Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Our prop in Pa has several high low areas we have always struggled with reception using radios
Anyone have a suggestion on what the best units a re ive looked up motorola t645 but want some honest reviews on them before buying

Thanks in advance

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hi,
We use Baofeng ham radios off road as well as Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.
I like the handheld Baofengs, they are dirt cheap and if you hurt one, oh well. They work very well...

Pros- Cheap, functional, easy to program (See CHIRP programming)
Cons- Need a license for ham radio

But you can load FRS/GMRS frequencies and push them out at a higher wattage. The ham guys will say ILLEGAL but GMRS is pretty much the off road standard now.

Baofeng has a new 8 watt radio (output) that charges off a USB cable in your car and is very handy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antenna is far more important than output power. Far more. Are you talking handheld or vehicle use? Probably the easiest is to get a GMRS license and use a good antenna. You can also setup a repeater if you have the know how. If you are or are willing to get a ham (easy) you may have a number of repeaters already in your area that would make it simple.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by K1500
Antenna is far more important than output power. Far more. Are you talking handheld or vehicle use? Probably the easiest is to get a GMRS license and use a good antenna. You can also setup a repeater if you have the know how. If you are or are willing to get a ham (easy) you may have a number of repeaters already in your area that would make it simple.

Agreed.

Handhelds are line of sight. A good antenna will help some, but it can't magically solve terrain issues.

Terrain is everything. There's a reason antennas are atop hills and buildings. A well placed repeater can do wonders, but you'll still need to solve power issues too.

Surprising though, text messages can often be more reliable than voice. Something to consider.

Good luck.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Zero cell service is our biggest issue

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don’t use the handheld marine VHF suggested above. They are illegal to use on land and don’t really work any better than the other options. The FCC enforces illegal use of the marine bands more than any other band outside of public safety bands. The odds of getting caught are still pretty low. But why would you when there are plenty of good alternatives that are legal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by K1500
Don’t use the handheld marine VHF suggested above. They are illegal to use on land and don’t really work any better than the other options. The FCC enforces illegal use of the marine bands more than any other band outside of public safety bands. The odds of getting caught are still pretty low. But why would you when there are plenty of good alternatives that are legal.
Funny how they work here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What’s funny? That they work (of course they do)? No one disputed that a marine band radio would work on land. This issue is they are illegal to use on land. If you want to ignore that law, go right ahead.

Are they better than ham or MURS, both of which are legal? Probably not. But hey, they are pretty cheap and if you are far enough from the coast I guess you don’t need to worry too much about getting caught.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Years ago we use the Marine band to play radios right here in the middle of Missouri yes I know you weren't supposed to but they work so much better than the other little to a radios available at the time.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone of you 2-way users have a partner that waits 94 minutes to reply on comms?

Or is this just text message phenomena

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone of you 2-way users have a partner that waits 94 minutes to reply on comms?

Or is this just text message phenomena
No, we have set times to talk about what we’ve seen or if we need help dragging. Otherwise we don’t talk more than 30 seconds between 2-3 people. You don’t want to let those Hamheads get that vector on you…..LOL. No texts in “The Quiet Zone”, or at least they think there isn’t.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheap chinese ham radios make everything else look kind of pathetic. Get a license. or don't.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bingo. Get your ham license then you can use repeaters, etc. I started out with an expensive handheld (ICOM) and then discovered the Baofeng dual band radios. Basically disposable radios with no freq lock out so
you can set up your own net. If licensed you still need to respect the band assignments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We use Keenwood ProTalk handheld radios. I think they were about 300 bucks each but they work quite well. We also use GoTenna. That makes it where you can still text from your phone even when there is zero cell service. Just google GoTenna and you can read all about it. It works very good also.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have four, including two Baofeng. I have yet to use them as I am in the educational stage. My one Baofeng has a flaw in the back cover so it does not close , but I believe I have the skills to fix it. I got them mostly for emergencies. Some much to read , so little time!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.