Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am curious how often you guys spend hours preparing a meal and end up being personally disappointed. Even if the rest of the eaters think the meal is good to great.

The reason I ask is... I just spent many ihours to smoke a young cow elk loin. I thawed it all week in a zip-lock that drained the blood. I salted it and left it in the refrigerator on a grate for almost 24 hours. I let it come to room temperature while I was preparing the rest of the meal. Then I smoked (apple wood) it between 200 and 230 until it reached 127. About 2 1/2 hours. Then I let it rest wrapped in foil for at least 30 minutes. It was good, but I expected it to be better.

I did trim all of the silver skin and anything else that looked suspicious.

Really, I am simply curious if all of these fantastic pictures you guys post were as good as they look. My loin would have been a great picture. But I thought it was lackluster. Everyone else said that they liked it, but you never really know what they thought. They were probably happy not to spend the day fixing a meal.

I did make some fantastic scalloped /au gratin potatoes. They will be even better tomorrow.

Take care and thank you for your input.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Yes.

Wife and I were craving a roasted chicken with stuffing and mashed potatoes, etc.

Got a 9 lb roasting chicken, made her mom's special stuffing. Roasted it up like we always do. Pretty as something you see on the Food Network.

Zero taste.

Like if you didn't know you just cooked a chicken, you couldn't tell what you were eating.

Stuffing and taters turned out good

Dogs got chicken in their food for a few days

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Personally I like a more robust flavored smoke for game, lamb, mutton... apple, to my palate is mild and sweet...pork, poultry, some fish...otherwise I just can't fault your methods. Around here we have mountain mahogany...a sharp smelling smoke but not bitter like oak. And yes, I am my own worst critic, so am frequently disappointed. I can usually tell whether folks really like it or not by watching them go for second helpings.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It happens all too frequently when I follow a recipe that was presented to me as one that made the gods weep from joy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Most of the time, when my wife makes dinner.

IC B2

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I feel better knowing that I am not the only one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cooked a brisket for a bbq last month that I thought was overdone - bark really heavy and black, certainly not my best effort. At an event last weekend one of the guests from the bbq commented on how great that brisket was.

For last week’s event, I did an easy shrimp pasta salad. Woman who’s hosting the bbq we’re going to today took one bite and said “Make it for my party next week.”

She’s actually one of my biggest fans. A petite little thing, she can pack it away if it’s good. I know I did a good job if she’s going for 2nd or 3rd helpings.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All the time when judging my own dishes. I find I'm much more lenient judging other's cooking.

Ymmv

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never had much luck smoking deer or elk. Meat is too dark and too lean. A good rub will liven it up. Elk loin is better grilled rare with salt/pepper, spritz with EVO.

My spaghetti sauce comes out differently every time I make a batch. Some of it really sucks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't really know not having done it myself, but to me a dry brined loin doesn't seem to me to be a cut I'd smoke.

Tenderloins and backstraps make me think hot grill and a short cook time.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My spaghetti sauce comes out differently every time I make a batch. Some of it really sucks

I've not made a really bad one, but I'd like to be more consistent with that too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have never had much luck smoking deer or elk. Meat is too dark and too lean. A good rub will liven it up. Elk loin is better grilled rare with salt/pepper, spritz with EVO.

I smoke game all the time. Have to pull it early (115 deg) and sear it. You can sear on grill, I prefer a hot steel pan.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 2sticks
I feel better knowing that I am not the only one.
Definitely not the only one, it happens to me all the time.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First time I cooked antelope was a disaster. I made it into chili but didn't add any fat. After a long, low temp simmer, the chili was so dry it was hard to swallow.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
only on rare occasions am I disappointed in my cooking. I have been doing this for most of my life, profe3ssionally and at home. Working up a new recipe can have some speed bumps, but those don't really count.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I smoked this bacon wrapped beef tenderloin last fall. Cooked medium rare and it was the toughest piece of meat I've ever chewed on. The dogs ate good for a couple of days.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Cooked a brisket for a bbq last month that I thought was overdone - bark really heavy and black, certainly not my best effort. At an event last weekend one of the guests from the bbq commented on how great that brisket was...

Listening to the experts, I was under the impression that if the top and bottom bark (char) met in the middle, that was what perfection was all about.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hyperbole, or your experts weren't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First couple times I did pheasants and ducks bout 30+ years ago. Then I bought this game cookbook.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First couple times I did pheasants and ducks bout 30+ years ago. Then I bought this game cookbook.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]
I have the same book...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.