Hop To
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What's your favorite 32 Special load?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
170 gr Hornady and IMR 4320. Not sure what I will do in the future since 4320 was discontinued. Sigh…

Dale

This space for rent

Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Dale. Luckily I had a few pounds of 4320 before it was discontinued. It was the best powder for accuracy in a couple of rifles.
If I can find those bullets for my 32 Special I’ll work with that. I have plenty cast bullets but I think I’d stay with jacketed for deer. I wasn’t pleased with the loads I loaded for my 32.

Bugger

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why not cast for deer? Make them sufficiently soft and they should work as well as cast does in a .30-30 or .303 Savage which I have proven to my satisfaction quite often. Something in the way of a FN bullet weighing between 165 and 190 grains can be moved at the same speed as a factory jacketed bullet. (I routinely load my .30-30's with a 190 grain FN cast relatively soft, 10-12bhn, at exactly 2000 fps out of a 24" barrel - squarely in factory energy territory, and with excellent accuracy and zero leading.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Why not cast for deer? Make them sufficiently soft and they should work as well as cast does in a .30-30 or .303 Savage which I have proven to my satisfaction quite often. Something in the way of a FN bullet weighing between 165 and 190 grains can be moved at the same speed as a factory jacketed bullet. (I routinely load my .30-30's with a 190 grain FN cast relatively soft, 10-12bhn, at exactly 2000 fps out of a 24" barrel - squarely in factory energy territory, and with excellent accuracy and zero leading.)

I know I have several hundred cast for the 32. Most are cast from wheel weights. But I've bought from professional casters as well. When you say soft; what is the alloy you are using? I have a good supply of tin and plumber's lead, but I have mostly wheel weights. I thought I had bought a Lee hardness tester, but I'm not sure where it is.
So far, I've not tried cast for deer on that small of caliber. I guess I should get out a box of old American Rifleman magazines and see how they expand in those magazines.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/18/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
36.0 gr. W748/170 gr. Speer is what I've settled on.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wheel weights properly sized at 2 thousandths over are just right for hunting loads.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I know I have several hundred cast for the 32. Most are cast from wheel weights. But I've bought from professional casters as well. When you say soft; what is the alloy you are using? I have a good supply of tin and plumber's lead, but I have mostly wheel weights. I thought I had bought a Lee hardness tester, but I'm not sure where it is.
So far, I've not tried cast for deer on that small of caliber. I guess I should get out a box of old American Rifleman magazines and see how they expand in those magazines.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm prepping for eye surgery tomorrow that has me preoccupied.

For hunting bullets, .30 caliber give or take, I focus entirely on flat nose and better yet hollow point designs (never round nose if I can help it, I've experienced dicey results with them). Alloys are simple: clip-on wheelweights with a pinch of tin added for reliable mold fill out, resulting in a bhn of 10-12. I've found the elastic limits of that alloy to comfortably support 2000fps (and a little bit more sometimes) with good accuracy, no leading, and reliable expansion at woods distances. Can't speak to long range performance because that's way outside my wheelhouse. Since clip-on lead wheelweights are becoming extinct that's becoming moot. Simple binary alloy of tin/lead work too but require a bit of experimentation to find the sweet spot. 1:20 tends to resemble the wheelweight alloy but may be a bit sketchy for expansion if the distance stretches beyond point blank range. 1:30 guarantees nice mushrooming but may be too soft and induce leading at the higher end of the speed spectrum. Somewhere in between may be just right, in general, but only controlled experimentation on the part of the shooter can tell the tale.

To those apprehensive of 2000fps or less in cartridges whose factory performance with jacketed stuff runs higher (say 2200-2400 in the case of .30-30 and .32 Special) remember they're doing that with 150-165gr. bullets. The solution when running cast bullets is to switch to a heavier bullet to achieve the same energy but at slower velocity. For me, a 190 grainer fills that bill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It works:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/21/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Same for me sir. My first loads with TAC don't shoot well enough for me. Going to change powder and try again. Will be carrying my 94 CPR model so loaded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.