Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My 7mm Rem Mag Barrel is about done. I’ve shot a lot of stuff with it, from Coyotes to Elk. Never let me down. Since most of my 7mm brass is also toast and everything is hard to find now; considering going to a .30 Cal magnum for the new tube. This was the same ol 7mm vs .300 question which has been done over and over.

I want to shoot a 175-200 grain bullet 3000-2900 fps. I don’t want to redline the cartridge as I have done with the 7RM. It’s a 700 action in an HS Precision stock with a Geissele trigger. I don’t shoot comps and shoot LR basically for fun at steel and stuff. The gun weighs about 9.5lbs as it is. I don’t notice the recoil. It’s a hunting rifle for open country deer 90% of the time. I have lighter rifles for Antelope and Elk tags are few and far between. Not interested in going below 7mm bullet diameter.

Considering.300 WM, .300 PRC or .300 RUM

Maybe a 7PRC as it will shoot the 175-195s 2900-3000 easily.

Maybe a .338.

The only one I have any components for is the .300 Win. I have brass and dies. Around here, .30 cal bullets are much more common than 7mm. I have a couple hundred 7mm bullets left. I need new brass for the 7RM. Barrels from HS are a ways out. I want an HS barrel. What would you build in todays crazy market. Another option is starting from scratch with a custom
Action and putting the 7RM back in its walnut furniture for retirement use.

Last edited by TakeEm; 09/16/22.

Isaiah 6:8

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go 7 RUM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 338 that pushes 225 grains at 2950 in a 26" Factory stainless spout on a Winchester Classic.... it is a pretty potent round for Elk, Bear , and Moose... recoil has never been an issue with the McMillan McSwirly stock. Great long range set up IMO...

Of the cartridges mentioned a big 7 pushing heavies would be a great choice also. In my view though, it wouldn't be a 7 RUM. I've researched the RUM rounds and find them to be too inefficient for the boat loads of powder you have to use to get them just a bit over velocities produced by more standard cases. And I know at least 3 guys personally who had 300 RUMs and got rid of them- too much recoil, extremely expensive ammo when you can find it, and even reloading for it was too expensive for the return on investment.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a 7-mm R.M. you can go with a 300 Win. Mag. Get a new barrel twist it at 1-10 inch. should work fine. I would stay away from a 300 RUM getting hard to find brass for that one. It may be on its way out with the 300-PRC out there.
Consult with a gunsmith with your needs. I would think, the 7-RUM may be on its way out with the 300-PRC out there and now they are starting to offer a 7-PRC; may be a while before reloading and factory ammo are available for that one.
Depending on what you want to do with your 300, if you are just wanting it for a hunting rifle; you would be in good shape with the 300 Winchester Mag.

Just an FYI: Your rifle would need some extra work done to it for any of the RUM or PRC cartages.

I hope this was a bit helpful.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd stick with a big 7 personally. 7 mashburn, 7 Practical etc. You really have to push a 300 hard to compete with the 7mm. With that you have to deal with a lot more recoil and use heavier bullets in the 30 cal. That's the selling point of the 7mm. High bc pills with less recoil. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you intend to shoot it I guess, but for a good 30 cal I'd go 300WBY before messing around with the Win mag.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I guess, but for a good 30 cal I'd go 300WBY before messing around with the Win mag.

For the increased velocity alone?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think Mechanics and forget The Fluff. A 24" 7mm RemMag on a 700,will scoot .796 BC 180's at 2900fps+ and easily. Hint.

HS makes good spouts and I've had a few,but Pre-Lon and haven't since. Hint.

Greg has multiple 8" RPM 7mm spouts on the shelf. I have him ship directly to The Kali Kid and I'd be shooting same in a week,with a 3.580" Smooch to the above bullet,which allows 190 Beer Cans too. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

FIXATE RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL,so dots are connected by default. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe consider the class 300 H&H? Can be loaded to match the 300 Win, smoothest loading / cycling 300 in existence, can be reamed to a 300 weatherby if you get bored with it someday. That’s what I’m having built currently.

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
7mm tube will be twisted 8 if I go that way.

.30 tube will be 9.5 or 10 if I go that way.

One person I know with the 7PRC is running those same bullets at 3100 easy. I’m leaning more toward the .30 for something different at this point. If I did another 7 it would be a PRC. I looked at the 7 ultra before and decided it wasn’t worth all the powder. 7 STW brass hard to find like everything thanks to uncle Joe.

For .30’s it’s the .300 Win or PRC pretty much. I also know a guy that had the .300 RUM and dropped it. H&H has panache but not what I’m looking for.

I wasn’t going to do another 7 until I had a long talk about the 7PRC. I don’t want to fire form brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm liking my 308 Norma Magnums.A 26" barrel gets you about the same velocities as a 24" 300 Win Mag and generous mag box length if you need it.Recoil is about like the 7mag.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
If you’re considering 7s again, might be worth giving the 28 Nosler a look, it’s on my short list of cartridges to try out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you’re bent on the 30’s I’d stick with the 300 Win myself. Great brass is everywhere I hate being shoehorned into one or two kinds of brass. With Lapua, RWS, ADG and other great options abound. Good stuff is there for the PRC but not easy to get.

Throated for a great bullet like the 208 or 212 ELD puts you in a decent place for bullets.

I think if you run the numbers a well set up 7 Rem or similar is really tough to whoop and the 7 will do it with a little less beating on the shoulder.

If you do a 30, I’d seriously look at an 8 or max 8.5 twist myself if you have any inclination of shooting the really aero stuff. It’ll shoot the shorter stuff fine as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Fhuqk,you Droolers are Fhuqking CLUELESS. Hint.

The 7mm RemMag has the case capacity advantage,over the 284 Prick and it will obviously do same,at like pressure. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The 300 H&H is a sceraming piece of fhuqking schit,due COAL/mag constraints. Same goes 300 Wby and or STW,if only because all are full length H&H. Hint.

The 308 Norma,is pissing up a rope too,thoug the best 30cal thus far cited,due mag constraints. You ladies keep forgetting a bullet goes atop your Goat Fhuqks. Hint.

Despite your Fhuqktardation and what you "think" you "know",the 7mm RemMag simply connects dots,as cited. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'retzs,

While the cited 208 and 212's are better than a buncha' 30cal. stuff,neither can match a .264 147's BC and that probably stings. The 208 is .690,the 212 .663 and the 147 .697...none of which is a .796 and I shoot them all. Hint.(grin)

In 30cal,you gotta go 225 ELD M and it's .777 BC,to crowd the 7mm 180's. Rest ASSURED,the 30's of like capacity,ain't gonna squirt the 225gr at anything approaching the 180's velocity. Though on the "bright" side,it will recoil a fhuqk of a lot more. Hint.(grin)

If you go Beer Can,the 7mm 190 tosses a .838BC,but the 30cal 250 has a .878 BC. GOOD "luck" on adding 60grs of mass and approaching the 190's Launch Speed,in like capacity. Hint.(grin)

Hell...190's in 7-06 SALAMI are fhuqking sensational. Hint.

Just sayin'................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'retzs,

While the cited 208 and 212's are better than a buncha' 30cal. stuff,neither can match a .264 147's BC and that probably stings. The 208 is .690,the 212 .663 and the 147 .697...none of which is a .796 and I shoot them all. Hint.(grin)

In 30cal,you gotta go 225 ELD M and it's .777 BC,to crowd the 7mm 180's. Rest ASSURED,the 30's of like capacity,ain't gonna squirt the 225gr at anything approaching the 180's velocity. Though on the "bright" side,it will recoil a fhuqk of a lot more. Hint.(grin)

If you go Beer Can,the 7mm 190 tosses a .838BC,but the 30cal 250 has a .878 BC. GOOD "luck" on adding 60grs of mass and approaching the 190's Launch Speed,in like capacity. Hint.(grin)

I’m with you, I’m a 7mm guy mostly, although I’ve been known to kick tires on a bunch of stuff.

If a guy is bent on more recoil for less ballistics then the 300 Win ain’t a bad deal if they just have to have a 308 magnum.

Hell, I’m messing around with the 168 TTSX at 3400 from my RUM, just cause. Sometimes you need to take the extra beating to really appreciate how well the 7’s work. Each to their own.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a Connecting Mechanical Dots Guy and will happily leave pissing up ropes,to others. Not that I don't enjoy the HILARITY associated. Hint.(grin)

Was assembling a new rifle yesterday,in a Make/Model and chambering I'd never even heard of. The scope,was new to me too. Mechanically though,it all aligns nicely. Hint.

Thoughts?!? Hint.

Laughing!...............

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re bent on the 30’s I’d stick with the 300 Win myself. Great brass is everywhere I hate being shoehorned into one or two kinds of brass. With Lapua, RWS, ADG and other great options abound. Good stuff is there for the PRC but not easy to get.

Throated for a great bullet like the 208 or 212 ELD puts you in a decent place for bullets.

I think if you run the numbers a well set up 7 Rem or similar is really tough to whoop and the 7 will do it with a little less beating on the shoulder.

If you do a 30, I’d seriously look at an 8 or max 8.5 twist myself if you have any inclination of shooting the really aero stuff. It’ll shoot the shorter stuff fine as well.

The Hornady book shows the 7RM topping out at 2900 with RL 26. Hodgdon shows it at 2900 with RS Magnum. How are you guys getting 3-3100 out of a 7 Mag with 175s?

I know the 7 is better ballistically. I’ve ran mine hard and have shot some spicy ones thru it chasing one thing or another. I want a cartridge that can shoot the heavy 7mms 3k easily.

Out of a .30 I want it to shoot 200-212 at the same speed. Im not wanting to shoot the super heavies.

Sort of the easy button. If the 7RM can do that im all ears.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sloowwwwwww the fhuqk down,forget what you "think" you "know" and simply read,then reflect upon the crystal clear pictures. HINT.

Forget an arbitrary velocity threshold and focus mechanics,logistics and what do what and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Running "hard" and "spicy",is simply fhuqking STUPID. If you shot even a smidge,you'd not be asking questions this fhuqking STUPID. Hint.

Again,the 284 Prick is shy of 7mm RemMag case capacity. 7mm RemMag brass simply fhuqking abounds,as do killer dies. Pressure is pressure and them birds are of a fhuqking feather. Hint.

Here is what a 24" 7mm RemMag does easily,as cited and Splendidly Pictured. Hint.

Hornady has to worry about all of you Fhuqking Retards and their data is for Schit Riggin',with their stated 3.290" COAL,which just "happens" to be VERY fhuqking different than 3.580" in a 700(who's typical box goes 3.690" in issued giuise). Things you should KNOW,beings you state having one. HINT.

The 30cal 200-12's are simply fhuqking HILARIOUS in comparison. Hint.

You are VERY obviously in wayyyyy over your pointy head. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Maybe consider the class 300 H&H? Can be loaded to match the 300 Win, smoothest loading / cycling 300 in existence, can be reamed to a 300 weatherby if you get bored with it someday. That’s what I’m having built currently.

The 300H&H is one of my favourites in my safe, but finding brass is trickier and it tends to stretch a bit more.

If it can be loaded to the 300WM, why not just build a 300WM ..... or as dumb dumb suggested, build a 7mag to custom specs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a Connecting Mechanical Dots Guy and will happily leave pissing up ropes,to others. Not that I don't enjoy the HILARITY associated. Hint.(grin)

Was assembling a new rifle yesterday,in a Make/Model and chambering I'd never even heard of. The scope,was new to me too. Mechanically though,it all aligns nicely. Hint.

Thoughts?!? Hint.

Laughing!...............

No wonder I can’t find em, you’re hoarding all of the Montana 7’s…

I Went 7 Mashburn when I wanted something more than a 7 Rem. I didn’t need it, but in a 3.6 box with a correctly throated gun all of the good bullets work within the magazine and allow me to get on the lands. I gain 50-75 FPS over the Rem Mag but I do a lot of horseshit to make it.

The 7 Rem is an easy button if you’re building. What’s awesome and shiny right now is only cool if you can find great brass to really run it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SuperKchunt,

A well done 7-08,will kick the fhuqk outta your 300 H&H...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and the only way to connect dots is Mechanics. Hint.

Now even you "know". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

'retzs,

It's the first one I've ever seen. Hint.(grin)

I've done a coupla STW's and feel your pain. The 7mm RemMag has long been THE pinnacle,in regards to .532" most for least. Hint.

I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul now,by stealing 300 Whizzum mag guts from a CRF S/S 70,to poke in my 264 Kreed S/S CRF 70. Fhuqking mag box shims!?! Hint.(grin)

Nice having a "few" rifles to pinch parts from,in order to confirm a "hunch". Hint.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TakeEm
My 7mm Rem Mag Barrel is about done. I’ve shot a lot of stuff with it, from Coyotes to Elk. Never let me down. Since most of my 7mm brass is also toast and everything is hard to find now; considering going to a .30 Cal magnum for the new tube. This was the same ol 7mm vs .300 question which has been done over and over.

I want to shoot a 175-200 grain bullet 3000-2900 fps. I don’t want to redline the cartridge as I have done with the 7RM. It’s a 700 action in an HS Precision stock with a Geissele trigger. I don’t shoot comps and shoot LR basically for fun at steel and stuff. The gun weighs about 9.5lbs as it is. I don’t notice the recoil. It’s a hunting rifle for open country deer 90% of the time. I have lighter rifles for Antelope and Elk tags are few and far between. Not interested in going below 7mm bullet diameter.

Considering.300 WM, .300 PRC or .300 RUM

Maybe a 7PRC as it will shoot the 175-195s 2900-3000 easily.

Maybe a .338.

The only one I have any components for is the .300 Win. I have brass and dies. Around here, .30 cal bullets are much more common than 7mm. I have a couple hundred 7mm bullets left. I need new brass for the 7RM. Barrels from HS are a ways out. I want an HS barrel. What would you build in todays crazy market. Another option is starting from scratch with a custom
Action and putting the 7RM back in its walnut furniture for retirement use.

What is your realistic max distance when hunting?
H-S barrels have always shot well for me, but I am also happy with Brux, Kreiger, and Bartlein. I have been using more Lilja and Hart barrels recently as well. Lot of good barrel makers out there.
If the 7RM does everything you want, why do you want to jump to a 30 cal?
If you want it, because you want it-Cool.
Personally, 7mm's have always been my favorite for hunting up through elk.
I have not hunted anything larger than that though.
I also use 6mm's, 25's, and 6.5's for deer and antelope, and I have taken some elk with several different 6.5's.
If you want a 30, get one-It is your money.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had multiples of every barrel Maker thus far cited and more than a few which haven't. No excuse for purchasing HS,Post-Lon. HINT.

Now as to the evening's mechanics...it weren't so bad. Hint.

Empties fling,as far as one cares to launch and a 147 magfed Smooch is more than touch "comforting". Hint.

OEM 300 Whizzum box tossed in the Kreed' and a simple shorten/reshape of the Kreed ejector,completed the project. Midwest' had S/S Whizzum boxes in stock and replacement is on the way. Hint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The lying big mouth no killin biitch, we’re huntin here, not floppin on mats on loggin roads, not shootin 1200 yards with fixed 6x scopes at train cars, actually real life killin. No imagination and pretend draw tags, not riding the “coattails” of imaginary “Pards”, some of us actually buy non resident tags, and hunt.

I’ve noticed you’ve wasted the best part of your season, continually running your fat yap, when you could be hammering alpine bucks. Guess kelpfed beach bucks, and spotlighted rutted up dummies are more your style… kudos hog neck??? You poor washed up worthless fuuck👊🏻

Fuucking laughing………………

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do hear, you’re nice on the phone though!!!! Haha 😂😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Where I hunt, I can often see for miles. The farthest I’ve taken a shot at a game animal was 600 and change. I did that with a .300 WSM and 210 Bergers. I don’t care to shoot at a big game animal much farther than that.

H-S Precision is fifteen miles from my house. I’ve done plenty of business there and I know if something didn’t work, they’d take care of me.

When I say I’ve ran my 7RM hard, that means I worked up loads until accuracy fell off while getting the most velocity possible. If that means I’m dumb, so be it. Some loads worked up with were a bit warm looking back.

I’m sure .300 or 7 PRC brass will be hard to find. I currently have 7RM and .300 WM brass and dies. Yeah, I know 200-212 even 220 .30s can’t hang with 180 7s.

I kinda want a .30 just because. Dumb I know.

I did consider the 28 Nosler as I actually see brass for it regularly. Maybe I’ll see if I can find some 175 ELDXs and see if they’ll stabilize in my current tube.

I’ll say again if the 7RM can push those bullets 2900, awesome. The guy at HS told me he’s pushing them 3-3100 out of the PRC which is what peaked my interest in it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,Lon Horiuchi wasn't/isn't worth a fhuqk,but HS hired him after proving same(Ruby Ridge AND fhuqking Waco). I drove some HS spouts and more than a few stocks prior,but not post. Hint.

The relationship of accuracy/precision to pressure,ain't lineal. Though more than a few disciplines,firewall same. Hint.

There's no "if" related to case capacity and the 284 Prick ain't fhuqking MAGICAL,nor of an innate ability to defy Physics,no matter what the nice lady said. Hint.

A Factory 700 7mm RemMag will HAPPILY stabilize .796 180 ELD M's,even at low tide,in the dead of Winter. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SuperKchunt,

A well done 7-08,will kick the fhuqk outta your 300 H&H...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and the only way to connect dots is Mechanics. Hint.

I'm ok with that pearl of wisdom concerning my 300H&H. There's always something better. smile

The 7-08 is a good choice for a lot of hunting. The last moose I shot was with my 7x57 with 160gr NPs which is similar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TakeEm
Where I hunt, I can often see for miles. The farthest I’ve taken a shot at a game animal was 600 and change. I did that with a .300 WSM and 210 Bergers. I don’t care to shoot at a big game animal much farther than that.

I’m sure .300 or 7 PRC brass will be hard to find. I currently have 7RM and .300 WM brass and dies. Yeah, I know 200-212 even 220 .30s can’t hang with 180 7s.

I kinda want a .30 just because. Dumb I know.

We are about two hours apart, as I live in Gillette.
I know Josh at H-S. Good guy, and he shoots good as well.
In recent years he has been competing some in PRS and NRL.

If you want a 30 because you want a 30, get one.
If 600 yard is your max, anything you mentioned will work more than good enough.
My next build is a 30 as well...300 RSAUM. I originally had a 30 Nosler or the 300 PRC in mind, but when it came down to what I wanted, they had more recoil for what I wanted in this build. Sold my 300 PRC brass, I think I still have the 30 Nosler though...
I already had a good stash of Norma 300 SAUM brass, and it will work great for my application (Center-Grip Remington XP-100)
Tim King of King Custom outside of Rapid, is doing the build for me.
Plan on using the 166 Hammer Hunters. Mule deer and elk mainly.
More of a 600 yard and under gun. More likely the 200 yards to 500-550ish yards
I have some big 6.5's and 7's if I want to stretch things out.
The 175 ELD-X has great accuracy for me in my 7mm Dakota, and have taken one mule deer, and a handful of elk with it.
Reloader 33 has worked great for me in my 7 Dak and my 26 Nos with the 147's. So far I have only killed antelope with my 26 Nosler.
The 26 Nosler and the 7mm Dakota are both center-grip XP's, so the longer barreled versions, will even have higher MV's.

Get what you want.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 700 Classic 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions is scary accurate. I liked it so much I bought a second one.

I also have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 200 grain partitions accurately.

Both with RE26 pushing the partition out the barrel. Although I have one larger rifle a 375 H&H AI, I would likely carry the Weatherby for the biggest meanest animals I’d likely shoot. (I’m too old to go to Africa on Safari)

If I could only keep one, Winchester or Weatherby, it would be the Weatherby.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A .481 BC .308" 200 grainer,is nothing but fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I agree.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, if you're going to build a custom you might as well check as many boxes as you can. And there are better boxes....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not do the easy thing and make it a 300 Weatherby. It is a bit faster than the 300 Winchester and not the canon the big 300's are. You will get the most for the least with the Weatherby.

I am betting that somewhere soon, Big Stick will pollute this thread again, but needless to say, regardless of his interference, the Weatherby does continue to shine as a 300 magnum. It is also a great old cartridge developed in the infancy of magnums.

P.S. When all you do is shoot rocks and your mouth off, there isn't much left to do but post stupid findings with no history of even shooting anything bigger than a Sitka deer or a bear and conclusions from that can be successfully extrapolated to an honorable mention in the school of loser retards...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have had about all the older .300s. Still my favorite of all. I would go with the Win. You have dies and brass . With a 26 in. barrel the speeds you are looking at no problem.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
schitsmell,

I enjoy how your Imagination and Pretend,so RELIABLY takes you to places that don't exist and how you like to prove same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep trying,because you are doing fhuqking "GREAT!",you AMAZINGLY Inept Clueless Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bacon throat!!! Keep bambling/rambling you gargling donkey!!! 😂😘

I went 8” on my prc. No loudner, cut @24”. I like it.👊🏻

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload img

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Why not do the easy thing and make it a 300 Weatherby. It is a bit faster than the 300 Winchester and not the canon the big 300's are. You will get the most for the least with the Weatherby.

I am betting that somewhere soon, Big Stick will pollute this thread again, but needless to say, regardless of his interference, the Weatherby does continue to shine as a 300 magnum. It is also a great old cartridge developed in the infancy of magnums.

P.S. When all you do is shoot rocks and your mouth off, there isn't much left to do but post stupid findings with no history of even shooting anything bigger than a Sitka deer or a bear and conclusions from that can be successfully extrapolated to an honorable mention in the school of loser retards...

Originally Posted by Bugger
My 700 Classic 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions is scary accurate. I liked it so much I bought a second one.

I also have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 200 grain partitions accurately.

Both with RE26 pushing the partition out the barrel. Although I have one larger rifle a 375 H&H AI, I would likely carry the Weatherby for the biggest meanest animals I’d likely shoot. (I’m too old to go to Africa on Safari)

If I could only keep one, Winchester or Weatherby, it would be the Weatherby.

I agree...^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
beezer'

Any "luck" with stuffing them 108's...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have had about all the older .300s. Still my favorite of all. I would go with the Win. You have dies and brass . With a 26 in. barrel the speeds you are looking at no problem.

+1

schitsmell,

I enjoy how your Imagination and Pretend,so RELIABLY takes you to places that don't exist and how you like to prove same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep trying,because you are doing fhuqking "GREAT!",you AMAZINGLY Inept Clueless Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint.

Lol

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xphunter
[quote=TakeEm]

We are about two hours apart, as I live in Gillette.
I know Josh at H-S. Good guy, and he shoots good as well.
In recent years he has been competing some in PRS and NRL.

If you want a 30 because you want a 30, get one.
If 600 yard is your max, anything you mentioned will work more than good enough.
My next build is a 30 as well...300 RSAUM. I originally had a 30 Nosler or the 300 PRC in mind, but when it came down to what I wanted, they had more recoil for what I wanted in this build. Sold my 300 PRC brass, I think I still have the 30 Nosler though...
I already had a good stash of Norma 300 SAUM brass, and it will work great for my application (Center-Grip Remington XP-100)
Tim King of King Custom outside of Rapid, is doing the build for me.
Plan on using the 166 Hammer Hunters. Mule deer and elk mainly.
More of a 600 yard and under gun. More likely the 200 yards to 500-550ish yards
I have some big 6.5's and 7's if I want to stretch things out.
The 175 ELD-X has great accuracy for me in my 7mm Dakota, and have taken one mule deer, and a handful of elk with it.
Reloader 33 has worked great for me in my 7 Dak and my 26 Nos with the 147's. So far I have only killed antelope with my 26 Nosler.
The 26 Nosler and the 7mm Dakota are both center-grip XP's, so the longer barreled versions, will even have higher MV's.

Get what you want.

Yes Josh is a great guy, he is who I was talking with about the 7PRC. At this point I’ll try some 175 ELDXs in mine if I find some. Going to try the 168 Berger this year in it. Not going to bother with 180 match bullets because it’s a hunting rifle.

The other thing I am considering is the additional punch a .30 has with 200gr plus bullets for Elk and up. I have shot steel to 800 but not where I am comfortable shooting game
That far yet. Yeah the 7 is capable and I have used it in Elk with no problems.

300 WBY-seems like I’m giving up COAL when I could go 26” Win Mag for same speeds and have room in the Mag box. My 7 has a 26” barrel.

For .30’s the Win Mag has Lapua brass available and set up/built for a longer bullets, it’s right there with the PRC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have the new 7mm PRC, but I do have a 18" 7mm-300 PRC, and I run 190's at 2753.
For deer I would use the 7mm 180 grain ELD-M's without hesitation in a 7mm PRC, 7RM, 7mm LRM, 280AI.
In my old 7 SAUM XP-100, I used the 162 grain A-Max's for deer and antelope, and they never failed me. Since I am using shorter barrels, than most my MV's will also be slower, so the 180 ELD-M should work great in rifles. The new M's may open up just a smidgen faster than the older A-Max's. Maybe because of the new tip....I am not sure why, but that seems to be the case.

With the cartridges you are mentioning, your impact velocities will be high enough to work with about any bullet you decide to choose with a max distance of 600 yards.
With the Berger's, I would make 2000 fps my minimum impact velocity.
I have had iffy performance with Berger's on game, so I have started using other bullets.

When it comes to elk, I don't think you can go wrong with a 7mm or a 30 cal., but I would use my 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, or 26 Nosler for elk.
7mm has always been my favorite caliber for elk. Not saying it is the best, it is just what I like.

Last year, I hunted with a 280AI and a 6.5 PRC for my cow/calf tag. Filled the tag with my 6.5 PRC. When I decided to use the 6.5 PRC, I didn't take the time to put a lighter weight/slimmer profile scope on it (I had it set-up for distance), but it still worked just fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
300 Win Mag is never a mistake, my 700 action allows 3.675" COL's, 230 OTM's over 79gr Retumbo for 2890 dont suck either.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
300 Win Mag is never a mistake, my 700 action allows 3.675" COl's, 230 OTM's over 79gr Retumbo for 2890 dont suck either.

Those were pretty wicked in my RUM at 3050 as well, accuracy wise. Never shot into fur.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
300 Win Mag is never a mistake, my 700 action allows 3.675" COl's, 230 OTM's over 79gr Retumbo for 2890 dont suck either.

Those were pretty wicked in my RUM at 3050 as well, accuracy wise. Never shot into fur.

Yep, me either Big B, they gotta have a lotta chitcan to impart ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d think so. I’ve always been too chicken to run them while hunting.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir, they are fun on 1125 yard steel though.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Shooting the 230 OTM at 3075 fps from my 300 NMI and plan to use it this year for a cow elk tag I have. Worked just fine on a buddies bear at a bit over 350 yds today. Shot broadside in the shoulder crease which was bang flop with about a 2.5” exit.

As to the OP unless I was set on the .30’s I would rebarrel with a 1:8 7mm barrel of choice throated to run the 180 eld’s with room in the mag to chase the lands. Have owned a handful of 7’s so chambered and had no issues getting over 3k with Retumbo or R26

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep, me either Big B, they gotta have a lotta chitcan to impart ; ]

Hey, what's wrong with you 2. Haven't you heard. We shouldn't be shooting at game further away than 100 yards because the animal can't hear the shot, so it's unsportsmanlike.. Or something to that affect.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
30-338.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Shooting the 230 OTM at 3075 fps from my 300 NMI and plan to use it this year for a cow elk tag I have. Worked just fine on a buddies bear at a bit over 350 yds today. Shot broadside in the shoulder crease which was bang flop with about a 2.5” exit.

As to the OP unless I was set on the .30’s I would rebarrel with a 1:8 7mm barrel of choice throated to run the 180 eld’s with room in the mag to chase the lands. Have owned a handful of 7’s so chambered and had no issues getting over 3k with Retumbo or R26

Thanks MA. I think I could use them and was going to this year, but I had issues getting ahold of any extra for the year, so I scrubbed them off the plate. Maybe this coming year I'll make a conscious effort to try them out.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The 30 Nosler is the most modern 30 cal case design.
It fits well in a Remington with out a Wyatt upgrade, it needs very little rail work to feed smooth and
it’s pretty good with 210 Berger’s.

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't have the new 7mm PRC, but I do have a 18" 7mm-300 PRC, and I run 190's at 2753.
For deer I would use the 7mm 180 grain ELD-M's without hesitation in a 7mm PRC, 7RM, 7mm LRM, 280AI.
In my old 7 SAUM XP-100, I used the 162 grain A-Max's for deer and antelope, and they never failed me. Since I am using shorter barrels, than most my MV's will also be slower, so the 180 ELD-M should work great in rifles. The new M's may open up just a smidgen faster than the older A-Max's. Maybe because of the new tip....I am not sure why, but that seems to be the case.

With the cartridges you are mentioning, your impact velocities will be high enough to work with about any bullet you decide to choose with a max distance of 600 yards.
I have had iffy performance with Berger's on game, so I have started using other bullets.

When it comes to elk, I don't think you can go wrong with a 7mm or a 30 cal., but I would use my 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, or 26 Nosler for elk.
7mm has always been my favorite caliber for elk. Not saying it is the best, it is just what I like.

Last year, I hunted with a 280AI and a 6.5 PRC for my cow/calf tag. Filled the tag with my 6.5 PRC. When I decided to use the 6.5 PRC, I didn't take the time to put a lighter weight/slimmer profile scope on it (I had it set-up for distance), but it still worked just fine.

Super cool, great work! Do you have a hair trigger on that beautiful handgun?

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/26/22.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rekobeez
The 30 Nosler is the most modern 30 cal case design.
It fits well in a Remington with out a Wyatt upgrade, it needs very little rail work to feed smooth and
it’s pretty good with 210 Berger’s.

300 prc?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
30Nosler has more case capacity and a better shoulder angle and neck. The neck is not by much but.

Last edited by Rekobeez; 09/26/22.

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rekobeez
30Nosler has more case capacity and a better shoulder angle and neck.

1 - true
2 - with pronouncements like this, you’ll fit right in around here. Welcome to the fire.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
7mm Hart...1/8 barrel...180gr ELD or a 150gr SuperBulldozer... done.

If you must have a 30 cal then the 30 Nosler is worth a look.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I will take your word that 300 Wthby is good if you want to pretend you shot a moose with a lever gun.

On the other hand this is the LRH forum so??

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Super cool, great work! Do you have a hair trigger on that beautiful handgun?

It does have a Dell Trigger (LIGHT), and since it is a single shot, I don't load it till I am ready to use it.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.300 Winchester Magnum, 230 Berger OTM at 2750

840 yards

.300 Winchester Magnum, 230 Berger OTM AT 2750 after three days of 3 mile walk-through courses and about 150 rounds…

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone used the .308” Barnes 212 LRX “Bore-Rider” ?

Seems like a .705 G1 @2900 wouldn’t suck.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
.300 Win Mag is the easy button. Recently took the path less traveled and had a LH Win M70 rebarreled for .300H&H with a 1:8" barrel. Why an 8" twist barrel? For the same reason I chose the .300H&H. Because that is what I wanted. And yes, the .300H&H's have been the absolute slickest feeding rifles I have ever owned...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a slick rig!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The seven is your huckleberry:

"I want to shoot a 175-200 grain bullet 3000-2900 fps"

7 PRC. Recoil matters. A lot.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Any blood yet?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not yet, waitin for a elk tag, hunt musket here

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Orion2000
.300 Win Mag is the easy button. Recently took the path less traveled and had a LH Win M70 rebarreled for .300H&H with a 1:8" barrel. Why an 8" twist barrel? For the same reason I chose the .300H&H. Because that is what I wanted. And yes, the .300H&H's have been the absolute slickest feeding rifles I have ever owned...
What bullet are you going to shoot?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Milkfever

Anyone he wants grin

Jud, that 300 turned out really nice. Shot it yet?

A good 300 is still a damned awesome bull/buck getter!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scotty, got er tuned in with 225 factory fodder, shoots great. Recoil isn’t as stiff as I expected either. Should be a hammer👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scotty, got er tuned in with 225 factory fodder, shoots great. Recoil isn’t as stiff as I expected either. Should be a hammer👍

I think that should really work to twice as far as I can shoot!

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
If I had a shot out 7mm tube and was very familiar with the previous 7mm Rem Mag and had die set I’d rebarrel with same chamber with 1-8 twist and throat to my bullet specifications. Set this way the 7PRC will not give you anything above what you already have.

For a .30 mag and available components and ammunition in a pinch, the 300 Win Mag is an extremely proven big game chamber. Shooting 150-220 grain loadings with 1-10 twist will suffice nicely. In all honesty how many game animals will you shoot at 1,000 yards. The 300 Win Mag has downed more big game at long range than most any other chamber. The military has utilized the 300 Win Mag at extreme distances for sniper work for many years. Lots of data out there on the 300 Win Magnum for use as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It hurts 30cal Feelers right regular,to extrapolate a 21" 7-08 and a 180 ELD at 2600fps,to the things they swoon. Hint.

MK 248 MOD 1 fodder here(220 SMK at 2850fps),in "special" chambers. Hint.

21" 7-08 here,with 180 at 2600fps. Hint.

Bullets matter a "smidge" ladies. Hint................(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Comparing a 220 SMK in .308 with a B.C. .629 to a 180 Hornady in 7mm, with a B.C. of .796 is simply deceptive... but that is your "schtick" isn't it?
Maybe a more shall we say honest comparison would be Hornady .308 eld match 230 gr. with a B.C. of .823 then things don't look so good for the 7MM-08

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am VERY fhuqking "surprised" that a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,enters her Hurt Feelers and quantifies her Professional Victim status...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

MK 248 MOD 1 is the best pitch,as per the Post prior to mine,in the role cited. Hint.

The 30cal Hurt Feelers Club is huge and fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Larry if you are going to accuse everyone else of lying, at least make an attempt at honesty yourself.... many people these days understand the concept of " projection" so try a little harder to be more deceptive.... jeesh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon simplistic Facts,upsetting you so,as you reiterate that you are a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps go the extra mile and quantify how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you fill out your next Hurt Feelers Report and quantify your Professional Victim status. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon simplistic Facts,upsetting you so,as you reiterate that you are a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps go the extra mile and quantify how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you fill out your next Hurt Feelers Report and quantify your Professional Victim status. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Facts? you mean like a 308 230 hornady with a BC of .823 vs. your 7mm with a B.C. of .796.... those facts?

Putting your insecurities on display daily for the whole world to see is not a winning strategy.... bless your heart

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am VERY fhuqking "surprised" that a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,enters her Hurt Feelers and quantifies her Professional Victim status...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It will only come as "news" to you,that Hornady doesn't make a .308" 230gr ELD-M,let alone same with your "heralded" .823 BC. You Professional Victim Google Gals are funnier than fhuqk! HINT.

Please "tell" me more of your "facts". HINT.

Some folks shoot,but you "get" to read about it. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oooh you got me there... 230 A tip match.... hahahahhahahaha

And yes it does have a .823 G1 bc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 225 Eld match has a B.C. of .777 compare that to your 7MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 300 Norma Improved with a 230 a-tip handily beats the cited 7mm-08/180 load posted at all ranges but admittedly uses about 2x the powder with 50% more recoil which is a consideration one has to make to get essentially 2x the energy on target. at longer ranges.

I shoot a couple 7’s for a lot of things but for big animals and longer distances I like the 300 NMI and 338 Edge better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I first got into long range shooting/not hunting, I quickly moved up the horsepower ladder , did the 300WM with a 208 A max and concluded with a 338 Lapua.
The recoil and powder consumption penalty was simply too much for me.
Now I settled on the 243, 224 & 264 calibers... I do miss the impact of those big calibers though... the 224's are fun but have serious disadvantages, such as spotting misses,
the impact is simply too small unless you have a fine dry dirt bank behind the target.
I would never fault a guy for wanting a 300 mag , especially for hunting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 300 Norma Improved with a 230 a-tip handily beats the cited 7mm-08/180 load posted at all ranges but admittedly uses about 2x the powder with 50% more recoil which is a consideration one has to make to get essentially 2x the energy on target. at longer ranges.

I shoot a couple 7’s for a lot of things but for big animals and longer distances I like the 300 NMI and 338 Edge better.

Though NOT proud of it,I've had/have a schit pile of .30's,though none of greater capacity than 30-378,nor any barrels longer than 30". Hint.

It's been a constant from the start,that .284 BC's are farrrrrrrrrr more meaningful,in relation to BC/mass ratios and that their mass is easier to squirt at greater velocity,in chamberings of like capacity. You gotta add muchly CC's to the .30's,in order to crowd the .284's abilities and that hurts Tender Feelers,if only as this and all other Threads quantify. Hint.(grin)

Personally,I've never been an "Energy" Guy and the forecast don't indicate any changes. I'm an Impact Velocity and Atmospherics Defeating Guy,if only because such things are glaring and easily quantified,where "Energy" is smoke & mirrors. Hint.

I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating going on a rampage and whistlin' through all of my 243Win FC fodder,so I can send it to Kali,for the 8" RPM 7-08 transformation,in a dupe at 21". Have a few others that I feed ala AICS,but FC goodness is real,when it comes to Mechanics. Hint.

Droolers can't even begin to comprehend. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And that’s where the difference lies. The bench bunny/wannabe killer crew poppin bus sized rocks all day generally don’t know jack shiit, other than killin kelp fed beach bears and calling in rut dumb 75lb Sitka bucks, where a muzzleloader would suffice just as good.

Bacon throat, I could fill your Indian rez shack with bull horns I’ve killed/been around being killed. A 7/08 wouldn’t even rate a thunk on an elk rifle spectrum, though I saw 3 bulls killed one morning with said chambering. Lotsa holes in all 3 by the time it was said and done, and a 300 Roy batted cleanup. Haha

You stick to your imagination and pretend, rattling your Pom poms knowing you wil NEVER hunt elk the rest of your life, cuunt.😂👊🏻

PS, the gargling is loud and clear!!! So loud the city slickers can hear it!! 😆

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is HILARIOUS how disconcerting it is,to all the Crying Karens,that the wares simply exist. Talked to The Plumber,ordered a spout and will flog on the 243Win Fieldcraft Donor. Hint.

I reckon it's rude of me,not to dangle a Fieldcraft pic,for all of the Whiners who can't "afford" or have never "seen" one. Hint.

Might go 20.75" in length,just to put The 30 Gang at a bit of ease and keep things "fair". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar

It takes a lot more powder and recoil for a 0.308" 230 ATip with 0.823 G1 BC or 225 ELD-M with 0.777 G1 BC to match the impact velocity and wind resistance of a 7mm 190 ATip with 0.838 G1 BC or a 7mm 180 ELD-M with 0.796 G1 BC.

Out to 600 yards any of the above will do, but the 7mm will do it with less recoil and powder consumption, and with plenty of smack on target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

It takes a lot more powder and recoil for a 0.308" 230 ATip with 0.823 G1 BC or 225 ELD-M with 0.777 G1 BC to match the impact velocity and wind resistance of a 7mm 190 ATip with 0.838 G1 BC or a 7mm 180 ELD-M with 0.796 G1 BC.

Out to 600 yards any of the above will do, but the 7mm will do it with less recoil and powder consumption, and with plenty of smack on target.

But Stick says a 7mm-08 will beat the 300....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I connected this afternoon with an old Oklahoma whitetail with a my 300 PRC using a single factory 225 ELDm and he was DRT. Didn’t even twitch after his chin hit the earth. How dead is dead?? Thank you lord for that opportunity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've loaded the 28 Nosler with 175g Accubonds to 3200 fps out of a 26 inch barrel.
I ran N570.
I've yet to drill anything with it but the smith has built 6 or 7
Reports are lots of DRTS from elk to deer .

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Milkfever

I laid in a goodly supply of 200gr Nosler Partitions several years ago. An accurate 200gr NPT load at 2750-2800fps should kill everything I will ever need to kill. "On paper", the Nosler ABLR 168gr should get me to 1,000 yards with one spin of the elevation turret on the Swarovski 2-16 I just acquired. Recently gained access to an area to shoot 700-800 yards. Figure I will have some fun while learning new skill.

@Beretz.... Yes, with 8" twist, I should be able to stabilize just about any 30 caliber bullet at 0*F standing on the shore of the Dead Sea... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It hurts 30cal Feelers right regular,to extrapolate a 21" 7-08 and a 180 ELD at 2600fps,to the things they swoon. Hint.

300 "Mag" 200gr NPT at 2800fps. Hint.

21" 7-08/180 ELD-M at 2600fps. Hint.

Just saying...............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When presented with all the "proof" of the superiority of one caliber over another, my first thought is always, "So what?". If a person's ideal rifle is one that launches a round nose bullet at 2500 and does what he requires of it, it's a good rifle for him. Now, if he built this rifle with the idea of shooting at 1000 yds, he may have taken a wrong turn, but it is a fact that good results can be had with outfits which are, theoretically, less than optimal. GD
PS. If I wanted a 30 mag., my first choice would be a 308 Norma or a 30-338.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dumbdog,

Stupid is never "smart",despite your "life" spent trying to make it so...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon simplistic facts,upsetting you so. If it swoons you and your "approach",I'll happily trade you 1:1 my $1 bills for your $5,so you can REALLY correlate your "stance". Not that you have $5! Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
'retzs,

Can't argue with the logic Stick is slinging.

7mm RM gets it done with a lot less fuss than the big thirties.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you want a 300 mag I would go with one that you can buy Brass for. Work up an accurate load with a bullet that shoots in your rifle and performs well on game. You can use a rangefinder so you know how much elevation you need. You don't have to shoot the bullet with the highest BC available. Just learn where it shoots at distance and compensate for it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have an 18.5" fieldcraft 7-08 that shoots the 180s at 2550 and will do consistent 1/2 moa when the scope on it is holding together.

I had been wanting a 7 Creedmoor spec'd for heavies but the 3" mag box on the fc and whatever spec reamer Barrett uses it all works great as a plain old 7-08.

I'm just using starline brass which has been good for the money and h4350. I tried staball 6.5 and got a bit more speed but accuracy SD and es were all much better with h4350.

I put together a faux ti in 7-08 about 20 years ago and experimented with all kinds of loads in it the first year before settling on h4350 and 162 amaxes at close to 2700. Loved that little rifle but with the FC the old faux ti action is now a 22 creed and the 7-08 mtn barrel is now rat holed in a box in the basement.

The 7 rem is what I recommend to all the people getting started or looking for a long range hunting rifle but I'm really interested in the 7 prc now. I know it's not going to do much more but it has my interest.

Although I just got a 22" sporter remage 8 twist 280 ai a while back that may shoot well enough with 180s and 190s to keep me happy. It gives me 250-300 fps over the FC 7-08.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 Win Mag and two 300 Weatherby Magnums. I like them all I think you're missing something if you leave out the 300 Weatherby.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/10/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a .284 R5 8.7 Twist Bartlein #19 Remington mag sporter contour 27” blank, Grayboe outlander stock, SS Remington magnum long action. Triggertech trigger, factory BDL bottom metal.
Was thinking 7-300 prc before the 7 prc came out but I have everything I needed for 7 rem mag.

300 pc of new ADG 7 rem mag brass
Redding competition dies
600 plus 180 eldm’s
RL 26, H1000, Retumbo H4831sc

Being that 7 prc brass might not be available for a while and not sure on dies I’m thinking just chamber to the 7 Rem mag throated for the 180’s.

I already have a 300 PRC Ridgeline that is shooting great.

I like new and shiny of the 7 prc but with what I have I don’t know if it’s practical for where I’m invested already.

Last edited by 2500HD; 01/10/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 2500HD
I have a .284 R5 8.7 Twist Bartlein #19 Remington mag sporter contour 27” blank, Grayboe outlander stock, SS Remington magnum long action. Triggertech trigger, factory BDL bottom metal.
Was thinking 7-300 prc before the 7 prc came out but I have everything I needed for 7 rem mag.

300 pc of new ADG 7 rem mag brass
Redding competition dies
600 plus 180 eldm’s
RL 26, H1000, Retumbo H4831sc

Being that 7 prc brass might not be available for a while and not sure on dies I’m thinking just chamber to the 7 Rem mag throated for the 180’s.

I already have a 300 PRC Ridgeline that is shooting great.

I like new and shiny of the 7 prc but with what I have I don’t know if it’s practical for where I’m invested already.

That ain’t a bit crazy and building like that you’ll never get Les’s performance. That sounds like a great build. And having great brass just makes it so easy.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep…that makes sense to me too. Build your 7 mag throated for what you plan to shoot and never look back since the only difference you’ll realize is that brass is readily available and you’ll get to shoot more. 👍🏼

Good luck with your project…I think you’re well on your way to a great rifle.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had Alamo Precision build me a 300 Weatherby in their Maverick line, 26" barrel, Gill brake and 10 twist. Shoots 200 grain Nosler Accubonds (.588 BC) at 3090 fps into tiny little groups. I shot a Woodland Caribou and moose with it this year, worked fine.

I do like a 7mm Remington Magnum.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup...did exactly this...twice. One a 26" 9 twist, the other a 26" 8 twist. Playing with the new 8 twist now. Both on 700`s.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is there a better way to get a hold of Shaen, Shooter71 than pm system on here. I’d like to go over my rifle project with him and get on his list. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Ken

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 2500HD
Is there a better way to get a hold of Shaen, Shooter71 than pm system on here. I’d like to go over my rifle project with him and get on his list. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Ken

His number is on his website…
If that doesn’t work, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by joshf303; 01/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Parts are off to California. Thank you Joshf303 for helping me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.