Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Picking this up from an auction, I've always had a liking for H&R firearms, own a few already.

22-250 ; labeled "Ultrarifle"; and "Ultra Medalist"

I believe serial prefix AG puts it at 1970 date of manufacture? And obviously is an FN Mauser action.

Attached Images
01.jpg (9.12 KB, 406 downloads)
05.jpg (10.5 KB, 403 downloads)
06.jpg (21.9 KB, 405 downloads)
07.jpg (22.06 KB, 405 downloads)

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Bump.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I owned that exact rifle many years ago, never shot it. Another gun head wanted it and I assume he still owns it. Dont see H&R FN Mauser rifles very often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not heard of these but, definitely a Mauser action. Has to be a great rifle , with the Mauser action. I remember the Model 300 with a Sako action.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I hope so, because I've met a few mauser actions that weren't all that great due to factors... That being said, given it says FN on this, and the overall machining quality I can see, I'm willing to assume that it will be great. But now that I have a model number (hopefully the correct one,) to work with I found this article, and a few other posts on other forums through google quite quickly.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/firearms/rifles/h-r-model-300
https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/h-r-model-300-question.72759/#post-824068
https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/h-r-300-301-ultra-rifles-from-the-70s.92873/

Given the serial number, and the fact that it is the FN Mauser action - that puts it with the following:

[bleep] stock (checkered in house by H&R), Douglas barrel air-gauged??. I have read a few places here and there that the trigger is and adjustable model from Sako. But I'm not sure that is specific to Sako actions, or to the entire range of production.

Is there a difference between a FN "Commercial" Mauser and "Supreme"? I've seen the later term thrown around a few places.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any FN commercial action is worth acquiring and owning. The differences lie in the breeching, triggers, safeties, and floorplates, all easily changed to suit. Most I’ve owned have had the left-side two-position wing, which is excellent for using irons, but a bit awkward for scope use. Most also had the slide-off floorplate, not terribly convenient either, but also not likely to surprise you by falling open at random or under recoil. I much prefer that to any alloy unit. My Morton full custom, acquired for a song, has it all: three-position M70-type safety, Mashburn trigger, Fisher bottom-metal. The stock is finely checkered French with extensive coverage. The barrel was cut off behind the factory ramp and turned down a bit, enough to remove the Chrome Vanadium marking. It’s promised to a relative who likes the fancy stock (and gave me a good deal on a truck) so I won’t ever hunt it, but it’s also a solid shooter, as all I’ve owned have been.

IME the only “factors” that have been problematic with various 98s I’ve owned have been caused by inept futzing around. You can’t just throw a barrel on one for any cartridge you like and expect them to function properly like a 700 or other push feeds. My Heym .308, was built to feed the short round, and works perfectly. The same was true of a FN .257 I owned. OTOH, I’d suggest checking the function of any “sporterized” or modified 98 before plunking down the bucks unless one is content with the possibility of getting a single shot, or paying to have it tuned.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the info, will be sure to check it out in full...after it arrives.

I paid a song and a dance for it, and the scope on ebay is worth about that, at least.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes one slips through the cracks on the auction sites. Between the demise of many who are old enough to know about such stuff, and the trend towards disposable guns among the younger shooters, there are bargains to be found out there. I snagged a C-collar 1948 FN some years back because I took a chance on a flaky description and threw in a bid. Didn’t steal it, but got a good deal on a desirable rifle.

Congrats on your acquisition.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
M
I bought one several years ago, NIB. It is a work of art. As I recall, mine has barrel blocks for the old style scopes and it is D&T for a modern receiver mount.

I can’t tell you how it shoots because it is still NIB.
My guess is that with the premium Douglas barrel it is a great shooter.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It was fully commercially built and should be fine if it hasn’t been bubba’d. They’re nice rifles. JC Higgins (Sears)had a sequence of I believe 3or 4 models built on commercial
FN actions that were barreled by High Standard with good chrome lined barrels. I never had an issue with any of 4 or 5 I’ve had. Not sure who barreled the H&Rs. I think the H&R rifles were more nicely finished.

Last edited by OldRooster; 09/30/22.
IC B3

M
M
It appears that the OP has the H&R Ultra Medalist. As I recall, it has a heavy barrel with a varmint style Fajen stock. I think they used Douglas premium air gaged barrels.
The H&R regular Ultra Bolt action rifles (early models) use one of the best Mauser style actions made by FN. The triggers were made by Sako.
When you compare them to the Browning High Power Safari rifles of the same time period you get the same action, with a great trigger, a beautiful stock with no salt wood and a barrel that is just as good as the FN Browning barrel. You can usually get them at a much lower price.

These rifle are definitely “sleepers”.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.