Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, maybe best in the predator forum, but coyotes are turkey killers and crows are egg raiders.

Went to the range yesterday to work up a lead load for my Hawken rifle. I had today off, too, and was going to go squirrel hunting. But decided to go up to the state forest and see if I could get a coyote to come in. I got there about 6:30 AM. The woods are still thick, full foilage, and the weeds on the trail leading into the area are still thick and chest high. Wouldn't be able to a see a deer crossing those trails, much less a coyote. There are a few trails that are more open giving decent visiblity for a good distance in either direction. I set up on one of these trails looking due south. Breeze going west to east. Took my .270, mainly because I have scarcely hunted with it and because centerfires are legal here for coyotes, though 75-100 yard max would have been possible. This is the view looking due south. Call is about 60 yard down the trail facing south. Directly to the call's right is a trail leading deeper into the clear cut where there were coyote tracts. About 35 yards past the call, around the bend, is a, intersection with a trail leading out of the area, another down to the bottomlands, and some straight ahead that leads into the pine thicket.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Saw several sets of tracks on this trail, some very clear and recent.

Used a cottontail in distress call, since there are a lot of cottontails and raptors here. Started off at low volume. Worked up the volume over a couple of hours. Did not see any coyotes or foxes.

Before I moved to a different location, I did try the preloaded Crow Distress and Barred Owl call. Bejeezus. The crows went nuts. A Coopers Hawk flew in first and sat in a tree overlooking the call. Then the crows came. I should have brought my shotgun and a bunch of shells.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/16/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can be frustrating or it can be terribly exciting. You never know which til you're done.

I'd suggest that you move your caller in to about half that distance. And right now..........try some young coyote sounds. Distress or fighting. It's that time of year the pups are being dispersed. Mix some cottontail in.

Don't give up. It's a lot like turkey hunting. Coyotes and gobblers can be frustrating or they can be easy. You never know which til you try.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The tracks I found today look smaller than the ones I've seen in the past. I was thinking they may be from young coyotes.

If I try it again before the leaves are down, I'm taking my shotgun. If only to tag some crows. I have't shot crows in years. It's a lot of fun. I was sitting there wishing I have a 12 gauge and a bunch of shells.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
10 Glocks,

You better rethink what your hunting for, you start blazing away at Crows there won't be a Coyote within a mile of you. learn what a Coyote track looks like, your tracking rabbits and dogs. you have a lot to learn better get some help and get started. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7
10 Glocks,

You better rethink what your hunting for, you start blazing away at Crows there won't be a Coyote within a mile of you. learn what a Coyote track looks like, your tracking rabbits and dogs. you have a lot to learn better get some help and get started. Rio7

Well, I may very well start "blazing away" at crows, but maybe not here, or maybe here, who knows. But I'm more interested in the second part of your statement. What is it about these tracks that suggest to you they are a dog, or more curiously, a rabbit?

Here's a close up.

Coyotes also have outer toes that are more rearward of the inner toes. Dog outer toes are farther forward.

And nothing I posted really looks like these.

As many years as I have hunted this state forest. I have never seen a dog here outside of deer season, much less a stray. I suppose it's possible, but the nearest house is well over a mile away, and its pretty much alone. This is a rather remote area. Likewise, I haven't seen a coyote on this particular forest tract, but locals I've spoken to around here have. And I have seen plenty of hair and bone infused coyote poops laying on the trails (BTW, they are significantly bigger than fox turds.) And I've seen plenty of coyotes a little further south of here.

Not a dog poop.

So I appreciate your insight, but would respectfully like to know just what it is about these pics that make you believe its a dog or a rabbit. BTW, all the tracks in my original post above are from the same animal. It was a trail of tracks that originated after the animal stepped from hard ground into wet sandy soil. The tracks led a ways then turned left into a clear cut area that nearly inpenetrable and is overgrown with small pine, devils walking stick, and every manner of thorn bush. An area where I have flushed turkeys in the past. Not an area where I would expect a stray dog to go, but would expect a coyote to go.

But I will say, if I see a stray dog here, it's going down. I won't shoot a lost hunting dog. But a feral dog or feral cat is gonna get shot. I turkey hunted in Caroline County with a friend who had a very large parcel of land. The night before the hunt, you could hear the feral dogs chasing deer. He told me he had found several obliterated fawns and does on his property that had been torn apart by feral dogs. We called turkeys the next morning and several dogs of different breeds show up across the field. They sat there and just watched. At noon when it was time to hang up the turkey hunting, we took the shot guns back to the trailer and got a rilfe and went back out, called, and got a couple of those mangy animals. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but stray feral dog is as much a threat to a turkey as a coyote is.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/16/22.
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
10 Glocks,

He needs help alright....

At this point I'm wondering if he could successfully hunt fire ants setting over a two foot nest.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, given the sheer numbers of turkeys you "claim" (brag about, more like it) to have killed, it's a wonder any are left for anyone else. Hundreds upon hundreds killed by the self styled "I know everything there is to know about turkeys and turkey hunting" LFC. What was it, 30 in one year "accidentally" when you were on "this one guy's prostaff" but didn't get paid. 7 the spring you were scootching around the forest on crutches after having a hip replacement surgery? And your latest claim, 200 fall turkeys in 12 years (that averages out to 17 turkeys each fall, every fall, for 12 years, by the way). Not to mention the hundreds you claim to have helped other people kill. You can't find anyone on any other website, including Old Gobbler, where you were banned (remember?) that claims anything close to those kinds of numbers. Not even close. Your claims far exceed the claims of anyone else.

You know Luther, there's lots of people on the Campfire that are full of shyt, but I think you are the fullest. Anybody that starts throwing numbers around in an effort to be impressive is questionable at best. Anyone that throws the kind of numbers around that you throw around, is probably either a liar, a poacher, or the grotesque abuser of wildlife. My gut tells me you're the first (and likely, too, a lot of other pople who read your stories think the same). But only God and you know. But, as the old old saying goes, "if it looks like bullshit and smells like bullshit, you don't have to step in it to know it bullshit." And I think everything that comes out of your keyboard is bUllsHit. One thing I do know, my videos and your videos are quite different. Mine actually have animals in them.

The upside is that a new turkey sub-species has been discovered.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Luther is my daddy's name....the numbers I've thrown around are just fact.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Give us a firm number LFC, how many turkeys have you killed in your lifetime. And don't include any Butterball Farms trucks you might has smashed into when when you were drunk. Just give us the number of turkeys you've killed while hunting in your lifetime.

And didn't you also claim to be a expert on coyote hunting? I've done it once in my life and may or may not do it again. But you're an expert on that, too. Lets see some evidence of all the coyotoes you've slain. Don't you have a couple of broken down humidors laying around filled with momentos of all your coyoite kills? (Not the "beard boxes" that contain, at best, a few dozen beards.)

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I only kept up with the ones that were killed hunting with my Turkey dog....you saw my beard boxes wanna see my 22 ft + spur chain ?

You're welcome to stop by the house....

Warning....

You'd be lucky to leave here with both ears

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ah, how convenient. And coming to your house is Memphis is far down on my list of things to do. Seems to be a lot of murderous craziness going on in your neck of the woods right now. Must be something in your guys' water?

And you're welcome to come here. In fact, I sincerely invited you to meet with me when you came to Virginia to go hunting. You declined. Something fearful in you about hiking miles into a forest and hunting wild forest birds that aren't used to coming to corn and sunflower seeds thrown out on the ground? Or does the prospect of actually looking for wild birds far from the comfort of your truck not appeal to you?

Your beard boxes contain a few dozen beards at best. Hardly enough to back up the claims of the literally the hundreds, if not a 1,000+ turkeys you've claimed to have shot.

Again...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Glock, I'm not a Turkey hunter, but we are covered up with Rio Grande Turkey's here they are a pest they Chitt all over my porch and walk way's.

I do kill more than a few predators,Coyote, Bobcat, You would save yourself a lot of grief, if you would find someone in your area that's a good predator hunter, 1 Coyote can and will leave a lot of tracks and scat. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glock, I'm not a Turkey hunter, but we are covered up with Rio Grande Turkey's here they are a pest they Chitt all over my porch and walk way's.
Rio7

Okay, that made me LOL.

Nice coyotes. Looks like they breed like rats. I read somewhere that 60% percent have to die per year to stalbize their population growth. And that they can recoup their population loss in a single year.

Our state forests here are broken up into sizable tracts. This particular tract where I shot that video is one where I deer hunt and sometimes hunt turkey. I have never seen a coyote on this tract, but saw one once crossing the road leading into this forest area. And I have seen lots of tracks and scat on the trails within this tract. I know they are there. And the different sized tracks suggest more than one. It make sense. I also hunt a separate state forest a little south of here where I have seen coyotes while hunting. And I talked to a man who lives nearby who sees them in his cornfields in the winter. This particular county changed it ordinance within the last year or so to allow centerfire rifles for coyotes due to complaints from chicken farmer loosing stock to coyotoes. They are here.

I just don't know any predator hunters. It's just not a big thing around here. Farmers shoot them, but I know no one that actually goes out to hunt them. I guess its done some places, but it's not a big thing here in eastern Va. So I am feeling my way into it. What I know about it is what I've read. That's it. And it may not appeal to me. Yesterday, I was thinking the whole time that I could have been hunting squirrels instead of wasting my time doing this. So I may not stick to it. When it comes to hunting, there are other things I'd rather be hunting.

As far as the tacks looking like dogs. I suspect they will continue to do so. Our DWR bandies this quote when talking about Viirginia's coyotes, "According to Monzón's research, about 64% of the eastern coyote's genome is coyote (Canis latrans), 13% gray wolf (Canis lupus), 13% Eastern wolf (Canis lycaon), and 10% dog (Canis familiaris)." In NC, I have seen a steady decline in Red Wolf sightings. The area I hike a lot had 120 Red Wolves a few years ago. They are down to 20 now and they are breeding with Coyotes. Pretty soon, there won't been any Red Wolves left. Red Wolves are already something like 20% coyote. Once they breed with a coyote, the offspring is more coyote than wolf.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might as well forget it Rio, he's not listening.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure who that comment is directed to but I read Rios response and responded to it respectfully.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Glock, For every Coyote you see there 10 more you don't see, but they all leave tracks and scat, I am not familiar with your hunting country, no matter i am sure you have heard Hunt the Wind, you might also want to keep the sun at your back if you can, if your using a E- Caller? start out soft and take your time. you have to be where the Coyotes are or they have to be where you are, sit still, if you need to move do it in slow motion, if your in heavy cover bring a shotgun, #4 buck works well for me.
Good Luck Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Not sure who that comment is directed to but I read Rios response and responded to it respectfully.

Yes, you did respond respectfully. But very ignorantly. To have never called and killed a coyote and only have made one coyote stand in your life and then debate or defend your failure to a guy offering advice who kills hundreds of called coyotes per year is ignorant at the very least. Put your talking hat up and put your listening hat on.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What conversation are you reading? Who questioned him? The only thing I pointed out was that the tracks I saw were not dog or rabbit tracks. The were, indeed, coyote tracks. I don't need to stack coyotes in the back of my truck to know what I am seeing. I've seen coyotes. I've seen their tracks. And despite what you thin k you know, have called in coyotes while both turkey and squirrel hunting. I just never killed them because back then they were novel around these parts. More a curiosity than anything else. It doesn't take shooting a bunch of them to know what the hell a coyote is or what their tracks look like.

And who debated him? Again, what thread are you reading? He advised me to get a mentor. I told him I don't know any since predator hunting isn't a big thing here. That's not questioning his killing skills, it's just fact.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glock, For every Coyote you see there 10 more you don't see, but they all leave tracks and scat, I am not familiar with your hunting country, no matter i am sure you have heard Hunt the Wind, you might also want to keep the sun at your back if you can, if your using a E- Caller? start out soft and take your time. you have to be where the Coyotes are or they have to be where you are, sit still, if you need to move do it in slow motion, if your in heavy cover bring a shotgun, #4 buck works well for me.
Good Luck Rio7

Thank you. That's useful advice. I appreciate it. (And I appreciate Yoder's advice, too.) As I stated, I have never set out to specifically hunt coyotes before and know of no one to personally teach me what to do. All my encounters were accidental when I simply saw them, or they came into a squirrel or turkey call. So actual tips from someone who does hunt them are appreciated.

Our cover here is very heavy, exceptionally heavy right now. Parts of eastern Virginia can make a jungle look like an open savannah. So next time I'll be using my shotgun. Based on your advice, I did pick up some #4 buck during my ammo run today. Given the size of some of the coyotes seen around here, I'd feel more comfortable using #4 buck than BBs. My shotgun I use for turkey and heavy 00 buck will no doubt pattern it well. And given that we have to use shotguns in these parts for deer, shooting buckshot at moving deer is something I am very acquainted with.

Coyotes in the woods can be like ghosts. First time I saw them hunting squirrels and turkeys back in the late 80s, when no one really knew coyotes had take up residence in the eastern part of our state, you could see a coyote slinking through the trees in the distance, only getting glimpses. Other times, they will dart across a path or road so fast that you can only see them for a second or two. Just enough to know what you're seeing. So I'd definitely feel more confident hunting with a shotgun under conditions like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.