Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My AR is a lightweight with round hand guards and no attachment point there. Is there a clamp for the skinny barrel, or maybe for the front sight base?

I'd like to see a recommend for a clamp/base & light combo.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheapest mount could be a ranger band. A piece of bicycle intertube or wide rubber band(s).

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jeeper
Cheapest mount could be a ranger band. A piece of bicycle intertube or wide rubber band(s).

Tried that, but that front sight pillar gets hot...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This, if you want to put a pistol light on it.
https://arisakadefense.com/mossie-midnight-1913-fsb-mount/

Or this of you want a pistol light or a clamp style for a regular light.
https://midwestindustriesinc.com/mi-tactical-light-mount/

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Piggyback on this.

Looking for a non-Chineesium equivalent to an Olight Baldr Pro, 1350 Lumens light with green laser? Have on a G19. Looking for similar, possibly for a carbine. Similar to a Streamlight 69447.

Nevermind, the high end combo units (Surefire's) are too much $ for my tastes.

The Olight mentioned, while 1350 lumens ain't got candela for chit. Seems someone mentioned this factor to consider. LOL . For example, can see deer eyeshine at 80 yards but zero deer (at 1x). The laser bouncing off eyeballs is sorta fun though. Up close seems ok.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/12/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like this mount, $19 and free shipping from the Holy Land:
https://israeldefensestore.com/caa-...r-front-sight-for-m16-carbine-rifle.html

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Assuming that I use this mount;

Midwest Industries

What rings or clamps can I use to attach a streamlight flashlight? Probably would use the streamlight pro-tac 2AA, if I can find a way to attach it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Assuming that I use this mount;

Midwest Industries

What rings or clamps can I use to attach a streamlight flashlight? Probably would use the streamlight pro-tac 2AA, if I can find a way to attach it.

Or...
Someone recommend a light to put on that same mount?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I recall correctly, I used this mount setup on a budget AR with a small section of rail on the side of the M-Lok forend. Probably about the size of rail as on that Midwest unit that attached to the front sight.

Flashlight mount

With this light:

Streamlight PolyTac 600

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used this UTG light on my chicken coop AR for a long time, until I misplaced it. It was cheap and I wasn't sure I would like it, it actually urged me to buy a better quality light and I wouldn't have at least one rifle with a light.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

I run a Streamlight ProTac now, or a similar version since I have had mine for quite a while. The ProTac was about 5 times the cost of the UTG

[Linked Image from modernmateriel.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Darryle

The light that you have is one that I am considering. Talked to a tech from Midwest Industries just a few minutes ago. He says that he is a shooter who engages in tactical training and that all of his experience with Streamlight weapons lights causes him to recommend Surefire.

How much have you used the Streamlight? Is the guy talking bullshit/shilling for Surefire?

He gave several reason for his opinion, but mostly just said try both side by side. As noted above, I've banded the Streamlight pro-tac 2AA flashlight to my rifle and had no issues other than the band not holding up where it contacts the FSB. Admittedly, this flashlight isn't meant or designed to be a weapons light.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used it on a 223, 6.8 x 43mm, 6.5 Creedmoor, 375 and 458 Socom and recently on a 6mm ARC. 5 dead pigs with the ARC probably means several hundred rounds of various calibers and it still runs like it should.

I have some old Surefire G2s, from the days of their initial release that still work fine, nothing wrong with either. I would buy this Streamlight TacPro again in a heartbeat if I needed it. I have one on my bedside 930 SD shotgun, it has endured 100s of buckshot and a few dozen slugs and still functions as it should. I generally turn the light on when testing ammo, just to shake out any potential weaknesses. So far, neither one nor the UTG have shown me that they are not capable of the task.

Shot these 5 about 5:50 am with the 6mm ARC wearing the Streamlight TacPro light. I built that trap the night before around 8pm and baited it and had all 5 inside at 5:30am the next morning, double taps from the ARC and a few harrowing moments when the bigger pigs broke out of the trap headed directly towards me. 2 dead in the trap, 2 in the west yard expired and the last one in the forest to the south behind the trap. The 4 I could easily load, left the 5th one where it laid.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used the Arisaka Mossie mount that allows you to mount a Streamlight TLR-1 HL light on it and it works great and still have a couple of the TLR-1 HL's on the 12:00 picatinny rail. The lights have been solid but I will say that they are easy to unintentionally bump on. If I was forced to use these for SD, I'd figure out a way to make a black cap to cover the lense until I needed it. Right now I have a red flip lense on one for hunting.

The ProTac HL is a better light and I have mine mounted in an Arisaka mount at 11:00 and use the tail cap push button.

I've owned Surefire's for years too but none of the newer lights. I would like to try one but I have quite a few lights and can't really justify the price difference for a Scout light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found with weapon lights, you get what you pay for. Lowest quality I would go with is the Streamlight, but they can be troublesome too from time to time. Heat and shock can be a major problem on the cheaper lights. Myself, when I can afford to, I go with Modlite and Surefire. I have been through lesser lights and rarely did I actually save any money doing so. So if it takes an extra month or two of saving to get one of the better lights do if you may use it for a defensive situation. What is your life worth?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by drop_point
I've found with weapon lights, you get what you pay for. Lowest quality I would go with is the Streamlight, but they can be troublesome too from time to time. Heat and shock can be a major problem on the cheaper lights. Myself, when I can afford to, I go with Modlite and Surefire. I have been through lesser lights and rarely did I actually save any money doing so. So if it takes an extra month or two of saving to get one of the better lights do if you may use it for a defensive situation. What is your life worth?

I agree with this post. I will say however, that I have had to swim with my G19 with a TLR-1 HL on it on multiple occasions, and the TLR-1 HL is still working to date. All of my other carry gus wear X300s, that particular 19 is the only outlier.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 09/17/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I often use cheap rayovac "indestructible" AA flash lights.

They work well enough for me without having to wear welding goggles and causing 2nd degree burns.

And AA batteries are cheap and readily available and I can use rechargables on a 6v panel if things get really sideways for long term.

I am also fond of click tailcaps. The cheap $25 flash lights can be momentary or push all the way in to stay on.

And they work in offset mounts if you wrap the body a few times with a little black tape around where the clamp tightens down against it.

I do have a surefire on my Colt socom. It's certainly brighter. But again, comes back to battery type and why I don't really "love" it. If a company like surefire or streamlight would make lights that used AA's, would be nice. But the higher voltage cr123's and 1680's seem to be what the market is wanting. If not, that's what they're getting anyway.

Last edited by johna1; 09/17/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As the company has been mentioned here multiple times I took a look and see some interesting options offered in lights. Seems they're allowing customers to build a light, to the extent possible with different models, by potentially choosing body (thus battery type), head, mount, and tailcap (switch).

Looks like top shelf stuff and an opportunity to just buy the parts desired from the get go. Meant as a PSA only.

And they display candela ratings and make good sense on their explanations.

https://arisakadefense.com/complete-light/

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.