Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been out 4 mornings since Labor Day weekend. I only do one set a morning........right at the crack. As soon as I can see to shoot 75 yards, I call. I'm 0 for 4. Yesterday morning's set is where I called in 3 separate yotes in the same set over the course of about 30 minutes last time I hunted it. Yesterday........... 2 hawks.

The top of the hill is +/- 150 yards. Caller is right on the point of the spruce tree to the right of the gun barrel.......35 yards out. Flippy bird decoy is in the brighter green field just right of the barrel at 30 yards out. Picture perfect setup...........except no coyotes. grin

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best of luck to you on killing those things, I hate them

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious what the rifle is? Just noticed that it looks like it has a magazine tube on it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Best of luck to you on killing those things, I hate them

That's why I kill em. I hate them too.

Just got pics of a pair on a trailcam.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Curious what the rifle is? Just noticed that it looks like it has a magazine tube on it.

Good observation.

It's a Remington 592M. Burris 4.5-14x42 on top.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow,a 592M. Nice piece. 5mm Rem Mag or a .22 Mag? Have you killed coyotes with it before? Taking head shots? I used to own a .22 Mag, a Marlin, and have been wishing I never sold it. Seems like .22 Mag would be dandy close up,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wow,a 592M. Nice piece. 5mm Rem Mag or a .22 Mag? Have you killed coyotes with it before? Taking head shots? I used to own a .22 Mag, a Marlin, and have been wishing I never sold it. Seems like .22 Mag would be dandy close up,

5mm Rem Mag

Both the 591M clip fed and the 592M tube fed (have one of each) were only made in 5mm Rem Mag. I've yet to shoot a coyote with a 5mm. But I'm figuring behind-the-shoulder shots. The 5mm Mag isn't what most people think when they're thinking rimfire. It's a pretty stout little round. My best on a groundhog to date is 280 lasered yards. I'm sure I can extend that another 50 yards or more under the right conditions.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
yoder, I used to visit Pa & West Va, when I first retired to hunt deer and turkey mostly. Never saw a coyote there although there were plenty around. My cousins hunted them with hounds like they used to hunt fox. They do ok.
I have often wondered about calling in that country from an elevated stand. Thought it would carry the scent above the coyotes. Here, some will try and circle downwind to be sure what is happening. Few trees here so I never tried it. I have been seeing the little devils most days when I have been sage grouse hunting. Killed a couple right before grouse opened.
I sure don't hate the old coyote, he is a pain but I spend more hours hunting him than all my big game put together, and I spend lots days doing that.
One thing I like about him season is open 24/7, no tags, no gutting, no hauling them out if you don't want to, I can shoot them with anything I want, and most people are happy to see then shot. He is a pain, but a fun one. Now golden eagles, hawks, owls, ravens, there are the real enemies of our game. And off limits.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WCH.........

I hunt them from both the ground and elevated stands.........depending on my location and the availability of a nearby stand. I, pretty much, know which woodlots the yote hole up in for the day. Hence I pretty much know which direction to expect them to come from. However, nothing is ever absolute. Pretty sure I had one downwind me last week when I hunted a new (elevated stand) set. There was a smoking fresh track in the mud on a farm road behind me. But the way the woods are, I'd have never seen it even if I knew it was there. The rolling field-woodlot terrain here makes it rough for one guy to be really effective. But sometimes it comes together. And sometimes it comes together in spades. I'm really kicking around getting an ATN Thor and going nocturnal on them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409

5mm Rem Mag

Both the 591M clip fed and the 592M tube fed (have one of each) were only made in 5mm Rem Mag. I've yet to shoot a coyote with a 5mm. But I'm figuring behind-the-shoulder shots. The 5mm Mag isn't what most people think when they're thinking rimfire. It's a pretty stout little round. My best on a groundhog to date is 280 lasered yards. I'm sure I can extend that another 50 yards or more under the right conditions.
I had a 591 5mm mag for a few years from the late 70's - early 80's. I traded it off for a .22 mag. after Remington quit making ammo for it. Never have forgiven those bastards for that as I loved that rifle. It was the first "varmint rifle" I bought when I was still in high school as an upgrade from my .22 LR for shooting woodchucks. Ended up killing everything from squirrels to deer with it over the years I owned it. My longest kill with it on a woodchuck was 255 yards .

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Yoder409

5mm Rem Mag

I had a 591 5mm mag for a few years from the late 70's - early 80's. I traded it off for a .22 mag. after Remington quit making ammo for it. Never have forgiven those bastards for that as I loved that rifle. It was the first "varmint rifle" I bought when I was still in high school as an upgrade from my .22 LR for shooting woodchucks. Ended up killing everything from squirrels to deer with it over the years I owned it. My longest kill with it on a woodchuck was 255 yards .

They ARE the schizz........when you can get ammo. Remington only supported the round for about 15 years and dropped it. N.O.S. ammo went to around a dollar per round. Then Aguila/Centurion did us all a favor and started making new. They've run it twice now. It's still somewhat available. I never shot any Remington/Peters. So I don't know how the new stuff compares. I've heard not as good. But it ain't terrible. The .17 HMR wouldn't probably exist today if Ruger and CZ woulda built a 5mm Rem rifle. Neither .22 Mag or .17 HMR have the punch of the 5mm Rem Mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What happened when you originally called in the 3 dogs at that spot?

Did you get a crack at them? Did they wind you?

If either of the above, you'll need to consider changing tactics - both the location and the call.

Are you using vocals or just distress?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
What happened when you originally called in the 3 dogs at that spot?

Did you get a crack at them? Did they wind you?

If either of the above, you'll need to consider changing tactics - both the location and the call.

Are you using vocals or just distress?

What happened was a comedy of stupid, rookie mistakes. I had my BPS 10 with #2 shot. My kid had his AR with a 4 MOA dot sight. The yotes all topped the ridge one at a time 10 or 15 minutes apart. Way too far out for a shotgun. And they all skylined. If I had brought my .220 Swift, I'd have shot every one of them in the eyeball. But only one dropped below the skyline. It was 175-ish and the kid's red dot wasn't the right tool for the job. Also......we didn't have any visual attractant to show them when they looked down at us. Just a bunch of dumb stuff that SHOULD have occurred to us........but didn't.

I have been using young coyote sounds a lot lately......howl, distress, ki-yi...... Use some cottontail distress too. But mostly young coyote right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
stroke a turkey call in my turf and this happens 75% of the time
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty dogs. Do you skin them?

By the way, what's that very interesting looking gun you have there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An acquaintance of mine killed 114 Yote in one winter! That's a lot of yotes, he loves killing.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dead ones is the only good ones.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been fortunate to do a lot of coyote hunting in both IL and WI for a long time. A spot I used to spring turkey hunt, in NW IL out by Galena, is full of them! The property manager knew I coyote called/hunted and asked me to hit the place hard last winter after deer season. He invited me out for this. After deer season, I contacted him about it and was told not to come out until he could figure out what to charge me to coyote hunt there. I said you invited me! He said there would be some sort of "trespass" fee. So guess who didn't coyote hunt there?! Lol! Too bad, it's a ton of property too! Not spring turkey hunting there anymore either...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He should pay YOU........

🙄😒

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Kinda what I figured, since he invited me out there...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.