Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was bs'ing with a guy the other day while I was trying to buy his WWII M1 Carbine (Winchester) and we started talking about engagement distances in the various wars.

WWI: Trench warfare might seem to be long distance engagements. Of course a charge and over taking another's trench would mean close range fighting. I know the Americans used some pump shotguns and buckshot to such deadly effect the Germans made formal complaints about it. I have no idea what the average rifle engagement range might be?

WWII: I would guess the European theatre would have longer ranges than fighting in the Pacific?

Korea: Longer ranges? Until the communist made a suicide charge and ended up in the lines of the American forces?

Vietnam: Mostly close ranges?

GWAT: Iraq close, Afghanistan far?

What is "close" range? Inside 100 yards? Medium might be 100 - 250? Anything outside that long range, 250+? I was thinking of our various military rifles in that time frame and their capabilities and the different conditions they were used in and started me thinking about I personally would have wanted in those situations. And, God bless the American serviceman forever for the sacrifice they made and continue to make today.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Terrain and environment dictate "engagement" range more than doctrine or tactics.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the way that the media throw around "point-blank range" like they know what it means.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Germans developed the 8mm Kurz (7.92 x 33) in WWII after their studies showed that most combat engagements took place within 400 meters, so that would include 1 to 400 meter engagement distances.

In "Battlefield Analysis of Infantry Weapons", a study of the effectiveness of various infantry weapons in the Korean War, most combatants reported that they didn't engage the enemy with their M1 Garands much beyond 200 yards. The two main reasons given were terrain - the sloping, hilly nature prevented them from seeing the enemy until they were about 200 yards away, and probability of hits. They didn't figure they had much chance of hitting them beyond about 200 yards and so saved their ammo until they got closer.

In the first Iraqi war some soldiers were reportedly mounting 4x scopes on their M-16's using whatever civilian scope mounts were available due to the extended ranges of engagement. Don't quote me too hard on that since it's from some half remembered article I read 30 years ago.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
MOGC, did you buy the Winchester carbine? What was he asking? I have one I will probably be selling. Same with a Standard Products carbine.

Sam......

IC B2

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
MOGC, did you buy the Winchester carbine? What was he asking? I have one I will probably be selling. Same with a Standard Products carbine.

He is still trying to make up his mind if he wants to sell. This guy is a character, he collects, not for use, just for collecting and is always wheeling and dealing. He has over 50 Randall Made knives, several variations of about every U.S. Military rifle and handgun that has been issued since the Spanish American War 1898.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Germans developed the 8mm Kurz (7.92 x 33) in WWII after their studies showed that most combat engagements took place within 400 meters, so that would include 1 to 400 meter engagement distances.

In "Battlefield Analysis of Infantry Weapons", a study of the effectiveness of various infantry weapons in the Korean War, most combatants reported that they didn't engage the enemy with their M1 Garands much beyond 200 yards. The two main reasons given were terrain - the sloping, hilly nature prevented them from seeing the enemy until they were about 200 yards away, and probability of hits. They didn't figure they had much chance of hitting them beyond about 200 yards and so saved their ammo until they got closer.

In the first Iraqi war some soldiers were reportedly mounting 4x scopes on their M-16's using whatever civilian scope mounts were available due to the extended ranges of engagement. Don't quote me too hard on that since it's from some half remembered article I read 30 years ago.

That's interesting information. 400 yards and in for the WWII European Theatre and 200 yards for Korea. The Korean War range surprises me. I would have thought it further.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may be wrong but I believe the Carbine was not intended as a combat weapon but rather a replacement for the pistol carried by support troops. It ended up being very popular with *some* front-line troops while others detested it.

I had one and it was fun as hell to shoot, and I could see where carrying one would be less strenuous than a Garand.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They did a lot of sniping in WW1. Actually all wars.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I may be wrong but I believe the Carbine was not intended as a combat weapon but rather a replacement for the pistol carried by support troops. It ended up being very popular with *some* front-line troops while others detested it.

I had one and it was fun as hell to shoot, and I could see where carrying one would be less strenuous than a Garand.

As a kid I carried an M1 carbine as my first deer rifle. I’m glad I never shot a deer with it. IIRC the ballistic chart said it had about half the juice of a .30-30. Close range for sure.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
At the siege of Vicksburg, the men in the trenches were so close together that they could talk back and forth in normal voices. The problem was more a case of hitting your enemy with the barrel when you didn't have enough room between you to aim.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Think about being a soldier in WWI jumping in a trench with that Springfield bolt action and long bayonet!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by MOGC
Think about being a soldier in WWI jumping in a trench with that Springfield bolt action and long bayonet!

E tool or club worked great in the trenches. Matter of fact you could order an old time style mace from Sears& Roebuck and have it forward to your loved one in France. Marketed as a trench club!

Edit. Lots of theatre made weapons too like pick handles wrapped with concertina wire!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/16/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather have a Winchester 97 stuffed full of 00 Buck and a 1911 and a bunch of loaded magazines! That would probably have been a pretty good combination at night in a foxhole in the WWII Pacific.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'd rather have a Winchester 97 stuffed full of 00 Buck and a 1911 and a bunch of loaded magazines! That would probably have been a pretty good combination at night in the Pacific WWII.

Rather had a Model 12. 😉

Never been a fan of the 1897 Winchester

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
In WW1 from what I’ve read “A Rifleman Goes To War” crossing no man’s land was the biggest chalky. Machine gun nests set up a crossfire. Those guys were in a pretty terrible mess. Even the trenches were filled with rats and mice, mud and sewage.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 43 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.