Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday was our archery opener, but no one scored this guy yet. Came by this AM for a drink and to check out our apple trees. We're on the edge of suburbia, and I'm betting someone will arrow him if he wanders any closer to civilization.

He was just behind our firewood bark pile, stealing some bitterbrush before visiting Cookie's water tub and apple trees. Not much green herbage around, so they're going after the shrubs already. Bitter brush holds leaves year-round and is high quality winter grub. Hate to see them trimming it down this early.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not real heavy, but not too shabby either. He was accompanied by a smaller and slightly irregular 3-by that wasn't worthy of Cookie's attention. Will keep an eye out and try for some better images if they decide to hang in the neighborhood. With that small notch in his right ear, we should be able to ID him if he manages to endure a few more years.
Canon EOS 7D Mk ll with Canon 500 mm glass 1/640 sec at F9.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/28/22.

1Minute
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’d be happy to see either one when I’m there in October. Great pics as always.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for sharing

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1minute, I have really enjoyed your (Cookie's) pictures. It occurs to me that I don't recall any comment about either of you hunting the critters you pursue with cameras. Do you?

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hook:

Do you?

Oh yes. For sure we're members of the hook and bullet club.

In the spirit of Wilson from Tool Time taken the 11th day on what was supposed to be a 6-day hunt.

But drawing tags takes endurance here in Oregon. Nothing for us this season, even though Cookie thought she'd score for pronghorn.

Do have a buddy though with pronghorn, deer, and elk tags and couple friends that might need a camp tender in Wy for pronghorn.

Any excuse to get out is a good one, and her cameras and fishing help us get a few more months out in in the field.

Again, I'm the good looking guy on the right. We actually caught a couple steelhead on that day. Seem to do better on the trophies with the cameras than with the firearms.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/29/22.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
More cool pics.

Where is a good place to have breakfast in Burns/Hines? I will be rolling in there late on the 28th and will be wanting some breakfast and coffee in the morning.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the response. As much as you've posted wildlife pics here, it was hard to imagine that you wouldn't be a hunter/fisherman.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Springcove:

Either RJ's which is a block or two south of Les Schwabs, or the Truck Stop on the right as one is leaving Hines toward Bend. A couple other places have closed recently as the owner/operators aged out and retired. The best high-end dinners are at a spot called the Pine Room located at the second traffic light coming into town from any direction. Good luck with whatever your endeavors might be.

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you. I have always eaten at the Apple Peddler. I might have that wrong. I haven’t been there in 6 years. I ate at the Pine Room the last time I was there. It was very good. I’d would be more than happy to treat you and your wife to breakfast if you have the time.

I have a Sylvies buck tag.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Springcove:

Appreciate the offer. Presently, I have no idea what our schedule might be. On top of helping a buddy with his tags, I've torqued a knee and may be headed to Boise for some surgery in the near future. Fifty years of playing handball/racquetball and wading greasy boulders for fishing, and I managed to pop some tendons getting into the pickup a couple weeks back. Stayed close to home on crutches to get through a Hunter Ed class for about 20 kids yesterday.

With that commitment out of the way, the knee has to be fixed and Cookie's making hints about hitting Montana's Bison Range and a couple ranches over there she's gotten access to. Would be nice if we could just spread Sept-November across more of the year.

As time nears, maybe touch bases.

Good luck with the tag. Extremely dry this year and deer numbers are still in the toilet. Bucks aren't tightly associated with water, but I'd be inclined to work ground that's within a mile to mile and half of permanent water. We're seeing some fair bucks, but I think low forage quality has maybe stunted antler development slightly. Some with good dimensions, but nothing on the real heavy side.

Pronghorn at the taxidermy stations this past week looked a little wimpy too.

Again, best of luck and do post up the results,

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for information and hope you heal up soon. I will send you a PM in a few weeks and see how you’re doing.

Thanks again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Hook:

Do you?

Oh yes. For sure we're members of the hook and bullet club.

In the spirit of Wilson from Tool Time taken the 11th day on what was supposed to be a 6-day hunt.

But drawing tags takes endurance here in Oregon. Nothing for us this season, even though Cookie thought she'd score for pronghorn.

Do have a buddy though with pronghorn, deer, and elk tags and couple friends that might need a camp tender in Wy for pronghorn.

Any excuse to get out is a good one, and her cameras and fishing help us get a few more months out in in the field.

Again, I'm the good looking guy on the right. We actually caught a couple steelhead on that day. Seem to do better on the trophies with the cameras than with the firearms.

1 Minute--what river is that, that froze? I used to float the Deschutes with a buddy from work who was from Portland. One year, they floated the Grand Rhonde for cow elk and the river froze solid, they had to leave their equipment and take a train out. I miss Oregon.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for the delay. Been gone for a couple weeks.

That image is from the John Day. Simply does not have enough flow to keep the dead water pools open.

1Minute
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Cool pics, thanks for sharing

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

1minute here is my Oregon buck. 6x4 in full velvet. He was a cactus buck with no testicles. The taxidermist in Burns said he was the 11 buck he had taken in like that.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Springcove:

Good buck and unique. Been gone for about 3 weeks and will be heading out shortly for another 3. Have seen a couple cacti, but not gotten any good pics yet. One has the conformation of a tall spike bull, and we hope to run him down in the coming days.

Have a good one,

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.