Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know I’m the only one that can answer this but thought it would be worth hearing form others that have had the same question…

I have 3 (two springers and a pcp) in .177 caliber. I’ve been wanting a .25 caliber for a couple of years and have kind of settled on an FX Impact. But, been watching Matt Dubber, AirarmshuntingSA on Youtube and his hunting is all done with 22 caliber. He’s part owner of a company and they make air rifle slugs and he uses them to great effect. So, with that said, I’m torn between the 22 and 25 caliber now. No, I’m not considering 30 caliber, I don’t need an air rifle that big and it would be much more expensive to shoot.

I want something that will buck the wind better than the .177 pellets (which don’t buck any wind) and something I could hunt small game with if i wanted to. Matts pellets do this very well in 22 caliber. Overall, I could shoot the 22 cheaper for fun plinking and switch to the slugs if I wanted to hunt. Would I regret it though and wish I had the .25? Of course my shot count per fill would be somewhat higher in .22 caliber.

I live in a town but on the outskirts and I can shoot air guns but not rimfire. My target range will be about 35 yards and my bench will be under the cover of our enclosed porch so I could shoot if its raining. My backstop is my concrete walled shop although I’ll be shooting into a bullet trap so i’m not hitting the shop directly.

I need to go back and watch some of Ted’s Holdover videos because I know he used to shoot 22 pretty much exclusively, shot .25 for awhile but seems like he may be back to the 22 as his go to weapon.

So, looking for input, experience, just plain thoughts on what others have done, thought of doing, or just being the devils advocate. The FX Impact is very pricey, so no I won’t be buying 2!

Last edited by 450BM; 09/16/22.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For slugs, make certain ya get the correct barrel from FX.

They make a different barrel for slugs.

Can't say how pellets would shoot from the slug barrel.

Usin slugs, both calibers will kill about the same.

.25 gives a wider range of slug weights, which may help with accuracy.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, I didn’t realize the barrels were ammo specific. I was just watching a Ted’s Holdover video and learned something else. You can change the caliber by switching the barrel and the ‘bolt’. Sweet!! So… could have as slug barrel and pellet barrel AND multiple calibers.

Still trying to find out if the mag is in the way for left handed shooters (me). Read an article on GunMart and the author was shooting left handed. I asked on the page that question but haven’t received a response yet. I’ve also asked on Pyramydair but the tech wasn’t sure. I may have to call the USA FX site in Wilmington NC and see if I can talk to someone about it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
What distances and what varmints are you likely to encounter?

I've been shooting squirrels and rabbits at 40 to 50 yards and getting passthroughs on both with a .22 18.3 gr JSB Match pellet at 1,000 fps. Stepping up to a .25 only burns more air and is louder. Not sure it kills any better than a .22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Distances would probably be under 100 yards. I don’t “need” this for hunting, I have a safe full of powder burning guns for that. Although I go get woodchucks in the yard once in awhile and the rabbits chew the crap out of everything we plant so they become yard targets. I really want something that’s quiet(er) and I can shoot outside at my house and could take it to the farm for pigeons. and starlings and be able to shoot in whatever wind there is. My 177’s are pretty much worthless in the wind…

Larger. caliber, shot count and noise are factors and I know it’s a little higher cost for larger caliber. I’m really thinking 22 is the way to go and then if I really want more i can always buy .25 cal barrel for it.

Started shooting JSB’s when I got my Marauder. Nothing else compares although the FX brand pellets look like they are made by JSB and they are cheaper. I may try a tin when I get started.

I haven’t ordered anything yet so still listening…. :-)

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Every caliber seems to be a deep rabbit hole for me so I fight the urge to get anything new. .177, .20 and .22 is my limit for now.

-Tim-
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd go 22 cal.

I have 22 and 25 on hand. After shooting them for a while now, I would have skipped the 25, and instead maybe picked up a 30 or 35 cal for something bigger than 22.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I decided to go with .25 Not a done deal yet but I did order some pellets from pyramidair. The FX Impact is a platform, pretty easy to swap calibers. So I could end up getting 22 and 30 in the future. Who knows…

I’ve really been wanting the .25 and was afraid the 22 would be disappointing to me shooting pellets and pellets is what I’m going to start with. I’ll probably stay away from slugs because like I said before, I have powder burning guns and lots of ammo for them if I want to reach farther.

Chief mentions rabbit holes… yeah, I’m a reloader (for 45 years) and shoot mostly powder coated cast bullets in all my pistols and a good number of rifles. Everyone of my centerfires turns into a rabbit hole! dies, molds, gas checks, bullet sizing dies, new powders to try, holy crap, where does it end! :-)

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 450BM
Everyone of my centerfires turns into a rabbit hole! dies, molds, gas checks, bullet sizing dies, new powders to try, holy crap, where does it end! :-)

The same with airguns.

There's pellet sizing dies.

Regulators ta adjust air pressure released with each pull of the trigger.

Hammer adjustments, ta adjust how mucha that air pressure gets released.

As many pellet weights in a caliber, as there is bullet weights.

And it's more difficult ta adjust the variables, airgun-wise.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an FX Impact M3 .25 Sniper I bought last year. I grabbed a bunch of JSB Exact King MkII Heavy pellets (34gr) and a Hill pump. It is sweet, and crazy accurate! Haven’t touched any of the adjustments - just pump and shoot!

I also bought some of the FX Hybrid slugs which are supposedly designed for the newer barrels included on the Impacts (and other FX rifles), but I haven’t tried ‘em yet.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd go .22

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TXRam
I have an FX Impact M3 .25 Sniper I bought last year. I grabbed a bunch of JSB Exact King MkII Heavy pellets (34gr) and a Hill pump. It is sweet, and crazy accurate! Haven’t touched any of the adjustments - just pump and shoot!

I also bought some of the FX Hybrid slugs which are supposedly designed for the newer barrels included on the Impacts (and other FX rifles), but I haven’t tried ‘em yet.

I just ordered the same thing! I think it will be here Tuesday… Pellets will be here Monday, new air pump is coming tomorrow. I need to figure out a scope for it…

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TXRam

I just ordered the same thing! I think it will be here Tuesday… Pellets will be here Monday, new air pump is coming tomorrow. I need to figure out a scope for it…

Well, I love mine, wouldn’t change my decision! And like you mentioned earlier, its not that hard or expensive to change calibers if you do decide later that you wish it was a .22 or .30 caliber. Researched that all myself, but haven’t even thought about since getting my Impact.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think this will be the last air rifle I ever buy. Would be kind of cool to set it up for .177 slugs but I have a 17 M2 with lots of Eley for it and I’m sure it couldn’t be cooler than that. Maybe just getting a slug liner (.25) would scratch that itch for changing something. I guess for now I’ll just get it shooting with the pellets (which are here). Gun will be here Wednesday.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gun is here but it’s not scoped yet. I was going to put one of my old scopes on it just to shoot it but decided to wait for the new one. That could change though…

To really see these guns in action go to these Youtube channels:
airarmshuntingsa
air tac hunting
air-hunter gerhard

And of course the guy that got me hooked on pcp, Teds Holdover.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just got finished shooting the Impact for the first time. I don’t have a scope yet so I mounted a red dot on it just to play a little. Oh my… I’m giddy! I’ve watched over 100 videos (maybe over 200) on this rifle and I was expecting it to shoot well. I don’t have a bench setup yet so I was improvising using an adirondack chair and resting the gun on my wrist Quickly got it sighted in and shot some groups. The best group was the one I shot at 93 yards. My target was a steel i-beam holding up our zip line platform. it was 1.5 inches.

This is the first air rifle larger than 177 so I’m not used to this! I can’t wait to mount a scope on it and shoot it off a real bench.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Been running a Fx Impact a couple of years. 22 Cal , sports a Athlon Midas 4x16-44 that I like very much. Switch out the Athlon on occasion with a Sightmark Waith for night shooting rats at the barn. Almost exclusively shoot Nielsen Specialty Ammo's 28.5 grain slugs [.2165] .Deadly on ground squirrels ,barn rats ,crows and Eurasian Dove.

Just ordered the Barrel tensioning kit last week and should be installed wed and will retune after . Thought it was a little loud but could be because I was shooting some pellets while ratting . Worry about slugs passing thru and ricocheting around the horses . Will also order some Patriot Javelin Slugs and see how they perform though they can't group any better than the NSA's at 1k fps.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I ended up mounting a Vortex Diamondback 6-24 FFP on it. I’ve only shot pellets with it and not sure if I’ll mess with slugs or not. It’s doing everything I want with pellets right now and slugs sound like they can be a deep rabbit hole.

I need to put a bag rider on the stock as it’s difficult to shoot off a bench. Also thinking about adding a bipod. For the cost of these guns, both of these should be included…

I drew blood with it last week downing four pigeons that were hanging out on silos. Was using FX 25gr pellets and the ranges were 45-65 yards. All one shot kills.

New pellet order arrived last week with the box torn open and crushed along with most of the pellets tins showing damage. Replacement order should arrive in a week or so.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I ended up mounting a Vortex Diamondback 6-24 FFP on it. I’ve only shot pellets with it and not sure if I’ll mess with slugs or not. It’s doing everything I want with pellets right now and slugs sound like they can be a deep rabbit hole.

I need to put a bag rider on the stock as it’s difficult to shoot off a bench. Also thinking about adding a bipod. For the cost of these guns, both of these should be included…

I drew blood with it last week downing four pigeons that were hanging out on silos. Was using FX 25gr pellets and the ranges were 45-65 yards. All one shot kills.

New pellet order arrived last week with the box torn open and crushed along with most of the pellets tins showing damage. Replacement order should arrive in a week or so.

Nice. The 25 really does put the smackdown on pests.

I've got a couple 25's. Hatsan 125 Sniper, and Air Venturi Avenger.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 2 spring pistons, one in 17 and the other in 22. I bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL in 22 that I haven't been able to get any accuracy out of but I'm hoping it just needs to break in and settle. Then I've also been watching the YouTube channel of the guy in Africa and Ted's Holdover. They got me wanting to try the world of pcp rifles but I sure couldn't justify the FX guns they're using so I bought an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 and am thoroughly pleased with its accuracy. It even likes slugs also. I learned real quick that an electric pump was in order after feeling like I'd die of a heart attack using the bike pump looking thing. I would like to buy one of the FX rifles someday but I'm enjoying making parts and mods to my Gauntlet by using my gunsmithing and machining skills to see if I can push the envelope. These things really are addicting.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 2 spring pistons, one in 17 and the other in 22. I bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL in 22 that I haven't been able to get any accuracy out of but I'm hoping it just needs to break in and settle. Then I've also been watching the YouTube channel of the guy in Africa and Ted's Holdover. They got me wanting to try the world of pcp rifles but I sure couldn't justify the FX guns they're using so I bought an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 and am thoroughly pleased with its accuracy. It even likes slugs also. I learned real quick that an electric pump was in order after feeling like I'd die of a heart attack using the bike pump looking thing. I would like to buy one of the FX rifles someday but I'm enjoying making parts and mods to my Gauntlet by using my gunsmithing and machining skills to see if I can push the envelope. These things really are addicting.
I bought a used NP 22 with the long baffle tube on it that was clipping the pellet and throwing off the accuracy.

I unscrewed the baffle thing from the barrel and it shot a lot better.

Still doesn’t hang with my Blackhawk Elite 177 at long range, likely due to the more loopy trajectory. But the NP 22 is a hammer at shorter ranges.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot springers a lot when I was younger but I have a hard time with them now. This fall I got another PCP, a .22 caliber Weihrauch HW100S and I have really enjoyed shooting it. Accuracy is excellent and it has been deadly on squirrels shooting the 18 grain JSB Heavies. Quiet, light trigger, accurate and easy to shoot are characteristics of good PCPs from several different makers. And JSB make some great pellets. H&N does too but I seem to have better luck out of the JSB recently.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The guy that cuts my hair introduced me to pcp airguns. He keeps offering me his FX at a super price and I do want to try the 30 cal dedicated thing. He gave me a complete 600 MM 22 cal barrel and a Chinese compressor that has not failed me yet. Tops off my little 90 cubic inch carbon fiber tank and the 60 cubic foot carbon fiber tank.

Gotta have a bipod and a tripod and ball head. For barn shooting rats a mono pod works quite well, the Sightmark Wraith set up gets heavy fast as your constantly moving and looking up ,rats run on the walls top plate . Want to try hunting Nutria in the Delta here in Ca. at some point.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for a tripod, these things are the bomb.

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-DeathGrip-Lightweight-Adjustable-Hands-Free/dp/B07KMPCVMH?th=1

Great if you're using a fixed shooting position, a little cumbersome in the field - as in very cumbersome.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How do you find the gun for shooting left handed? Is the cocking lever moveable?
The information on the fx impact being ambi is pretty hard to find a confirmation on.
Thanks

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Disclaimer first. This is my first .25 caliber and it’s an FX Impact M3 700mm barrel. Before this and for 52 years I’ve only shot .177 air rifles, 2 springers and a pcp. So I’m not familiar with this kind of accuracy in an air rifle. I have a Kimber (of NY) 22 rimfire that will shoot like this but never saw it in an air gun.

It’s 21 degrees outside and dark. I’m shooting from inside my wood shop, heated to about 60, out the window. 30 yards to the target, I have an LED flashlight illuminating the target.

First, what I’m used too… All 5 shot groups except where noted.

FWB 124 JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .81”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.33”
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr .98”

Benjamin Marauder JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .84” (one flyer) and .38”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.88” (this is too light for this gun and not that accurate in the FWB either)
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr 1.17” (10 shot group)

The FWB 124 did well and outshot the Mrod with the JSB (one group) and the Benjamin Discover. I was pleasantly surprised by the old boy! I had one other pellet I should have tried in it. A Beeman HP that I think weighs 7gr. Next time…

Now comes the fun part, the Impact… Shooting the FX 25.39gr pellet. Not sure of the velocity now. I chronied it at 905fps with the wheel set at 16 but found earlier today this pellet grouped much better with it at 8.

From 1st group to last:
.037”
.25”
.10”
.16” 8 shots

Average group size: .1094

This is crazy, insane accuracy and I know it’s not even as good as others have shot. It’s amazing watching them go into the same hole, over and over.

What is even crazier is the FX 33.95gr pellet, with the wheel on 16 and cronied at 835 fps is about 50% more accurate than this pellet! I may have to test some more to see if I can make the lighter pellet even better. Loving this gun!!!!

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dan_H
How do you find the gun for shooting left handed? Is the cocking lever moveable?
The information on the fx impact being ambi is pretty hard to find a confirmation on.
Thanks

The cockling lever is movable. I just switched it to left hand yesterday and then put about 100 pellets through it. Honestly, I didn’t like it and am going to move it back to the right side. I’m use to shooting right handed bolt guns, been doing it for about 45 years so this is my first left handed “bolt” gun. Also, with the AR style grip, there is a lot of hand movement getting off the trigger and grip and then getting the hand back in position on the grip. With it on the right side, shooting from a bench, I can keep my left hand on the grip and trigger and also keep my right hand on the action handle. It’s much faster and more comfortable. When shooting not on a bench, the left hand on the grip is firm/substantial enough to hold the gun in place and work the action with my right hand.

That and I kept reaching for the bolt with my right hand and finding nothing making it kind of a frustrating shooting session.

Note on the magazine which looks like it will be in the way shooting the gun left handed. It is not, at least for me. My shooting style is to “lean” forward into the scope so the mag ends up behind my chin. I was concerned about this too before I bought the FX and it is not a bother at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you for the review.
Now to decide between FX and RAW 1000....decisions decisions

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great rifle that you got. FX has a rep for accuracy. I debated back and forth for weeks between getting an HW100S Weihrauch or a FX Dreamline Classic as I wanted a classicly styled rifle with a walnut stock. Nobody had the FX in stock so I got the HW and love it. It's a 22 caliber and the 18 gr JSB pellets are most accurate. Love shooting PCPs, quiet accuracy is fun! That .25 should be a superb squirrel smacker.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dan_H
Thank you for the review.
Now to decide between FX and RAW 1000....decisions decisions

Glad to help! Good luck with you decision. Flip a coin and then buy the gun you hoped it landed on!

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Sounds like a great rifle that you got. FX has a rep for accuracy. I debated back and forth for weeks between getting an HW100S Weihrauch or a FX Dreamline Classic as I wanted a classicly styled rifle with a walnut stock. Nobody had the FX in stock so I got the HW and love it. It's a 22 caliber and the 18 gr JSB pellets are most accurate. Love shooting PCPs, quiet accuracy is fun! That .25 should be a superb squirrel smacker.

I understand your desire for a classic looking rifle with a walnut stock. There’s a lot to be said about shooting a gun like that, they just feel right. That’s how I feel about my Kimber HS 22, still my favorite gun of all I have.

I can’t imagine anyone not liking a PCP unless they got a lemon as their first and only. I liked shooting the MRod when I got it but it kind of wore off because I only had a manual pump. Bought an electric pump when I got the FX and I know that greatly adds to my enthusiasm and pleasure. But the pure joy of shooting one, especially when they are insanely accurate is hard to describe to someone who hasn’t experienced it.

K
K
My good friend has been preaching about the joys of pcp airguns and finally the beginning of this year I bought a Wildcat MarkII in 25 caliber that had been massaged and tweaked a bit to the tune of 61ft lbs of energy with JSB 33.95 at 900 fps. Accuracy is amazing and at the same time boring after the 3rd shot because it just stacks them.

I know you weren't going down the slug rabbit hole, but I tried a few. Nelson 29.5 grain was the ticket for me, but this gun shoots almost anything I feed it well, including Hades and knockout slugs.

While the gun is more expensive than most of my powder burners, it's nice to send a few pennies down range instead of a few quarters with each pull of the trigger. I have a clear shooting path of 20 yards inside my house and use an old 22 rimfire pellet trap that I added some tar based sound deadening material to the outside to help with the "klang". A Huggett Snipe moderator cuts the Wildcat noise down to almost nothing and the ring from the pellet trap is minimal and insures that i can shoot whenever I want.

Oh and then a few months later I bought an older daystate air wolf in 22 caliber and the accuracy is again incredible, if one is good two is better!

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KeithV35
My good friend has been preaching about the joys of pcp airguns and finally the beginning of this year I bought a Wildcat MarkII in 25 caliber that had been massaged and tweaked a bit to the tune of 61ft lbs of energy with JSB 33.95 at 900 fps. Accuracy is amazing and at the same time boring after the 3rd shot because it just stacks them.

I know you weren't going down the slug rabbit hole, but I tried a few. Nelson 29.5 grain was the ticket for me, but this gun shoots almost anything I feed it well, including Hades and knockout slugs.

While the gun is more expensive than most of my powder burners, it's nice to send a few pennies down range instead of a few quarters with each pull of the trigger. I have a clear shooting path of 20 yards inside my house and use an old 22 rimfire pellet trap that I added some tar based sound deadening material to the outside to help with the "klang". A Huggett Snipe moderator cuts the Wildcat noise down to almost nothing and the ring from the pellet trap is minimal and insures that i can shoot whenever I want.

Oh and then a few months later I bought an older daystate air wolf in 22 caliber and the accuracy is again incredible, if one is good two is better!

Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…

I’m with you on the cost per shot. I’m still shooting powder burners really cheap with my own cast bullets, primers I paid 2 cents each for and light charges of pistol powder. But, a lot more time casting bullets and reloading (which I really enjoy) and then having to travel 15 minutes to my shooting range. The air guns I shoot in my back yard and the cheaper FX pellets I’m using are 6-7 cents each. Can’t buy a primer for that these days. Bullets start around 20 cents each for 22 caliber cheap ones and I don’t even want to talk about 30 caliber Sierras or the cost of rifle powder…

I’m envious of your indoor range. When we built our house, the basement was unfinished, free of obstructions and 90 feet long. I did shoot in it. Now it’s finished living space, still about 65 feet long that I could shoot but my wife has a fit! So shooting from my wood-shop is a good option, it’s 80 yards long but I have to deal with the wind and darkness. Still better than 30 minutes on the road and dealing with cold and or rain and the darkness!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You can shoot any of the FX Hybrid slugs with no problem and other brand mid weights too. You do need to rotate your barrel 180 degrees to align the larger transfer port in position. Then its all about tuning .

The M3 has a Superior liner and most like to go to the Superior Heavy liner if only heavy slugs are to be used. Lots of YouTube videos available to help.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/23/22.

K
K
[/quote]Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…[/quote]

450BM Mine has the superior standard liner, not the heavy slug barrel. If you can drive the 33.95 grains at 900 fps, I'd bet the 29.5 grain slugs would be accurate. Shooting the slugs reminds me of shooting wadcutters out of a revolver, nice clean cut holes.

Pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you to try, no sense buying a box if they won't shoot.

Now I'm jealous of your 80 yard range! At my buddy's house we have 35 and 50 yards set up. Not sure how many palm trees you have in PA, but a palm tree sliced like salami abut 10 inches thick and then sawed flat on the bottom makes a heck of pellet stop, quiet and effective. Just a tip.

Keith

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sidepass
You can shoot any of the FX Hybrid slugs with no problem and other brand mid weights too. You do need to rotate your barrel 180 degrees to align the larger transfer port in position. Then its all about tuning .

The M3 has a Superior liner and most like to go to the Superior Heavy liner if only heavy slugs are to be used. Lots of YouTube videos available to help.

Dang it, you guys are going to talk me into slugs and I just got 10 tins of pellets and have another 10 on the way… I guess the new barrels on the M3’s are designed to shoot both with the dual ports on the barrel. I’m just thrilled with pellets right now so it will be harder to impress me. And I kind of think I need a 22 barrel and set that up for slugs.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KeithV35
[/quote]Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…

450BM Mine has the superior standard liner, not the heavy slug barrel. If you can drive the 33.95 grains at 900 fps, I'd bet the 29.5 grain slugs would be accurate. Shooting the slugs reminds me of shooting wadcutters out of a revolver, nice clean cut holes.

Pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you to try, no sense buying a box if they won't shoot.

Now I'm jealous of your 80 yard range! At my buddy's house we have 35 and 50 yards set up. Not sure how many palm trees you have in PA, but a palm tree sliced like salami abut 10 inches thick and then sawed flat on the bottom makes a heck of pellet stop, quiet and effective. Just a tip.

Keith[/quote]

I’m sure I can get the 34’s to 900 fps but I’m really enjoying the high shot count so I don’t know if I want to. There is a guy on airgunnation that casts his own slugs. That really piques my interest because I cast for a lot of stuff now and that would be an easy direction to go.

I appreciate the offer on the slugs but I should pass. The thing is, I’m afraid they WILL shoot well and then I’ll have to buy a bunch and tell my wife how much I need them, how good they’ll shoot and well, you know…

My rifle range I can shoot up to 500 yards but, I don’t have a roof over my bench so I can only shoot in good weather. But yeah, the 80 yard range is a pretty nice setup!

Palm trees in Pennsylvania? Nope, way too cold here. We do have a lot of pine trees though and that is what I use for my 50 and 100 yard bullet “trap” at my powder burning range. Lead is getting hard to find and this is how I recycle it. I need to bring a couple of chunks home to capture pellets. I’d have the perfect lead to cast slugs with someday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$lugs are expensive! If pellets serve your needs I wouldn't get involved with them, the cost per shot gets out of hand quickly.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
$lugs are expensive! If pellets serve your needs I wouldn't get involved with them, the cost per shot gets out of hand quickly.

Yes they are! 25 cal FX brand pellets about 6 cents each, slugs are 16 cents. I’d have to invest about $120 to mold them but there’s no guarantee they will shoot well in my gun so I’m avoiding that for now too. I have about 7000 pellets on hand so I have plenty of shooting to do…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suggest that you get a PCP rifle in 22mag with a moderator built into the barrel. You wand to be able to adjust the power to keep it quieter. Also, being able to have a number of shots in a magazine is convenient.

PCP guns are noisier than 22lr so the moderator is important.

You also could shoot 22 subsonic rounds in a bolt action long barrel rifle and be real quiet.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
PCP in 22 mag?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Yes they are! 25 cal FX brand pellets about 6 cents each, slugs are 16 cents. I’d have to invest about $120 to mold them but there’s no guarantee they will shoot well in my gun so I’m avoiding that for now too. I have about 7000 pellets on hand so I have plenty of shooting to do…

The 31.2 NSA slugs cost me $.07 each . 5 to 10 shots a night ratting at the barn isn't that bad.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Your rifle - your choice
However, I was in a similar situation already having .177, hunting under 100 yds and on occasion shooting noise a consideration - although stealth not a concern.

My choice:
FX Dreamline Classic Walnut .30 cal PCP
I could not be happier with my choice and squirrel and rabbits encountered more unhappy.

Handles both slugs and pellets resolutely, which can be found cheaply on sale.
Laser accuracy when before wind would preclude.
Donny moderator included very effective and can be removed or upgraded if desired.
Balance and traditional looks could not fit better.
Trigger adjustable and unrivaled, 13 shot magazine capacity.

And no I do not post photos of a mess of dead squirrels, but pm me for grandma’s hasenpfeffer recipe if interested - (great for rabbit or squirrel)🦊

Last edited by moose95; 12/11/22.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Seems that Donny got a visit from ATF or DOJ and is not shipping out Moderators at the time being. If you need or want one might want to get it now before inventory at your favorite Airgun store is depleted.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just for anyone that may be following this thread for recommendations, I posted a bit ago about buying two air rifles one which was a Benjamin Trail NP XL that I couldn't get to shoot well. I tried everything including removing the plastic barrel shroud and a plethora of pellets and even slugs then two different scopes and it wouldn't even stay on paper at 50 yards so I sent it back. The other I got was an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 caliber that would shoot dime sized groups at the above mentioned distance but I had to have the windage maxed out on the scope. Come to find out the reciever was twisted pretty good. I dont know how as it was that way out of the box but it went back also. I wanted to buy another because of how well it shot but was scared that maybe they had a bad lot of them so I got an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 caliber that also shoots fantastic and likes an even larger selection of pellets AND slugs than the Gauntlet plus it's buttery smooth. I honestly enjoy these things more than my powder burners. I highly recommend the Avenger.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on finding something that can shoot. The build quality on many PCP's has a lot to be desired from my limited experience with them. I choose to deal with Pyramid Air and let them do the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade on a .22 Marauder and initial shoot in. Fortunately there were no surprises. It burns 18.13gr JSB Match heavys through one ragged hole at 30 yards. I've got a pile of dead squirrels, chipmunks, and a few rabbits to vouch for its accuracy.

And I agree, a PCP is far more handy than a powder burner for small varmint control. You can shoot them anywhere without disturbing the locals. Fun stuff for sure.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just for anyone that may be following this thread for recommendations, I posted a bit ago about buying two air rifles one which was a Benjamin Trail NP XL that I couldn't get to shoot well. I tried everything including removing the plastic barrel shroud and a plethora of pellets and even slugs then two different scopes and it wouldn't even stay on paper at 50 yards so I sent it back. The other I got was an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 caliber that would shoot dime sized groups at the above mentioned distance but I had to have the windage maxed out on the scope. Come to find out the reciever was twisted pretty good. I dont know how as it was that way out of the box but it went back also. I wanted to buy another because of how well it shot but was scared that maybe they had a bad lot of them so I got an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 caliber that also shoots fantastic and likes an even larger selection of pellets AND slugs than the Gauntlet plus it's buttery smooth. I honestly enjoy these things more than my powder burners. I highly recommend the Avenger.

I’ve seen good reviews of the Avenger and the price is great. How many shots are you getting on a full fill?

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Congrats on finding something that can shoot. The build quality on many PCP's has a lot to be desired from my limited experience with them. I choose to deal with Pyramid Air and let them do the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade on a .22 Marauder and initial shoot in. Fortunately there were no surprises. It burns 18.13gr JSB Match heavys through one ragged hole at 30 yards. I've got a pile of dead squirrels, chipmunks, and a few rabbits to vouch for its accuracy.

And I agree, a PCP is far more handy than a powder burner for small varmint control. You can shoot them anywhere without disturbing the locals. Fun stuff for sure.

I live in what’s called “rural boro” but I’d never get away shooting a 22 rf at my house. The air rifles I can shoot all day long and even shoot at night out my shop window. The pellet hitting the target makes more noise than the report. Having shot anything other than pigeons with it but that was impressive to say the least. Of course that’s comparing 25 caliber over .177 but still just as quiet and hits about 4 times harder. As much fun shooting as I’ve ever had!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I’ve seen good reviews of the Avenger and the price is great. How many shots are you getting on a full fill?
I want to say I got over 4 mags worth of shots and a magazine holds 8 rounds. I highly recommend it.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I want to say I got over 4 mags worth of shots and a magazine holds 8 rounds. I highly recommend it.

I get about 70 out of my .177 Marauder and 140 from my .25 Impact. Can sure go through pellets in a hurry with these two guns!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe I am oldfashioned but really like springers either breakbarrel or fixed. Both are accurate. Like HW line of airguns most but do own one Gamo also. Use .177 and .22 with JSB and H&N dome pellets.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 300grains
Maybe I am oldfashioned but really like springers either breakbarrel or fixed. Both are accurate. Like HW line of airguns most but do own one Gamo also. Use .177 and .22 with JSB and H&N dome pellets.

I was old fashioned too up until I shot my first PCP. I don’t like shooting my springers anymore, have one of them for sale and thinking of selling the other one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot springers and pumpers for their simple self sustainability. Less is more. Except I have way too many of them.

The springers are most convenient. And powerful.

The pumpers are lighter and more compact for the power level. Although not quite as powerful as the larger springer/gas rams.

The $50 pawn shop 22 Nitro Piston looks cheap and junky with it’s baffle tube removed and it’s skinny all-thread looking barrel exposed. The oddly shape kinda ugly plastic stock doesn’t feel natural when carrying it. But it’s a lightweight and fairly compact sledge hammer. The impact is many many times louder than the rifle itself.
For hunting/utility for the money, it can’t be beat.
In spite of how cheap and ugly it looks, I think it along with a custom 1377 carbine would make a nice pair. The 1377 for backpacking or for it’s ability to shoot less than full power.

PCP? Maybe some day.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I've got a couple Avengers. 22 and 25 cal. They can get quite a few shots on a fill depending on your reg pressure, and res fill pressure. I have my 22 tuned light, 1200 on the reg, fill to 3500. 100 shots with Crosman 14.3gr at 830 fps/approx 22 ft-lbs.

The 25 is tuned for power. 2200 on the reg, fill to 4300. 25.4gr JSB at 900 fps/46 ft-lbs for 40+ shots.

There is a good detailed series of articles on the Avenger here, This is the last segment, but links to the previous segments are at the bottom of this article.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/air-venturi-avenger-tune-overview-and-hand-pump-power-tune/

Here is a snapshot of different power tunes/reg settings/reservoir fills with the 22 cal,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.