Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
An uncle of mine loaned me his model 64 chambered for the 30-30 and wanted me to shoot a buck with it before he died. Forty three days later he died and I have yet to shoot it. I just wish it was chambered for the 35 as I have other 35's and no 30-30's. It is a beauty and is now mine.
'

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't know of any 94's or 64's ever chambered for a 35 period...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks Bob, I did not even think of that, was doing wishful thinking. I am thinking now about trading it for a Marlin 35.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Is your 64 std or Deluxe, rifle or Carbine. PM me, I'll find you a great Marlin in 35.
Can't PM you, email me at risible-mentor.0kicloud.com
I have at least two 35s you may choose from.

best to copy and paste email address

Last edited by UpThePole; 09/18/22.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 35 Remington is rimless and the pre 64 Model 64, redundantly, for rimmed rounds! The Marlin genre in Model 336 was available in 35 Remington from 1950. The above suggestion as an excellent choice available less frequently as the 336A the Alfa designator for full 24' barrel rifle equivalent to Win model 64. Most notably perhaps if you wish to use a scope, Marlin design entirely superior as ease of mounting with further notation, a 1954 or later edition as beginning the D&T scope factory accommodation era.
Pix of such model "G" SN prefix as 1950 production bellow.

Best!
John

Attached Images
R152-2U.jpg (24.48 KB, 361 downloads)
R152-3U.jpg (24.74 KB, 361 downloads)
R152-11U.jpg (27.61 KB, 362 downloads)
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Whokalouie
Thanks Bob, I did not even think of that, was doing wishful thinking. I am thinking now about trading it for a Marlin 35.

If you're serious pls Email me.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the Model 64.
Clean straight lines, to me it's a classic sporting rifle.
Hang a deluxe 64 rifle along with a deluxe 71 rifle and you will always get my attention!
The 64 was chambered in 219 Zipper, 25-35, 30-30, and 32WS.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Model 64 Winchester was one of their best designs for a lever action rifle, the caliber choices ran the gamut in the rifle's day. An old family friend sold me his M/64 .30-30 for $50.00 many years ago, it had been his deer rifle.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/19/22.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Is your 64 std or Deluxe, rifle or Carbine. PM me, I'll find you a great Marlin in 35.
Can't PM you, email me at risible-mentor.0kicloud.com
I have at least two 35s you may choose from.

best to copy and paste email address

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Since I could not get on this site after being here for years I had to re-register and do not have enough posts to send or receive PM's and it appears my email addy does not show!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
An uncle of mine loaned me his model 64 chambered for the 30-30 and wanted me to shoot a buck with it before he died. Forty three days later he died and I have yet to shoot it. I just wish it was chambered for the 35 as I have other 35's and no 30-30's. It is a beauty and is now mine.
'

Everyone should have a .30-30 and your uncle bequeathed you the best you could hope for! A Model 64 Winchester is synonymous with "deer rifle".

I am thinking now about trading it for a Marlin 35.

I just threw up a little. What a way to honor your deceased uncle who entrusted you with such a prize. If my nephew did that I'd haunt his ass opening day of deer season for the rest of his life.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm awfully glad people sell and trade in their grandpa's and uncle's guns...my safe would be empty without their acts of disposal!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I dropped my first buck with an early borrowed model 64 that had .30 WCF (a .30-30) on the barrel, so I have an appreciation for that model Winchester. He just folded and rolled down a little hill so it was as satisfying as a first deer for a young teenager could have been.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by tmitch
'

Everyone should have a .30-30 and your uncle bequeathed you the best you could hope for! A Model 64 Winchester is synonymous with "deer rifle".

I just threw up a little. What a way to honor your deceased uncle who entrusted you with such a prize. If my nephew did that I'd haunt his ass opening day of deer season for the rest of his life.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I guess I should wear my glasses, dummkopf me typed 35 and not Marlin 336!

We do a lot of bear over bait hunting and I have taken friends of all ages out for their first bear now for almost 55 years. Our back up rifles are Remington model 8's in 35 from grandad and an uncle. I do not place a semi-auto in the hands of first time bear hunters. That is why I would trade for a Marlin lever 336 in 35 of equal value.

I have the real treasure my uncle also gave me, a Springfield 1873 carbine that was one of the few that went to Cuba in 1898. I will pass that to me son.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Keep the 64 in the family and just go buy a 35 if that’s what you “need”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wish I had a 35 to trade you and Im in Idaho.
I even have a Remington model 8 in 30 rem that was left to me.
I made a decision a few years ago to not get rid of guns that were gifted to me. I did that before and regret that decision.
It would haunt me to know my uncle loaned me his rifle and wanted me to kill a deer with it. YMMV

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That M64 is worth at least two 336s in 35rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch

Trading that 64 for a Marlin 336 35 should be a felony in all 50 states if it isn't already. Even if it didn't belong to a deceased relative....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Whomever to admit weakness arise rising to "puking" as personal trauma reflecting moral condemnation of elections of others... More likely "puker" needing to "Seek emptional help".
My take
John!

Last edited by iskra; 09/21/22.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by iskra
The 35 Remington is rimless and the pre 64 Model 64, redundantly, for rimmed rounds! The Marlin genre in Model 336 was available in 35 Remington from 1950. The above suggestion as an excellent choice available less frequently as the 336A the Alfa designator for full 24' barrel rifle equivalent to Win model 64. Most notably perhaps if you wish to use a scope, Marlin design entirely superior as ease of mounting with further notation, a 1954 or later edition as beginning the D&T scope factory accommodation era.
Pix of such model "G" SN prefix as 1950 production bellow.

Best!
John

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Iskra, Thank you for the info! I will be looking for a 336A like the one in your pictures. As suggested above I will keep and treasure the 64.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought a Winchester 64-A (from the second run of the model) at a gun show in Virginia Beach and found it had the nicest trigger on any lever action I’ve ever used. With the rounded forearm, half magazine and pistol grip, I think it’s the nicest configuration made. If you can find one, put a receiver sight on it and see how accurate it can be.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I bought a Winchester 64-A (from the second run of the model) at a gun show in Virginia Beach and found it had the nicest trigger on any lever action I’ve ever used. With the rounded forearm, half magazine and pistol grip, I think it’s the nicest configuration made. If you can find one, put a receiver sight on it and see how accurate it can be.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It has a Williams peep on it, and I started with a Lyman tang peep on a model 24 Rem in 22 short only back in 1953 and have used peeps all my life.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Peep sights and 64s are like peas and carrots! My early production 64 carbine wears a Lyman 56a and my late production rifle wears a 66a. My favorite though is my late fathers 64 carbine with a "climbing Lyman" 21.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just scored on today!
Went to the Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. looking for the Marlin Camp .45 they have.
Always wanted one...
But I spot this '64, .30-30, for a tad over a grand.
Gulp.
She was FILTHY! Old gummed up whatever over every inch of her. A few dings here and there, but no rust.
I've always loved long barrels and .30-30s, soooo...
Bye bye Marlin.
Her serial number (162247x) says she should be a 1949 girl. The caliber stamp is .30-30, and not .30 WCF. I read someplace that they changed that in 1951. Who knows? I think .30 WCF looks way cooler...
Did a quick and nasty cleanup. Her action is SLICK and the trigger breaks like the set trigger on my T/C Hawken. Serious aid to accuracy there!
Took her out with some old 170 Remingtons, and she shot very well. With the open sights, 3 shots at 50 yards were right around an inch. Resting the forend on the bag was NOT good. Could've done better throwing rocks. Resting my hand on the bag and grabbing the forend gave nice tight groups with excellent overlap.
Cases.look good. No bulges and flush primers.
Happy happy happy.
Normally, I'm a Marlin guy. But this Model 64...
DANG!

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I picked up a 64 deluxe which had sadly at one time sported a side mounted scope ( as evidenced by the holes on the side of the receiver), a refinished stock and some marred screws.

Im interested in adding a peep for the occasional nostalgic deer hunt. What peeps sights are recommended and/or available?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Red_spruce
I picked up a 64 deluxe which had sadly at one time sported a side mounted scope ( as evidenced by the holes on the side of the receiver), a refinished stock and some marred screws.

Im interested in adding a peep for the occasional nostalgic deer hunt. What peeps sights are recommended and/or available?

The Lyman 56a or 66a should work for you. Or a newer Williams which I believe was an FP model.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the 30-30. I have six and consider them my fun guns these days. Two are M943 one Marlin 336 Texan, a Winchester M54 bolt action and two M64s, one a deluxe made in 1938, the same year I was born and the other a standard model made in 1957, which I believe was the last year Winchester made the M64. I read somewhere that Col. Townsend Whelen had a big hand in the stock design of the M64 and M71 as well. I wouldn't mind getting a deluxe M71 from 1938 to go with my M64 of that year. Match year would be super IMHO. One of the M94s wad made in 1911, probably shortly after the first of that years based on the serial number. I killed my first deer with that old rifle which originally belonged to my Great grandfather and has been handed down finally stopping with me. It'll go to my youngest daughter when I go.
These days they're used for punching paper with cast bullets. before my knees went out I usually did some of my desert hiking with one ot the other 30-30s, usually with 175 gr. cast bullets at roughly 1900 FPS. I have taken deer with those cast bullets and they work just fine.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I love the Model 64.
Clean straight lines, to me it's a classic sporting rifle.
Hang a deluxe 64 rifle along with a deluxe 71 rifle and you will always get my attention!
The 64 was chambered in 219 Zipper, 25-35, 30-30, and 32WS.

As well as a few hens teeth 32-40's and 38-55's.

"Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just turned up this Thead today! I have several Models 64. A 30-30 & two .32 WCF. Bought them principally for nice Winchesters at good prices. Vintages from first year production in '33 to about '51. That said, prefer my 1937 vintage 94 carbine as last year of the true Carbine butt with plate wrapping over wood butt top. That as with the newer ramp sight-integral forged barrel of "Winchester Proof Steel". In my preferred (non-handloader) 30-30 chambering. Used-excellent & all original but for a King's Full Buckhorn 'gnarly' aft barrel sight! A preferred feature 'sweet spot' for me in Win history.
IF you're a Winchester guy, any Marlin placing as 'other' on your radar perhaps. For me the 336 Models, from design to production quality equalling Winchester pre '64. To chamberings inclusive of said .35 Remington to sub-model designation 45/70 chambering. 336 Marauder as "Trapper" equivalent in 16" barrel. Considerably more modern design than the 94, stronger and top scope mounting with any compromises like offset scope mounts.

I give the Winchester classic lineup its due, but the Savages, Marlins and rare Stevens lever - mine from 1915 in .35 Remington; all to me more than giving the Model 64 a rea run for it's money!

So many guns... So little time! smile smile smile
Happy Holidays & here, just my take!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.