Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My propane people will drive an F-450 about 39 miles one way to blow the dust off of my thermocouple and light my pilot

FOR FREE. And have done it

they’ll come out here at 2 am if I think I have a leak

FOR FREE…and have done it

youre a dope and your propane company sucks

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I’m no propane expert, but propane is already under pressure. Get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray it on any questionable areas. It will tell you if you have a leak… oh, and no smoking.

I'm a propane guy and this is exactly what I'd do.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really?

If I've read the OPS posts correctly, he's stated that he's busted up older guy that hit his propane riser while mowing and wants to be sure he didn’t create a underground leak.

Exactly how do you remedy this with a bottle of soap?

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If it isn’t bent badly and isn’t leaking, don’t worry about it. If it was leaking you would smell the Mercaptan in the gas. Propane is oderless, Mercaptan adds that cshitty smell. Put a squirt of dish soap in a spray bottle with water, spray everything on tank and the place you hit. A little bend in the copper won’t hurt a thing. I’m sure the pressure regulator is on the tank, pressure in your line is less than 1 PSI. That is the same with natural gas going to a home. The owners side of the meter is less than I PSI. Gas companies here will give commercial customers 5 PSI that is used outside the building, like on the roof, underground to other buildings on property, but when lines go inside there is a regulator reducing the 5 PSI to less than 1 PSI. I bet you are fine as is. Residential customers get less than 1 PSI.

It’s hard to accurately test gas without using a mercury gauge. Spring gauges aren’t nearly as accurate.

If you live in a city and smell gas in your house or on your property, shut it off at meter, call a plumber. If you call the gas company, they will lock your meter shut, make you have a licensed plumbing company pull a permit, test line for a city inspector before turning your gas back on. It’s called a GTO. Show your wife how to shut off the gas, way cheaper to call plumber to start with. I hated GTO calls. I’ve seen people charged 1000.00 for a pilot out, because they smelled gas, called the gas company first.

The stupid ass administrators at the schools would call the gas company, fire department, we had to locate and repair the damn problem anyway. Most of the damn smell was exhaust from big ass boilers and water heaters. The Dumass custodians would prop a door open by a mechanical room to take out the trash, AC or wind would take smell inside. I do not have to fuuuck with those people that were educated beyond their intelligence level anymore. The dark administrators were the worst to deal with.

Boilers by a car rider line, caused a lot of grief, exhaust pipe on some boiler be 15 inch. A lot of burnt gas come out, sometimes there would be 3 at a high school, plus domestic water boilers. Damn parents flip out if they smell anything.

I had an elementary by a sewer treatment plant. A southwest wind would fill school up with sewer smell.
Got calls for that often. Not no more!!

Last edited by hanco; 09/16/22.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by akasparky
Really?

If I've read the OPS posts correctly, he's stated that he's busted up older guy that hit his propane riser while mowing and wants to be sure he didn’t create a underground leak.

You use the soap to locate the leak, then make repairs if necessary.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Really?

No, read what he said again. You can't use soapy water on a copper pipe that's in the friggin ground.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Really?

No, read what he said again. You can't use soapy water on a copper pipe that's in the friggin ground.

It says where it came out of the ground. Dig around it six inches in the ground. Soap around where it was hit. If it isn’t leaking and just egg shaped, it’s ok. Just as much gas will pass through the line. You could expose the underground copper, fill ditch with water, check pipe that way. It depends on length of line, slope of land, and how ambitious he is.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Really?

It says where it came out of the ground. Dig around it six inches. How can you hit it with a lawnmower underground??

Well thats a good point. Overall I think the guy is worried about nothing.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If no leak, make every gas appliance come on to make sure you enough gas is coming through. A water heater or heating unit have low pressure safety cutoff features. Get those going, turn stove on last, see if heater or water cuts off. If everything is on and stove flame look fine, good to go. That is assuming the supply was big enough to run everything to start with.

A customer rarely uses everything appliance at one time, but should be sized to do so. I had a half inch OD line that supplied my old house. Tank was a hundred feet away. That small line would run clothes dryer, stove, water heater, and heating unit.

He is probably using everything now, I assume?? If it was leaking, they would smell it by tank I would bet money on.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Really?

I had a smell by my meter. It’s by the house, not at street. I soaped all the visible joints and the regulator. I dug around the gas riser (metal ninety that adapts yellow plastic pipe to steel), filled hole with water, bubbles came up. It was compression coupling where plastic connected to the metal riser. That belonged to my gas company.

Sometimes regulators go bad. They have rubber diaphragms that will fatigue over time. You can cup your palm under the regulator vent, soap until you fill vent up. It will continually bubble if bad. Regulators burp gas from time to time. Those integral equipment regulators in mechanical rooms are vented to the outside atmosphere individually, can’t be teed together.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for the help with clarity of my question.

I've understood the bubble effect for sometime but I suppose a refresher course never hurts.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If it is a big leak, won’t bubble, blows soap away.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Really?

You misread the OP’s assessment of his situation.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OK, I will go through this once again. I hit the copper pipe, above ground, where it comes out of the ground and then changes to black steel pipe that goes under the house. I am worried that the iron pipe under the house might have a leak from the jarring of the pipe when I hit it. I will replace the copper that is not under the house, even though it is not leaking, it has a damaged spot that I want to replace. I simply want to check as a precaution, the under the house part. I am aware that I can spray soapy water on the part that is easy to get to out side of the house. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coupled with this....

Originally Posted by milespatton
I am old, have a bad back, one knee replaced which makes it hell to try to crawl around looking or smelling for a leak under the house, when a simple (to me) pressure check should eliminate all of that. miles

Is what led me to believe you simply wanted to do a pressure test from outside to be sure the underground and under the house piping were in good order being your not in the physical shape required to dig and crawl under your home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont worry about it.😎

Place I work was built in the late 60s, been there 23 years.
We have furnaces and big (12' x 40' double decker) ovens, all
burning gas. For years we would complaint to maintenance 😂😂😂
about gas smell. All over the place.

Of course none of them could smell it. (Hear no evil, see no evil, smell no evil. Go drink coffee in the cage)

One day it was pretty bad, and a gas company guy was there.

We were shut down immediately, no concern for product loss or
any other issues. Almost every pipe joint in the place was leaking and
we had considerably more pressure in the system than allowed.

Lost a couple days work over it, haven't smelled gas since.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by milespatton
OK, I will go through this once again. I hit the copper pipe, above ground, where it comes out of the ground and then changes to black steel pipe that goes under the house. I am worried that the iron pipe under the house might have a leak from the jarring of the pipe when I hit it. I will replace the copper that is not under the house, even though it is not leaking, it has a damaged spot that I want to replace. I simply want to check as a precaution, the under the house part. I am aware that I can spray soapy water on the part that is easy to get to out side of the house. miles

If you didn’t hit it hard enough to tear the copper, you ain’t gonna have a leak Miles. I’d feel the same if it was mine, did plumbing for 50 yrs.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A fellow could have a lot of fun with can of that Mercaptan crap, have people chasing their tails all over looking for leaks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by uinta_fish
regulator on the propane tank would take the tank pressure lbs to 9" to 11" water column on the outlet of the regulator..

And that 11" of water column is less than .4 PSI (4/10 PSI). I was "a lot of years old" before I realized that propane lines were so low of pressure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.