Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My 7mm Rem Mag Barrel is about done. I’ve shot a lot of stuff with it, from Coyotes to Elk. Never let me down. Since most of my 7mm brass is also toast and everything is hard to find now; considering going to a .30 Cal magnum for the new tube. This was the same ol 7mm vs .300 question which has been done over and over.

I want to shoot a 175-200 grain bullet 3000-2900 fps. I don’t want to redline the cartridge as I have done with the 7RM. It’s a 700 action in an HS Precision stock with a Geissele trigger. I don’t shoot comps and shoot LR basically for fun at steel and stuff. The gun weighs about 9.5lbs as it is. I don’t notice the recoil. It’s a hunting rifle for open country deer 90% of the time. I have lighter rifles for Antelope and Elk tags are few and far between. Not interested in going below 7mm bullet diameter.

Considering.300 WM, .300 PRC or .300 RUM

Maybe a 7PRC as it will shoot the 175-195s 2900-3000 easily.

Maybe a .338.

The only one I have any components for is the .300 Win. I have brass and dies. Around here, .30 cal bullets are much more common than 7mm. I have a couple hundred 7mm bullets left. I need new brass for the 7RM. Barrels from HS are a ways out. I want an HS barrel. What would you build in todays crazy market. Another option is starting from scratch with a custom
Action and putting the 7RM back in its walnut furniture for retirement use.

Last edited by TakeEm; 09/16/22.

Isaiah 6:8

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go 7 RUM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 338 that pushes 225 grains at 2950 in a 26" Factory stainless spout on a Winchester Classic.... it is a pretty potent round for Elk, Bear , and Moose... recoil has never been an issue with the McMillan McSwirly stock. Great long range set up IMO...

Of the cartridges mentioned a big 7 pushing heavies would be a great choice also. In my view though, it wouldn't be a 7 RUM. I've researched the RUM rounds and find them to be too inefficient for the boat loads of powder you have to use to get them just a bit over velocities produced by more standard cases. And I know at least 3 guys personally who had 300 RUMs and got rid of them- too much recoil, extremely expensive ammo when you can find it, and even reloading for it was too expensive for the return on investment.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a 7-mm R.M. you can go with a 300 Win. Mag. Get a new barrel twist it at 1-10 inch. should work fine. I would stay away from a 300 RUM getting hard to find brass for that one. It may be on its way out with the 300-PRC out there.
Consult with a gunsmith with your needs. I would think, the 7-RUM may be on its way out with the 300-PRC out there and now they are starting to offer a 7-PRC; may be a while before reloading and factory ammo are available for that one.
Depending on what you want to do with your 300, if you are just wanting it for a hunting rifle; you would be in good shape with the 300 Winchester Mag.

Just an FYI: Your rifle would need some extra work done to it for any of the RUM or PRC cartages.

I hope this was a bit helpful.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd stick with a big 7 personally. 7 mashburn, 7 Practical etc. You really have to push a 300 hard to compete with the 7mm. With that you have to deal with a lot more recoil and use heavier bullets in the 30 cal. That's the selling point of the 7mm. High bc pills with less recoil. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you intend to shoot it I guess, but for a good 30 cal I'd go 300WBY before messing around with the Win mag.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I guess, but for a good 30 cal I'd go 300WBY before messing around with the Win mag.

For the increased velocity alone?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think Mechanics and forget The Fluff. A 24" 7mm RemMag on a 700,will scoot .796 BC 180's at 2900fps+ and easily. Hint.

HS makes good spouts and I've had a few,but Pre-Lon and haven't since. Hint.

Greg has multiple 8" RPM 7mm spouts on the shelf. I have him ship directly to The Kali Kid and I'd be shooting same in a week,with a 3.580" Smooch to the above bullet,which allows 190 Beer Cans too. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

FIXATE RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL,so dots are connected by default. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe consider the class 300 H&H? Can be loaded to match the 300 Win, smoothest loading / cycling 300 in existence, can be reamed to a 300 weatherby if you get bored with it someday. That’s what I’m having built currently.

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
7mm tube will be twisted 8 if I go that way.

.30 tube will be 9.5 or 10 if I go that way.

One person I know with the 7PRC is running those same bullets at 3100 easy. I’m leaning more toward the .30 for something different at this point. If I did another 7 it would be a PRC. I looked at the 7 ultra before and decided it wasn’t worth all the powder. 7 STW brass hard to find like everything thanks to uncle Joe.

For .30’s it’s the .300 Win or PRC pretty much. I also know a guy that had the .300 RUM and dropped it. H&H has panache but not what I’m looking for.

I wasn’t going to do another 7 until I had a long talk about the 7PRC. I don’t want to fire form brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm liking my 308 Norma Magnums.A 26" barrel gets you about the same velocities as a 24" 300 Win Mag and generous mag box length if you need it.Recoil is about like the 7mag.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you’re considering 7s again, might be worth giving the 28 Nosler a look, it’s on my short list of cartridges to try out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you’re bent on the 30’s I’d stick with the 300 Win myself. Great brass is everywhere I hate being shoehorned into one or two kinds of brass. With Lapua, RWS, ADG and other great options abound. Good stuff is there for the PRC but not easy to get.

Throated for a great bullet like the 208 or 212 ELD puts you in a decent place for bullets.

I think if you run the numbers a well set up 7 Rem or similar is really tough to whoop and the 7 will do it with a little less beating on the shoulder.

If you do a 30, I’d seriously look at an 8 or max 8.5 twist myself if you have any inclination of shooting the really aero stuff. It’ll shoot the shorter stuff fine as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Fhuqk,you Droolers are Fhuqking CLUELESS. Hint.

The 7mm RemMag has the case capacity advantage,over the 284 Prick and it will obviously do same,at like pressure. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The 300 H&H is a sceraming piece of fhuqking schit,due COAL/mag constraints. Same goes 300 Wby and or STW,if only because all are full length H&H. Hint.

The 308 Norma,is pissing up a rope too,thoug the best 30cal thus far cited,due mag constraints. You ladies keep forgetting a bullet goes atop your Goat Fhuqks. Hint.

Despite your Fhuqktardation and what you "think" you "know",the 7mm RemMag simply connects dots,as cited. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'retzs,

While the cited 208 and 212's are better than a buncha' 30cal. stuff,neither can match a .264 147's BC and that probably stings. The 208 is .690,the 212 .663 and the 147 .697...none of which is a .796 and I shoot them all. Hint.(grin)

In 30cal,you gotta go 225 ELD M and it's .777 BC,to crowd the 7mm 180's. Rest ASSURED,the 30's of like capacity,ain't gonna squirt the 225gr at anything approaching the 180's velocity. Though on the "bright" side,it will recoil a fhuqk of a lot more. Hint.(grin)

If you go Beer Can,the 7mm 190 tosses a .838BC,but the 30cal 250 has a .878 BC. GOOD "luck" on adding 60grs of mass and approaching the 190's Launch Speed,in like capacity. Hint.(grin)

Hell...190's in 7-06 SALAMI are fhuqking sensational. Hint.

Just sayin'................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'retzs,

While the cited 208 and 212's are better than a buncha' 30cal. stuff,neither can match a .264 147's BC and that probably stings. The 208 is .690,the 212 .663 and the 147 .697...none of which is a .796 and I shoot them all. Hint.(grin)

In 30cal,you gotta go 225 ELD M and it's .777 BC,to crowd the 7mm 180's. Rest ASSURED,the 30's of like capacity,ain't gonna squirt the 225gr at anything approaching the 180's velocity. Though on the "bright" side,it will recoil a fhuqk of a lot more. Hint.(grin)

If you go Beer Can,the 7mm 190 tosses a .838BC,but the 30cal 250 has a .878 BC. GOOD "luck" on adding 60grs of mass and approaching the 190's Launch Speed,in like capacity. Hint.(grin)

Hell...190's in 7-06 SALAMI are fhuqking sensational. Hint.

Just sayin'................

I’m with you, I’m a 7mm guy mostly, although I’ve been known to kick tires on a bunch of stuff.

If a guy is bent on more recoil for less ballistics then the 300 Win ain’t a bad deal if they just have to have a 308 magnum.

Hell, I’m messing around with the 168 TTSX at 3400 from my RUM, just cause. Sometimes you need to take the extra beating to really appreciate how well the 7’s work. Each to their own.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a Connecting Mechanical Dots Guy and will happily leave pissing up ropes,to others. Not that I don't enjoy the HILARITY associated. Hint.(grin)

Was assembling a new rifle yesterday,in a Make/Model and chambering I'd never even heard of. The scope,was new to me too. Mechanically though,it all aligns nicely. Hint.

Thoughts?!? Hint.

Laughing!...............

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re bent on the 30’s I’d stick with the 300 Win myself. Great brass is everywhere I hate being shoehorned into one or two kinds of brass. With Lapua, RWS, ADG and other great options abound. Good stuff is there for the PRC but not easy to get.

Throated for a great bullet like the 208 or 212 ELD puts you in a decent place for bullets.

I think if you run the numbers a well set up 7 Rem or similar is really tough to whoop and the 7 will do it with a little less beating on the shoulder.

If you do a 30, I’d seriously look at an 8 or max 8.5 twist myself if you have any inclination of shooting the really aero stuff. It’ll shoot the shorter stuff fine as well.

The Hornady book shows the 7RM topping out at 2900 with RL 26. Hodgdon shows it at 2900 with RS Magnum. How are you guys getting 3-3100 out of a 7 Mag with 175s?

I know the 7 is better ballistically. I’ve ran mine hard and have shot some spicy ones thru it chasing one thing or another. I want a cartridge that can shoot the heavy 7mms 3k easily.

Out of a .30 I want it to shoot 200-212 at the same speed. Im not wanting to shoot the super heavies.

Sort of the easy button. If the 7RM can do that im all ears.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sloowwwwwww the fhuqk down,forget what you "think" you "know" and simply read,then reflect upon the crystal clear pictures. HINT.

Forget an arbitrary velocity threshold and focus mechanics,logistics and what do what and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Running "hard" and "spicy",is simply fhuqking STUPID. If you shot even a smidge,you'd not be asking questions this fhuqking STUPID. Hint.

Again,the 284 Prick is shy of 7mm RemMag case capacity. 7mm RemMag brass simply fhuqking abounds,as do killer dies. Pressure is pressure and them birds are of a fhuqking feather. Hint.

Here is what a 24" 7mm RemMag does easily,as cited and Splendidly Pictured. Hint.

Hornady has to worry about all of you Fhuqking Retards and their data is for Schit Riggin',with their stated 3.290" COAL,which just "happens" to be VERY fhuqking different than 3.580" in a 700(who's typical box goes 3.690" in issued giuise). Things you should KNOW,beings you state having one. HINT.

The 30cal 200-12's are simply fhuqking HILARIOUS in comparison. Hint.

You are VERY obviously in wayyyyy over your pointy head. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Maybe consider the class 300 H&H? Can be loaded to match the 300 Win, smoothest loading / cycling 300 in existence, can be reamed to a 300 weatherby if you get bored with it someday. That’s what I’m having built currently.

The 300H&H is one of my favourites in my safe, but finding brass is trickier and it tends to stretch a bit more.

If it can be loaded to the 300WM, why not just build a 300WM ..... or as dumb dumb suggested, build a 7mag to custom specs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm a Connecting Mechanical Dots Guy and will happily leave pissing up ropes,to others. Not that I don't enjoy the HILARITY associated. Hint.(grin)

Was assembling a new rifle yesterday,in a Make/Model and chambering I'd never even heard of. The scope,was new to me too. Mechanically though,it all aligns nicely. Hint.

Thoughts?!? Hint.

Laughing!...............

No wonder I can’t find em, you’re hoarding all of the Montana 7’s…

I Went 7 Mashburn when I wanted something more than a 7 Rem. I didn’t need it, but in a 3.6 box with a correctly throated gun all of the good bullets work within the magazine and allow me to get on the lands. I gain 50-75 FPS over the Rem Mag but I do a lot of horseshit to make it.

The 7 Rem is an easy button if you’re building. What’s awesome and shiny right now is only cool if you can find great brass to really run it.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.