strongly suspect that's a little too late for a person to achieve his best scores! My goal is to hit 75% before I hit 75 yo and I'm running out of time!
Your 52 Sporter is a beauty! Too nice for the likes of me. It's too nice and too valuable to modify although, I suppose, one could restock it with a dedicated stock and save the original for show. My 52C was beat up enough that I had no trouble doing the mods. If I'm completely honest, stock fit might be good for two or three points in a forty shot round, no more than that; at least in my case. My biggest challenge is just trying to hold still! GD

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting! A lot of work but an interesting project. We do have a gent who shoots one of the Browning repro 52's in hunter class.

Your 52 Sporter is a beauty! Too nice for the likes of me. It's too nice and too valuable to modify although, I suppose, one could restock it with a dedicated stock and save the original for show. My 52C was beat up enough that I had no trouble doing the mods. If I'm completely honest, stock fit might be good for two or three points in a forty shot round, no more than that; at least in my case. My biggest challenge is just trying to hold still! GD

This one has less than most collector value as the bolt (very nicely though) was cut for the scope clearance and the peep is long gone but otherwise it's pristine. If the mounts can be made to work without more D&T I'll likely give it a try. Lots of changes for us in the next year with retiring and moving though so hard to say when I'l get to it. If nothing else it can be a spare rifle or one to loan to a friend who wants to give the game a try.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like being able to use old, classic, rifles, and still be relatively competitive; limited only by my ability or lack thereof. So it is that I shoot all Winchester rifles for M-S. GD

Last edited by greydog; 09/16/22.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sticky, Nothing but crickets for acouple of days. Still waiting to hear about your rightly legendary silhouette shooting. Laughing! I'll leave these pics here. My classifications, two SB grand slams, SB standard #206 and SB hunter #96, and a pic of my Kimber HS (notice the stickers on the scope). Feel free to PM me your addy I won't send you my underwear, but I'll send you a few tips on shooting silhouette! Hint!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like being able to use old, classic, rifles, and still be relatively competitive; limited only by my ability or lack thereof. So it is that I shoot all Winchester rifles for M-S. GD

Concur. I doubt I'll ever be a master class shooter. I just started too late. It's all good fun and comradeship to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

Concur. I doubt I'll ever be a master class shooter. I just started too late. It's all good fun and comradeship to me.
You don't have to have the goal of being the best ever. But when you try, and work at it, you usually get a lot better than you ever imagined you could be.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, the match is over; I didn't shoot all that badly (low to mid-twenties). Being unable to take a deep breath didn't bother much. When I last worked on the 52, I lost the magazine latch button and didn't notice until I went to pop the first mag out (the button is on the bench). I had to shoot the rifle as a single shot and I think that helped me by slowing me down. I did not shoot as well as my shooting partner but that's simply because he is a better shot than I!
Just club match, not much more than a practice session but this kind of competition is what feeds those national level matches. GD

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Boy, what a way to ruin what could of been a good discussion. But in case someone is still watching this thread I have a couple of questions. Does anyone have any experience with the new Anchutz 1761 Silhouette rifle? Also, what kind and power of Leupold scope do most people use?

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Does anyone have any experience with the new Anchutz 1761 Silhouette rifle? Also, what kind and power of Leupold scope do most people use?

I've not seen any in use yet but sure don't like the new magazine fitment. It would be in my way the way I hold. The vast majority of shooters use the FX-3 25x40 but with those discontinued (and about $800 on EBay) I think that will change.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't like that much power because of a proven tendency to crossfire if I'm not careful! I like the larger field of view afforded by a 16X but this is hard to find so 6.5-20 variables are more usable for someone like me. I would love for leupold to make a run of 16's but it seems unlikely since they would have a market of (1) ! GD

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't like that much power because of a proven tendency to crossfire if I'm not careful! I like the larger field of view afforded by a 16X but this is hard to find so 6.5-20 variables are more usable for someone like me. I would love for leupold to make a run of 16's but it seems unlikely since they would have a market of (1) ! GD

Yea, I had my first crossfire this year, of course on rams and of course I hit it. cry

I think the new https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-6-5-20x40-efr-cds-t-fine-duplex is going to be what they have going forward. I'll buy one once they're out in the wild but I haven't seen one for sale yet.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, I've made some good shots on the wrong target! That looks like a good scope for the purpose, to me. Be nice if it came with a dot but I can make do with cross hairs. I might upgrade one of my old Weavers. GD

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.